Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:27 PM   #1
thomamon
macrumors 6502a

Verizon Upgrade Question

My wife is eligible for an upgrade on her iPhone 4 this Tuesday and of course she wants to run out and upgrade it then

So I am just wondering what we should expect to pay? Is there an upgrade discount? Do we have to pay the $30.00 activation charge? Do they do a trade in option and take her old phone?

Just want to be prepared before we go to see what I have to say.

Thanks
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:07 PM   #2
Diseal3
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomamon View Post
My wife is eligible for an upgrade on her iPhone 4 this Tuesday and of course she wants to run out and upgrade it then

So I am just wondering what we should expect to pay? Is there an upgrade discount? Do we have to pay the $30.00 activation charge? Do they do a trade in option and take her old phone?

Thanks
better off selling the phone on ebay after you get the new iphone than trading it in. You will get more money. Verizon will not waive the activation fee as easily as AT&T so you will most likely have to pay the upgrade fee.
Diseal3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:07 PM   #3
iphone46
macrumors regular

Quote:

Thanks
You will pay $199-iPhone 5 16gb $299-iPhone 5 32gb or $399 iPhone 5 64gb (assuming she wants a 5) you will also pay an upgrade fee of $30 but you may be able to call CS and get it waived. Also, I think the trade-in needs to be done online. You usually receive a verizon gift card in about 3 weeks(I did when there was a trade in promotion) and you can use it to pay the bill or when you purchase another phone
iphone46 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:21 PM   #4
thomamon
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphone46 View Post
You will pay $199-iPhone 5 16gb $299-iPhone 5 32gb or $399 iPhone 5 64gb (assuming she wants a 5) you will also pay an upgrade fee of $30 but you may be able to call CS and get it waived. Also, I think the trade-in needs to be done online. You usually receive a verizon gift card in about 3 weeks(I did when there was a trade in promotion) and you can use it to pay the bill or when you purchase another phone
She wants the 16GB...

Do I call CS first to try and have the fee waived? The CS fee is the $30 upgrade fee?

Thank you guys for your help.

EDIT: Is there a new every two discount at all? Is there any reason to upgrade at Apple or Best Buy?
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:32 PM   #5
sulpfiction
macrumors 68020

I think u should get the phone, then call CS and ask them to waive it. They most likely will if u have an excellent history with them (no late payments, multiple years with VZW, etc). Also, DO NOT trade her 4S. If its a 16g 4S u can sell for ~$250-$300 (depending on condition) on ur own very easily. Just list on CL and you'll get hits within an hour or 2. I sold mine (mint condition 32g) for $350 a month ago. You'll get no where near that if u trade.
sulpfiction is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:37 PM   #6
thomamon
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulpfiction View Post
I think u should get the phone, then call CS and ask them to waive it. They most likely will if u have an excellent history with them (no late payments, multiple years with VZW, etc). Also, DO NOT trade her 4S. If its a 16g 4S u can sell for ~$250-$300 (depending on condition) on ur own very easily. Just list on CL and you'll get hits within an hour or 2. I sold mine (mint condition 32g) for $350 a month ago. You'll get no where near that if u trade.
Its just a 4... My friend just told me they gave her $120 for hers.

Thanks so much for the help!
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:40 PM   #7
ECUpirate44
Banned

Quote:
Its just a 4... My friend just told me they gave her $120 for hers.

Thanks so much for the help!
You could get between 150-200 for a 4 depending on condition.
ECUpirate44 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:43 PM   #8
thomamon
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECUpirate44 View Post
You could get between 150-200 for a 4 depending on condition.
The phone is in great condition accept sometimes the home button you have to press a few times to get it to work.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:32 PM   #9
ECUpirate44
Banned

Quote:
The phone is in great condition accept sometimes the home button you have to press a few times to get it to work.
I'd consider that to not be great condition lol.
ECUpirate44 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:25 PM   #10
marshallbedsaul
macrumors 6502a

Exclamation

eh come on mate wait for the 5s
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:59 AM   #11
tboyd37
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to tboyd37 Send a message via Yahoo to tboyd37
i traded in a 16gb iphone 4 in december & received a gift card for $120.. this was done at a corporate store & the rep immediately applied the gift card to my account instead of just giving it to me(no big deal but i wasn't sure if they would do that or not)

the $36 upgrade fee is different.. i've heard that basically verizon will not budge on this fee no matter what.. i feel this is stupid myself(but what do i know, im only the customer ) you can try to sell it for a bit more if the phone is still in good condition(also if by chance your 4 is a 32gb then you will probably be able to score $150-200) hope this helps you out with your questions..
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:44 AM   #12
thomamon
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboyd37 View Post
i traded in a 16gb iphone 4 in december & received a gift card for $120.. this was done at a corporate store & the rep immediately applied the gift card to my account instead of just giving it to me(no big deal but i wasn't sure if they would do that or not)

the $36 upgrade fee is different.. i've heard that basically verizon will not budge on this fee no matter what.. i feel this is stupid myself(but what do i know, im only the customer ) you can try to sell it for a bit more if the phone is still in good condition(also if by chance your 4 is a 32gb then you will probably be able to score $150-200) hope this helps you out with your questions..
Thanks
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:58 AM   #13
evilrt
macrumors regular

another unsuspecting grandfathered unlimited data customer bites the dust. let us all bow our heads in a moment of silence.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:03 AM   #14
thomamon
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilrt View Post
another unsuspecting grandfathered unlimited data customer bites the dust. let us all bow our heads in a moment of silence.
We already bit the dust with that when I got my 5
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:34 PM   #15
evilrt
macrumors regular

ouch. Not to get off topic but I have to ask...any regrets?
evilrt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:45 PM   #16
thomamon
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilrt View Post
ouch. Not to get off topic but I have to ask...any regrets?
No, I never touched 2gb anyway, but with wife on lte now will monitor to see if I need to bump it to 4.

Just starting to stream more now tho...
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:05 PM   #17
C DM
macrumors 604

Yeah, unlike AT&T, it seems (based on a long thread about that here), Verizon won't do much to offset the $30 upgrade fee. So, now instead of getting some money towards getting a new phone, like New Every Two (NE2) which used to give $100, then $50 or $30, depending on your plan, not only are you not getting any extra discounts, but you get to pay the carrier for the privilege of upgrading and singing up to stay with them for 2 more years. Makes total sense, right?
C DM is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone