Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old May 23, 2013, 11:04 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Evernote Adds Reminders to Mac and iOS Apps in Update

Evernote has added the ability to set reminders and alarms to its note-taking and organizational app, a popular new feature request the company says.
Quote:
For the millions and millions of people around the world that use Evernote everyday to achieve their goals, we're excited to announce a new part of Evernote that will keep you on track every step of the way. Reminders are here. Our three most requested features rolled into one small package:

- In-app and email Alarms
- Quick note based to-do lists
- Pinning notes to the top of your note list
Evernote has additional details on how the new features work in a post on its blog.

Evernote is a free download for Mac and iOS, though premium subscriptions are available. [Direct Links: Mac, iOS]

Article Link: Evernote Adds Reminders to Mac and iOS Apps in Update
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 11:36 AM   #2
MDomino
macrumors member

At last.
I wonder what took them so long?

Probably they had no reminders to remind them to add reminders.
MDomino is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 11:41 AM   #3
WilliamLondon
macrumors 68000

This great app just keeps getting better and better.
WilliamLondon is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 11:41 AM   #4
Patriks7
macrumors 65816

The most awesome app just got even better.
Patriks7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 11:54 AM   #5
nekonari
macrumors member

Didn't really think of using Evernote as a todo/reminder lists.

But I'm not a fan of using pinch-out to go to time-selection wheel on iPhones.
nekonari is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 11:58 AM   #6
rhett7660
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamLondon View Post
This great app just keeps getting better and better.
Agree, my most used app next to Zite. This is great news!!!
Old May 23, 2013, 12:05 PM   #7
joneill55
macrumors 6502

Another nice feature added to a really good program.

Not a fan of the IOS clunky slow mobile platform start up, but with the addition of AgileTortise "Drafts" to quickly send notes to Evernote, this has made it very useful skipping the slow clunky start up of mobile Evernote.
joneill55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 12:59 PM   #8
marvin4653
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joneill55 View Post
Another nice feature added to a really good program.

Not a fan of the IOS clunky slow mobile platform start up, but with the addition of AgileTortise "Drafts" to quickly send notes to Evernote, this has made it very useful skipping the slow clunky start up of mobile Evernote.
Whoa, thanks for the pointer to "Drafts"! I also like Evernote for cross-platform syncing and organization of notes, but I would still find myself opening up the iOS "Notes" app if I wanted to quickly take a note down without waiting for Evernote to open and without needing to decide how to categorize the note. I just downloaded Drafts and it's excellent.
marvin4653 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 01:27 PM   #9
fivedots
macrumors 6502a

Nice addition.

What I really want is Listary to add Evernote support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvin4653 View Post
Whoa, thanks for the pointer to "Drafts"! I also like Evernote for cross-platform syncing and organization of notes, but I would still find myself opening up the iOS "Notes" app if I wanted to quickly take a note down without waiting for Evernote to open and without needing to decide how to categorize the note. I just downloaded Drafts and it's excellent.
FastEver works extremely well for this as well.
fivedots is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 01:28 PM   #10
john g.
macrumors newbie

There seems to be some issues with this update:

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic...-not-open-now/

It installed fine on one computer [MBP] for me. I tried to install later on another computer [iMac] and kept getting error messages.

Just a heads up.
john g. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 01:38 PM   #11
WilliamLondon
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett7660 View Post
Agree, my most used app next to Zite. This is great news!!!
It is great news, I use Wunderlist as my basic to-do and reminder app, this new functionality might even fully replace that, which is sad for Wunderlist (a nice app in its own right) but for me it's a very good thing.
WilliamLondon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 01:39 PM   #12
needfx
macrumors 68000

I've installed it back in 1947 but wasn't really impressed by the functionality. design-wise I did like it
needfx is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 02:34 PM   #13
iwbyte
macrumors newbie

I'd like to move to evernote, but I'm really attached to Siri - I use Siri to set reminders all day, since that part of my brain fails quickly after shuttling kids around to activites and I find just enough time to shout out for Siri to remind me to do something when I get back home.

While I don't think Apple would ever do it, it would be really nice if Siri could be used for other apps.
iwbyte is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 02:49 PM   #14
rhett7660
macrumors 604

Quote:
It is great news, I use Wunderlist as my basic to-do and reminder app, this new functionality might even fully replace that, which is sad for Wunderlist (a nice app in its own right) but for me it's a very good thing.
It is funny that you mention Wunderlist, that is what I also use. Too funny. I really like Wunderlist and I really like the desktop version. Good stuff to say the least.
Old May 24, 2013, 09:24 AM   #15
Xenomorph
macrumors 6502a

I think the app gets worse and worse.

I always thought of it as a NOTE-taking app. "Evernote". A way to organize my notes instead of having a folder full of TXT files.

The software is INCREDIBLY inconsistent.

The iOS app has one view on iPhone, with Favorites, but then when the same app was loaded on iPad, it would lose the Favorites folder.

The Windows app looks a certain way, with its own tools and formatting.

The Mac OS X app looks a totally different way, with its own set of different tools.

On iOS, when you paste text, it doesn't simplify the text. Your note may be a consistent font size and style, but then you paste something in, and suddenly your fonts and text size are all screwed up.

If what you paste is a link, you cannot edit/change/remove that link on iOS. You have to open the note on something like Mac OS X to remove or change the link and then re-sync the note.

I just want a SIMPLE note-taking app. Even Apple's own notes have a ton of problems.

And now this latest Evernote Mac OS X update, it changes to some weird "vertical" view with the notes on the right side instead of the bottom.
Xenomorph is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013, 09:41 AM   #16
fivedots
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Same here, I also use Wunderlist and got excited that I might be able to roll two apps into one.

Unfortunately I don't see Evernote Reminders allowing me to do that. While it's a nice feature, it's too cumbersome to enter tasks quickly. Managing each task as a note also leaves something to be desired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenomorph View Post

I always thought of it as a NOTE-taking app. "Evernote". A way to organize my notes instead of having a folder full of TXT files.

The iOS app has one view on iPhone, with Favorites, but then when the same app was loaded on iPad, it would lose the Favorites folder.

The Mac OS X app looks a totally different way, with its own set of different tools.

On iOS, when you paste text, it doesn't simplify the text. Your note may be a consistent font size and style, but then you paste something in, and suddenly your fonts and text size are all screwed up.

If what you paste is a link, you cannot edit/change/remove that link on iOS. You have to open the note on something like Mac OS X to remove or change the link and then re-sync the note.

I just want a SIMPLE note-taking app. Even Apple's own notes have a ton of problems.

And now this latest Evernote Mac OS X update, it changes to some weird "vertical" view with the notes on the right side instead of the bottom.
Try Simplenote. It's...simple.
fivedots is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013, 01:18 PM   #17
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 68040

An update. https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/27456/evernote
Old May 24, 2013, 02:54 PM   #18
palpatine
macrumors 68040

Quote:

Favorites have been phased out over time, and I don't think they have ever been available on the iPad.

Quote:

They are actually quite similar in their functionality, but separate development teams tailor them to each OS. This has pluses and minuses, but one good thing that I appreciate is that they take advantage of the strengths of each platform instead of making an app that only works so-so everywhere.

Quote:
There is a simplify formatting and a make plain text option in iOS to deal with this.

Quote:
Not in my experience. I have no problem removing links.

Quote:

The vertical view is great, in my opinion, but to each his own. It certainly would be nice if they would provide more options to users like having both types of views.

As for a simple notetaking app, obviously simplenote (as suggested before) is great, but I prefer notesy (iOS) + nvALT (OSX) for plain text. These are both excellent apps, though neither of them come close to having the kind of robust search options available in Evernote.

Anyhow, there are a lot of options, and I think Evernote should definitely be high on anyone's list of apps to think about for use with notetaking.
palpatine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013, 03:50 PM   #19
JayCee842
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDomino View Post
At last.
I wonder what took them so long?

Probably they had no reminders to remind them to add reminders.
I agree. I have tried every note taking app and none is as great as Evernote!
JayCee842 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013, 04:44 PM   #20
AndyR
macrumors 6502a

Evernote has changed the way I use Notes/Lists/Browsing and also how I keep notes in the office, and this is just awesome news to have reminders built in!
Old May 24, 2013, 06:41 PM   #21
WilliamLondon
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivedots View Post
Same here, I also use Wunderlist and got excited that I might be able to roll two apps into one.

Unfortunately I don't see Evernote Reminders allowing me to do that. While it's a nice feature, it's too cumbersome to enter tasks quickly. Managing each task as a note also leaves something to be desired.
I haven't had a chance to really play with it yet, that's good to know, thanks for the information. It is just rev 1 of this feature, perhaps they'll enhance it in the future - you should send them a note with your thoughts, especially if it doesn't yet meet your expectations that would allow you to drop another similarly featured application. If I were a product manager at Evernote, I'd love to get that sort of information from a user.

In the past I have tried using Evernote as a GTD app - there is a great book out there to help you, but the whole process was just was too cumbersome for me, so I went with Wunderlist, which is basic and easy to use (and cross platform).

Evernote is great, I use it for more and more things - e.g. storing URLs or web articles (it's so easy), I now also take pictures of receipts and store them in a "cabinet" in Evernote, I've got important information stored in Evernote, I'm just starting to store recipes in Evernote and Evernote Food looks like it'll be a great little app, and of course I transcribe all my notes from my lectures - this application is becoming quite central to my life, so I welcome additional features being added over time.
WilliamLondon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2013, 12:35 AM   #22
Simplicated
macrumors 65816

Quote:
This has nothing to do with Evernote. It's iOS that does not allow you to paste without formatting.
Simplicated is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2013, 08:35 PM   #23
joneill55
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvin4653 View Post

Indeed. Drafts with its great linking feature is my "go to" app frequently all day long. It allows to quickly capture and "move on". I'm really digging it!
joneill55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2013, 03:56 AM   #24
Kattym
macrumors member

Send a message via Skype™ to Kattym
Quote:

I wouldn't be so critical about Evernote as it is still one of the most advanced note taking software. Yes, they have the problems with the layouts and management systems for various devices. But I think it is caused by the differences in possibilities of soft installed on Mac or iPad.
Kattym is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion