Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:14 AM   #26
960design
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebulance View Post
for programmers, file systems are important. Once you're used to writing programs and using a terminal all the time, it's second nature to know where all your files are and how programs handle them. I know it's not the same experience on iPad or iPhone, but as a programmer, it's nice to know where and how things are stored and how things work.
I'm a programmer, actually writing an app right now ( okay, taking a break RIGHT now, but you get me ). I know where everything I need is on the iPad. File systems are important, access to them by most users is not. Just a change in thinking, like moving from 'Merica to GB; gotta learn to drive on the other side of the road, not better or worse, just different, and can slow you down when turning through complex intersections HaHA!
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:17 AM   #27
SeanR1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumorUser View Post
And in doing so he is asking you commit copyright theft.
So, is everyone listening to the song at the party who hasn't purchased it committing copyright theft? Just wondering.
SeanR1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:24 AM   #28
Jman13
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanR1 View Post
So, is everyone listening to the song at the party who hasn't purchased it committing copyright theft? Just wondering.
That is completely different, and you know it. Playing your music is what you do with it. However, giving free copies of it to others to take with them to listen to it whenever they want when they leave is absolutely theft. Can you honestly not see the difference?
Jman13 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:58 AM   #29
SeanR1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman13 View Post
That is completely different, and you know it. Playing your music is what you do with it. However, giving free copies of it to others to take with them to listen to it whenever they want when they leave is absolutely theft. Can you honestly not see the difference?
No, that's why I asked, I wasn't trying to be an ass. I have always been confused by copyright stuff. You can listen whenever you want at a friends house, but not on your iPad. He can add his friend to his iTunes account and then it's ok, for his friend to have it.

Like I said, I'm not trying to be an ass, it's just a lot of "this is ok, but this isn't, but they are almost the same thing" I guess I get lost in the minutiae. It seems like its not ok for anyone to listen to "your" music, "technically". I'll probably never get it I guess.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:00 AM   #30
tbrinkma
macrumors 65816

Quote:
No.
If the party is a private affair at a private residence, then it isn't a public performance, so you're good.
If it's an event open to the public, or at a public venue then the host needs to make sure the the public performance fees for the songs being played are paid or he/she is violating copyright with a public performance (not copyright theft, that's something different entirely).

Sure, it's rarely enforced because it's hard to catch people doing it, but if you *do* get caught, the fees they can charge and the fines you can get stuck with (should a lawsuit ensue) are nasty.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:02 AM   #31
tbrinkma
macrumors 65816

Quote:
No, that's why I asked, I wasn't trying to be an ass. I have always been confused by copyright stuff. You can listen whenever you want at a friends house, but not on your iPad. He can add his friend to his iTunes account and then it's ok, for his friend to have it.

Like I said, I'm not trying to be an ass, it's just a lot of "this is ok, but this isn't, but they are almost the same thing" I guess I get lost in the minutiae. It seems like its not ok for anyone to listen to "your" music, "technically". I'll probably never get it I guess.
Actually, the 'add a friend to your iTunes account' method very likely *isn't* legal, unless that 'friend' is a family member.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:43 AM   #32
Jman13
macrumors 65816

Quote:

I apologize for my tone, then. I took it as a 'gotcha' sort of comment. Basically, when you buy a song, you have the right to play it and move it to your devices. However, if you make a copy to give to someone else for them to own, then you've violated the copyright of the artist, as your friend has obtained a full copy of the song without compensating the copyright owner/studio/etc.

The use of the same Apple ID on other people's devices I'm sure is not strictly legal. The reason Apple allows you to use your Apple ID on multiple devices is because many people own multiple Apple devices on their own. within your family is a gray area, as the devices could still be considered 'yours', but you're still making multiple copies for other people that didn't purchase it. However, since this has been essentially the status quo for families from well before digital media (making a tape or burning a CD for your spouse/kid), no one is going to prosecute there.
Jman13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:08 AM   #33
SeanR1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I apologize for my tone, then. I took it as a 'gotcha' sort of comment. Basically, when you buy a song, you have the right to play it and move it to your devices. However, if you make a copy to give to someone else for them to own, then you've violated the copyright of the artist, as your friend has obtained a full copy of the song without compensating the copyright owner/studio/etc.

The use of the same Apple ID on other people's devices I'm sure is not strictly legal. The reason Apple allows you to use your Apple ID on multiple devices is because many people own multiple Apple devices on their own. within your family is a gray area, as the devices could still be considered 'yours', but you're still making multiple copies for other people that didn't purchase it. However, since this has been essentially the status quo for families from well before digital media (making a tape or burning a CD for your spouse/kid), no one is going to prosecute there.
Thanks. So, it is the device that matters and not who's listening to it then? I guess I'm kind of stuck in the past. So back in the day, was it "technically" illegal when I lent a cassette tape to a friend? I know it doesn't matter now, but it's how I get it straight in my head. Thanks for trying to help me understand.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:34 AM   #34
tdhurst
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to tdhurst Send a message via Yahoo to tdhurst Send a message via Skype™ to tdhurst
Okay...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebulance View Post
for programmers, file systems are important. Once you're used to writing programs and using a terminal all the time, it's second nature to know where all your files are and how programs handle them. I know it's not the same experience on iPad or iPhone, but as a programmer, it's nice to know where and how things are stored and how things work.
Sure, but not allowing people in so they can break things and make their primary communication device inoperable seems a far better choice.
tdhurst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:34 AM   #35
Jman13
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Thanks. So, it is the device that matters and not who's listening to it then? I guess I'm kind of stuck in the past. So back in the day, was it "technically" illegal when I lent a cassette tape to a friend? I know it doesn't matter now, but it's how I get it straight in my head. Thanks for trying to help me understand.
No, because youtrnsferred your license to someone else. If you COPIED it for your friend, so he could listen to it at his house at the same time you listened to it at yours, then yes, that's illegal...if you give him your own tape, though, there's no copying involved for distribution. While not always the case, a good rule of thumb is this : if what you're doing with a song would take away a sale had you not done it, it's theft. So copying a song to give to your friend allows both of you to listen to it separately...this would normally require you both to purchase the song, but the copying took away the sale. Theft. If you're listening to it together, or you give your copy to someone else, making it impossible for you to now listen to it while they are listening to it, this can be done easily without taking away a sale, and it's OK.
Jman13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:00 AM   #36
SeanR1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
No, because youtrnsferred your license to someone else. If you COPIED it for your friend, so he could listen to it at his house at the same time you listened to it at yours, then yes, that's illegal...if you give him your own tape, though, there's no copying involved for distribution. While not always the case, a good rule of thumb is this : if what you're doing with a song would take away a sale had you not done it, it's theft. So copying a song to give to your friend allows both of you to listen to it separately...this would normally require you both to purchase the song, but the copying took away the sale. Theft. If you're listening to it together, or you give your copy to someone else, making it impossible for you to now listen to it while they are listening to it, this can be done easily without taking away a sale, and it's OK.
Cool Thanks. That's an easy explanation I can understand.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:34 PM   #37
Nebulance
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 960design View Post
I'm a programmer, actually writing an app right now ( okay, taking a break RIGHT now, but you get me ). I know where everything I need is on the iPad. File systems are important, access to them by most users is not. Just a change in thinking, like moving from 'Merica to GB; gotta learn to drive on the other side of the road, not better or worse, just different, and can slow you down when turning through complex intersections HaHA!
oh, I agree. It's just amazing to think of how my mindset has changed since doing programming of my own for the past 4--5 years!
Nebulance is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad