Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 6, 2013, 02:09 PM   #1
Inabsentia7
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Screen scratches (iPhone 5)

I discovered a couple of scratches on the screen of my iPhone 5 today which I found highly upsetting as I treat my phone like a baby going so far as to not even lay it down on a hard surface. This happened at about the same time I got my first real scuff so the double dose of QC shoddiness was too much for me to handle.

I always thought the screen was supposed to be highly resistant to scratches even when scratched purposefully with a key or something? Is this a common problem?

I'm pretty stumped as to where they came from as the only thing the screen has touched is a microfiber cloth and the insides of my pocket with nothing else in it. I did not inspect the screen out of the box.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by Inabsentia7; Jan 6, 2013 at 02:16 PM.
Inabsentia7 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 02:28 PM   #2
evorc
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Yea the screen is not scratch but the oleophobic costing does.
evorc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 02:38 PM   #3
Inabsentia7
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by evorc View Post
Yea the screen is not scratch but the oleophobic costing does.
So does this mean the scratches will wear off eventually?
Inabsentia7 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 02:43 PM   #4
as0016
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
No, just means youll notice it less if the oleophobic coating starts to scratch and wear more and become more uniform again.
as0016 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 02:46 PM   #5
JS82712
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inabsentia7 View Post
I discovered a couple of scratches on the screen of my iPhone 5 today which I found highly upsetting as I treat my phone like a baby going so far as to not even lay it down on a hard surface. This happened at about the same time I got my first real scuff so the double dose of QC shoddiness was too much for me to handle.

I always thought the screen was supposed to be highly resistant to scratches even when scratched purposefully with a key or something? Is this a common problem?

I'm pretty stumped as to where they came from as the only thing the screen has touched is a microfiber cloth and the insides of my pocket with nothing else in it. I did not inspect the screen out of the box.

Any help would be appreciated.
Yes the screen does scratch easily (perhaps it's the coating that's coming off, but either way it looks bad)

I tried using my retina iPad without a screen protector (because the screen is so awesome to look at but small scratches started showing up after a week ;(
JS82712 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 11:39 PM   #6
evorc
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
It's a trade off we have to live with. I would rather have the coating and have hairline scratches than not having it. Otherwise it will be smuged all over.
evorc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 11:48 PM   #7
BigMcGuire
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Had an iPhone 4s for over a year. Babied it and NEVER had a scratch. Two weeks after owning my iPhone 5 and treating it the same....... SCRATCH. It's clear that 5 doesn't have the same resilience that the 4s has.
BigMcGuire is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 11:50 PM   #8
wxman2003
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
The coating doesn't last that long anyway. Want to get rid of those scratches? 70% to 90% rubbing alcohol on a soft tissue and wipe the screen a few times.
__________________
iMac I5, Macbook, iPad Air, iPad rMini, iPhone 5s, ATV 3
wxman2003 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 01:25 AM   #9
Inabsentia7
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman2003 View Post
The coating doesn't last that long anyway. Want to get rid of those scratches? 70% to 90% rubbing alcohol on a soft tissue and wipe the screen a few times.
Oh that's fine then. As long as the actual screen surface isn't scratched I'm great
Inabsentia7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 02:15 AM   #10
AnorexicPig
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Winnipeg,Canada/New Delhi India
Had an iPhone 4S,before that a 4 and now an iP5-all without screen protectors,and apart from a few hairline in iP4,had none scratches in 4S and now 2 months into 5,no scratches to speak off-yes I do baby them though.
__________________
MacBook Pro 13" with Retina Display- Late 2013 2.4/8/256, iPhone 5 16GB
AnorexicPig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 05:47 AM   #11
WeegieMac
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Glasgow, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS82712 View Post
Yes the screen does scratch easily (perhaps it's the coating that's coming off, but either way it looks bad)

I tried using my retina iPad without a screen protector (because the screen is so awesome to look at but small scratches started showing up after a week ;(
I've used my iPad 3 without a screen protector, but using a Smart Cover, since launch and the screen is perfect. And that's after scrutinising it under light.
WeegieMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 06:09 AM   #12
maflynn
Moderator
 
maflynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston
Quote:
Originally Posted by evorc View Post
Yea the screen is not scratch but the oleophobic costing does.
This is the primary reason why I put a skin on my iPhone. I had the olephobic coating wear off on one of my older iPhones and it looked like crap. I use ghost armor to protect the coating and thus the resale value.
maflynn is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 03:29 PM   #13
saccento
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Northern NJ
Same with my iPhone 5. NEVER had scratches on the screen on my iPhone 4 or 4S. My iPhone 5 has at least 5 light scratches which are visible in the light. Annoying!
__________________
13'' MacBook Pro, iPhone 5s 32gb Space Gray, Apple TV 1080p, Nikon D90
saccento is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 08:39 PM   #14
docal97
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southampton
I really can't understand why people don't strongly consider a screen protector for their devices. There are just so many posts about people who baby their devices and still get scratches and then complain of these scratches and that the QC of the device is poor.

We simply aren't at the point yet where a phone/tablet screen is completely scratch/scuff proof. True, they are getting better, but regular use, despite being careful, may not be enough to prevent scratching. Just think of all the ways that we use our phones/tablets. It's hard to be completely careful all of the time.

The current generation of screen protectors are of such high quality that they are barely noticeable and hardly detract from the screen clarity.
docal97 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 08:40 PM   #15
takeshi74
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inabsentia7 View Post
I always thought the screen was supposed to be highly resistant to scratches even when scratched purposefully with a key or something? Is this a common problem?
Extremely common topic. Scratch resistant != unscratchable. Being careful can help to prevent scratches but it's not a guarantee.

Whether it's common or not is irrelevant. Each person has to decided what precautionary measures one is willing to take. If you can't stand scratches at all then use a screen protector.

Also, keys are not harder than glass so they won't scratch glass. However, sand, for example, will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inabsentia7 View Post
I'm pretty stumped as to where they came from as the only thing the screen has touched is a microfiber cloth and the insides of my pocket with nothing else in it.
Probably small grit harder than your screen. Using microfiber doesn't help if it has such grit on it. Not saying that's what happened to you but don't just assume that microfiber won't scratch. It can easily pick up stuff that will scratch if you're not careful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evorc View Post
Yea the screen is not scratch but the oleophobic costing does.
I wouldn't just assume that. Depends on the specific scratch and how deep it is.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:34 AM   #16
blairh
macrumors 68000
 
blairh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Boston/NYC/LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by saccento View Post
Same with my iPhone 5. NEVER had scratches on the screen on my iPhone 4 or 4S. My iPhone 5 has at least 5 light scratches which are visible in the light. Annoying!
Yeah I seriously think something is up with the iPhone 5 screen. I had a 3G and 4 for 2 years each and never once a scratch (even with the occasional drop). I have 5 subtle scratches on my iPhone 5 screen with a few small drops. (But I'm using a case with front protection.)

I honestly think the iPhone 5 screen is more prone to scratches compared to the screens of my old 3G and 4, which is very odd and bizarre.
__________________
Mac Mini + 20" ACD. iPad Mini. Nexus 5. (After 5 years w/an iPhone.)
blairh is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 01:10 PM   #17
truelies
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by blairh View Post
Yeah I seriously think something is up with the iPhone 5 screen. I had a 3G and 4 for 2 years each and never once a scratch (even with the occasional drop). I have 5 subtle scratches on my iPhone 5 screen with a few small drops. (But I'm using a case with front protection.)

I honestly think the iPhone 5 screen is more prone to scratches compared to the screens of my old 3G and 4, which is very odd and bizarre.
I believe apple downgraded the glass from iphone 5.
truelies is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 01:35 PM   #18
moldy lunchbox
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
My iPhone 4 never got any scratches, then I get buy an Olloclip for my iphone 5 and first thing I see when I take it off....scratch -_____- i refuse to use screen protectors because my Olloclip lens will just tear em' up when I use it to take photos.
__________________
-  13" Macbook Pro i5 8gb ram
-  iPhone 5S Gold 32GB Unlocked on AT&T
- Samsung Galaxy Tablet 7"
moldy lunchbox is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 02:22 PM   #19
pnoyblazed
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: 212
*looks at screen* nope mine is flawless (no case, no screen protector) - launch day iPhone 5
pnoyblazed is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 02:33 PM   #20
Feed Me
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Location Location
I've got an extremely small hairline scratch on my iPhone 5. Like the OP, I've literally no idea where it came from, especially since the rest of the phone is in mint condition.

I own two iPod touches and an iPad 2, and none of them have a single scratch on the screen.

Annoying.
Feed Me is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 03:27 PM   #21
cruzmisl
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
The rivets on my jeans are the usual culprit for screen scratches on my devices.
cruzmisl is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2013, 01:48 PM   #22
1DApple
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoyblazed View Post
*looks at screen* nope mine is flawless (no case, no screen protector) - launch day iPhone 5
ditto
1DApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:27 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC