Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 6, 2013, 02:09 PM   #1
Inabsentia7
macrumors newbie

Screen scratches (iPhone 5)

I discovered a couple of scratches on the screen of my iPhone 5 today which I found highly upsetting as I treat my phone like a baby going so far as to not even lay it down on a hard surface. This happened at about the same time I got my first real scuff so the double dose of QC shoddiness was too much for me to handle.

I always thought the screen was supposed to be highly resistant to scratches even when scratched purposefully with a key or something? Is this a common problem?

I'm pretty stumped as to where they came from as the only thing the screen has touched is a microfiber cloth and the insides of my pocket with nothing else in it. I did not inspect the screen out of the box.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by Inabsentia7; Jan 6, 2013 at 02:16 PM.
Inabsentia7 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 02:28 PM   #2
evorc
macrumors regular

Yea the screen is not scratch but the oleophobic costing does.
evorc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 02:38 PM   #3
Inabsentia7
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by evorc View Post
So does this mean the scratches will wear off eventually?
Inabsentia7 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 02:43 PM   #4
as0016
macrumors member

No, just means youll notice it less if the oleophobic coating starts to scratch and wear more and become more uniform again.
as0016 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 02:46 PM   #5
JS82712
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inabsentia7 View Post
I discovered a couple of scratches on the screen of my iPhone 5 today which I found highly upsetting as I treat my phone like a baby going so far as to not even lay it down on a hard surface. This happened at about the same time I got my first real scuff so the double dose of QC shoddiness was too much for me to handle.

I always thought the screen was supposed to be highly resistant to scratches even when scratched purposefully with a key or something? Is this a common problem?

I'm pretty stumped as to where they came from as the only thing the screen has touched is a microfiber cloth and the insides of my pocket with nothing else in it. I did not inspect the screen out of the box.

Any help would be appreciated.
Yes the screen does scratch easily (perhaps it's the coating that's coming off, but either way it looks bad)

I tried using my retina iPad without a screen protector (because the screen is so awesome to look at but small scratches started showing up after a week ;(
JS82712 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 11:39 PM   #6
evorc
macrumors regular

It's a trade off we have to live with. I would rather have the coating and have hairline scratches than not having it. Otherwise it will be smuged all over.
evorc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 11:48 PM   #7
BigMcGuire
macrumors 6502

Had an iPhone 4s for over a year. Babied it and NEVER had a scratch. Two weeks after owning my iPhone 5 and treating it the same....... SCRATCH. It's clear that 5 doesn't have the same resilience that the 4s has.
BigMcGuire is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 11:50 PM   #8
wxman2003
macrumors 65816

The coating doesn't last that long anyway. Want to get rid of those scratches? 70% to 90% rubbing alcohol on a soft tissue and wipe the screen a few times.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 01:25 AM   #9
Inabsentia7
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman2003 View Post
The coating doesn't last that long anyway. Want to get rid of those scratches? 70% to 90% rubbing alcohol on a soft tissue and wipe the screen a few times.
Oh that's fine then. As long as the actual screen surface isn't scratched I'm great
Inabsentia7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 02:15 AM   #10
AnorexicPig
macrumors 6502

Had an iPhone 4S,before that a 4 and now an iP5-all without screen protectors,and apart from a few hairline in iP4,had none scratches in 4S and now 2 months into 5,no scratches to speak off-yes I do baby them though.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 05:47 AM   #11
WeegieMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS82712 View Post
Yes the screen does scratch easily (perhaps it's the coating that's coming off, but either way it looks bad)

I tried using my retina iPad without a screen protector (because the screen is so awesome to look at but small scratches started showing up after a week ;(
I've used my iPad 3 without a screen protector, but using a Smart Cover, since launch and the screen is perfect. And that's after scrutinising it under light.
WeegieMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 06:09 AM   #12
maflynn

Quote:
This is the primary reason why I put a skin on my iPhone. I had the olephobic coating wear off on one of my older iPhones and it looked like crap. I use ghost armor to protect the coating and thus the resale value.
maflynn is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 03:29 PM   #13
saccento
macrumors 6502a

Same with my iPhone 5. NEVER had scratches on the screen on my iPhone 4 or 4S. My iPhone 5 has at least 5 light scratches which are visible in the light. Annoying!
Old Jan 9, 2013, 08:39 PM   #14
docal97
macrumors 6502a

I really can't understand why people don't strongly consider a screen protector for their devices. There are just so many posts about people who baby their devices and still get scratches and then complain of these scratches and that the QC of the device is poor.

We simply aren't at the point yet where a phone/tablet screen is completely scratch/scuff proof. True, they are getting better, but regular use, despite being careful, may not be enough to prevent scratching. Just think of all the ways that we use our phones/tablets. It's hard to be completely careful all of the time.

The current generation of screen protectors are of such high quality that they are barely noticeable and hardly detract from the screen clarity.
docal97 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 08:40 PM   #15
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
Extremely common topic. Scratch resistant != unscratchable. Being careful can help to prevent scratches but it's not a guarantee.

Whether it's common or not is irrelevant. Each person has to decided what precautionary measures one is willing to take. If you can't stand scratches at all then use a screen protector.

Also, keys are not harder than glass so they won't scratch glass. However, sand, for example, will.

Quote:
I'm pretty stumped as to where they came from as the only thing the screen has touched is a microfiber cloth and the insides of my pocket with nothing else in it.
Probably small grit harder than your screen. Using microfiber doesn't help if it has such grit on it. Not saying that's what happened to you but don't just assume that microfiber won't scratch. It can easily pick up stuff that will scratch if you're not careful.

Quote:
I wouldn't just assume that. Depends on the specific scratch and how deep it is.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:34 AM   #16
blairh
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by saccento View Post
Same with my iPhone 5. NEVER had scratches on the screen on my iPhone 4 or 4S. My iPhone 5 has at least 5 light scratches which are visible in the light. Annoying!
Yeah I seriously think something is up with the iPhone 5 screen. I had a 3G and 4 for 2 years each and never once a scratch (even with the occasional drop). I have 5 subtle scratches on my iPhone 5 screen with a few small drops. (But I'm using a case with front protection.)

I honestly think the iPhone 5 screen is more prone to scratches compared to the screens of my old 3G and 4, which is very odd and bizarre.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 01:10 PM   #17
truelies
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blairh View Post
Yeah I seriously think something is up with the iPhone 5 screen. I had a 3G and 4 for 2 years each and never once a scratch (even with the occasional drop). I have 5 subtle scratches on my iPhone 5 screen with a few small drops. (But I'm using a case with front protection.)

I honestly think the iPhone 5 screen is more prone to scratches compared to the screens of my old 3G and 4, which is very odd and bizarre.
I believe apple downgraded the glass from iphone 5.
truelies is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 01:35 PM   #18
moldy lunchbox
macrumors 6502

My iPhone 4 never got any scratches, then I get buy an Olloclip for my iphone 5 and first thing I see when I take it off....scratch -_____- i refuse to use screen protectors because my Olloclip lens will just tear em' up when I use it to take photos.
moldy lunchbox is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 02:22 PM   #19
pnoyblazed
macrumors 6502a

*looks at screen* nope mine is flawless (no case, no screen protector) - launch day iPhone 5
pnoyblazed is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 02:33 PM   #20
Feed Me
Banned

I've got an extremely small hairline scratch on my iPhone 5. Like the OP, I've literally no idea where it came from, especially since the rest of the phone is in mint condition.

I own two iPod touches and an iPad 2, and none of them have a single scratch on the screen.

Annoying.
Feed Me is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 03:27 PM   #21
cruzmisl
macrumors member

The rivets on my jeans are the usual culprit for screen scratches on my devices.
cruzmisl is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2013, 01:48 PM   #22
1DApple
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoyblazed View Post
*looks at screen* nope mine is flawless (no case, no screen protector) - launch day iPhone 5
ditto
1DApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone