Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jkheit

Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
Hi All:

4, hopefully, quick questions:

1) Are there any 7xxx (or other modern) cards that support 5 or 6 displays (now that 10.8.3 is out).
2) Are any of those cards either single slot, or at least dont need huge power draws (ie just one power cable instead of two power cables) like the 5870 cards?
3) are there any supported NVidia/other cards that are supported under OSX that drive 5/6 displays?
4) Does anyone know where (forums, etc) I might look to pick up a used XFX 577x Eyefinity 5 card (model # HD-577X-Z5F3); didn't see any on ebay and none can be found at online vendors?

I'm pretty close (fingers crossed) at getting my 10 display rig going thanks to calvintml's (on netkas forums) help. *I got an XFX-577x with 5 display ports working, and since that card is no longer available ANYWHERE, I'm getting a PowerColoer Eyefinity 5 card as well (which seems to be a 1.5 slot card, that is at least low power. *Hopefully I'll get this going on Monday.

Anyway, since the first slot on the MacPro is double-wide, I'm wondering if there is a more modern 5 or 6 port card I can use, with modest power draw so I can still use the XFX single slot 5770 with it?

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
have no idea if these guys are legit or not, but they seem to have a 5770 Eyefinity 6 in stock, based on the model number your provided. All of the information appears to be correct except they've listed Nvidia as the mfr. That could just be a copy and paste error. I'd call them up and verify, after researching whether they are legit or not.

http://www.memory4less.com/m4l_itemd...mid=1461218349

jkheit

Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
have no idea if these guys are legit or not, but they seem to have a 5770 Eyefinity 6 in stock, based on the model number your provided. All of the information appears to be correct except they've listed Nvidia as the mfr. That could just be a copy and paste error. I'd call them up and verify, after researching whether they are legit or not.

http://www.memory4less.com/m4l_itemd...mid=1461218349

Yea, I tried them and the other spots on google shopping, but none actually have it. Just a phantom entry on their system. But appreciate the help nonetheless. :)

jkheit

Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
7870 eyefinity 6 but is dual slot

The dual slot might be ok, but doesnt it require 2 power cables? That's the problem. I'd like to use 2 such cards, but if they both need 2 power leads, then you cant run it without adding a 2nd powersupply to the machine, which sounds like a pain... :(

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
The dual slot might be ok, but doesnt it require 2 power cables? That's the problem. I'd like to use 2 such cards, but if they both need 2 power leads, then you cant run it without adding a 2nd powersupply to the machine, which sounds like a pain... :(

Sorry, yes you're right - the card needs 2 6 pin connectors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.