Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Sep 6, 2013, 08:59 AM   #51
fourthtunz
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmanmatty View Post
for people who hate ebay I have one word craigslist!!
Oh, I've used craigslist and harmony central, but mostly ebay.
In Maine craigslist is quite hit or miss so ebay is pretty much it.
Ebay is great for buyers but not for sellers.
When you factor in the shipping you're almost at
20% to use ebay, maybe more.
hey it doesn't cost anything to complain right?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by naz-dream-boys View Post
If you're not happy with the fees you could always stop using eBay
Thanks for the helpful input.
fourthtunz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2013, 04:15 AM   #52
manzana698
macrumors newbie

Rent out instead of selling

You can try differentiation by changing business model and rent out your inventory instead of selling it. You can earn better profits.

A good site offering free ads and no commissions is http://www.hirejungle.co.uk. It worked for me! they are also about to launch in US www.hirejungle.com not sure when.
manzana698 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2013, 08:53 AM   #53
unplugme71
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by foofan View Post
I havent sold on ebay in a very long time i just sold some software i didn't need. check the figures below. paypal is owned by ebay

$44.00 - final sold price
$-3.58 - ebay commission
$-1.58 - paypal commission
$-2.97 - shipping costs

$35.87 - net profit

that means for something i sold for only $44, I lost $8.13!! What a ripoff
Cost of business. You need to mark-up your item to cover the cost of transaction fees (ebay, paypal), shipping fees (UPS, FedEx, USPS), and collecting sales tax (local, state - if required by law), plus any time/expenses incurred for listing the item, and having it packaged and dropped off to the carrier.

That's why an item for $1 can cost $20
Old Mar 10, 2014, 12:26 AM   #54
1TheDon1
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post
Thats the price of doing business. Did you honestly expect that that eBay and PayPal would provide you the means to sell your stuff for free?
No of course not, but I did not think that they would, REAM OUT MY ******* for making a small sell on their website either!

I mean all their double dipping with their paypal fees and the cost of the actual ebay selling fees.. Its a frigging joke actually and the joke is on the people who sell on ebay.

Why does ebay have to be so high priced? Oh wait, I just found the answer to my own question floating around in my media sputzitzed mind... oh yeah, there it is, BECAUSE THEY ARE GETTING BLOODY RICH - THAT IS WHY THEY ARE WILLING TO REAM OUT OUR *******S FOR THE MONEY!

Ah, now I feel much better... But ebay still SUCKS to hell!

Should be epray instead of ebay - Epray because they pray on e-commerce sellers like a frigging molester prays on a child.
1TheDon1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2014, 01:23 AM   #55
Ann P
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TheDon1 View Post
No of course not, but I did not think that they would, REAM OUT MY ******* for making a small sell on their website either!

I mean all their double dipping with their paypal fees and the cost of the actual ebay selling fees.. Its a frigging joke actually and the joke is on the people who sell on ebay.

Why does ebay have to be so high priced? Oh wait, I just found the answer to my own question floating around in my media sputzitzed mind... oh yeah, there it is, BECAUSE THEY ARE GETTING BLOODY RICH - THAT IS WHY THEY ARE WILLING TO REAM OUT OUR *******S FOR THE MONEY!

Should be epray instead of ebay - Epray because they pray on e-commerce sellers like a frigging molester prays on a child.
Well that's business, and it's in their policy. 10% of price of item and shipping cost goes to them.

I've been selling on eBay for years. No complaints.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 06:20 AM   #56
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TheDon1 View Post

Did you really resurrect a 13 month old thread just to rant? Why don't you build your own eBay/paypal then? Good grief. No one likes fees but it's a part of life....
paulrbeers is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2014, 02:41 PM   #57
crzdcolombian
macrumors 6502

Ebay takes a bunch of your money but it really should be your last choice in selling.

1.) Craigslist - if you live in a decent city
2.) Amazon - takes less of a fee and usually can sell for a higher amount. Con is the shipping fees they charge customers are never enough to cover your shipping.
3.) Ebay - Always your fault for whatever a customer complains about, crazy fees then another BS fee from paypal. They do give you a 15-30% shipping discount tho that is pretty awesome.

As for my recent battle with Ebay. They actually took my side . I got a 200 dollar gift card for Xmas to Jcrew. I sold it in January and had Jcrew send it to the buyer with delivery confirm. Jcrew and the UPS confirmed it was received. Buyer said I didn't send it. I actually WON !!! I was shocked. I showed that it was confirmed to be sent and delivered to the address provided. I don't have the code number and have no way of knowing if they used the code.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 03:48 PM   #58
Cheffy Dave
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efrem View Post
You knew, or should have known, what those charges would be up front. Nobody forced you to sell on eBay. If you chose to sell that way despite the charges, it's because either (a) you're stupid or (b) you couldn't find a better way. Let's assume it's (b). That means nobody else has figured out how to do it cheaper, because if they had, they'd undercut eBay and take a lot of its business away. That's the basic message: given what they do, and what it costs to do that, their cut is reasonable.
You really had to put in a) huh?
Old Mar 14, 2014, 05:12 AM   #59
englishman
macrumors 6502a

Its a monopoly (pretty much for auctions) - yes its a rip-off - that's the way free market capitalism works if unchecked.

Paypal/Gumtree/Ebay where are the competition (anti-monopoly) laws?

Street gangs and drug cartels have more competition.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 10:44 AM   #60
cybrscot
macrumors 6502

Don't sell on Ebay. Paypal and Ebay are not helpful

I'm tired, I'm going to say it here first, then I'm going to social networking and other means of telling the world that ebay and paypal do a terrible job of helping their sellers. They put rule after rule, restriction after restriction on us. I use Etsy and Amazon and have never had a restriction, a block, a phone call...NOTHING!! There is currently a problem with my account that my Ebay UK funds get held for 21 days but my Ebay US funds don't. Last month on the 15th Mary Palmer at CS Ebay supposedly fixed everything and my funds were released. Then exactly 30 days later on March 15th they started getting held again. I've send about 10 emails, and the funny thing is everybody has replied that they agree my account is in good standing and my DSR's are high , my feedback is still 100% positive with an open account since 2008!! I exceed ALL the requirement that they use to hold funds. The messages I've received all indicate that I'm right, but they don't know why my funds are being held. I keep getting messages and replies from different people. Nobody has seen this issue through and actually fixed it. My funds are still held. One paypal guy actually first said that he could see my account was good and everything looked okay, then later in the email he asked me to get ebay to send me a message stating that my account was in good standing!!! WTH? I have to do the work? They are the same company. Meanwhile, ebay still hasnt' replied at all for this latest issue, all my **bleep**py replies have been from Paypal. Last month they sent me a message..."We're sorry...thank you for being a valued customer and we released all your funds".... I asked them to do it this month and they said, "no we did that once for you already". WOW!! They did me a favor? My funds are NOT supposed to be held in the first place. Everybody at paypal and ebay are trusting their system and assuming it's error free. Nobody is listening to me or reviewing the problem in depth. The latest paypal rep exp. that before they could release funds when a buyer left pos feeback but now that have a new policy....blah blah....New Policy? Just now as of March 15? No warning? No banner? No new terms and conditions? No notice to seller about this fundamental change?? Uh....that's a lie. I don't think they just changed their policy last week. Further, she sent a reply as if I'm a member wanting to know how to get my funds released and assumng that my funds are held for valid reasons. (again assuming the system is working) My question is not how to get my funds released. I am an experience seller with a proven track record who exceeds all the following as put fourth by paypal and ebay:

Why are my funds being held?

PayPal payment holds are typically placed on accounts that do not meet all of the following criteria:

90 days have passed since the first successful eBay sale.
More than 25 transactions have been completed on the site.
More than £165 has been generated in total sales.
If the account had been suspended previously and has been reinstated more than 90 days ago
The seller status on the account is Standard or above

Without any holds on the account, buyers’ payments will be available almost immediately.
cybrscot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:49 AM   #61
jweinraub
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnius View Post
charge a shipping cost.
Exactly. Why lose money on shipping? As an incentive to get someone to bid on your auction? That is poor business motives unless the product selling price was inflated to cover. Shipping and handling fees are there for a reason. And if you don't like it, start your own webstore up, pay hosting fees, credit card transaction fees, etc...

Though I don't disagree that nearly 20% is excessive, but you can certainly offset it by charging S&H!
jweinraub is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:19 PM   #62
Dustman
macrumors 65816

Imagine how App Publishers feel giving Apple 30 cents of every dollar.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 12:05 PM   #63
mellowde
macrumors newbie

Other sellers on my ebay auction ads

When I look at the items I'm selling on ebay by opening one of my auctions (which really aren't auctions but rather sales ads) I see many other ads for the same or similar items displayed on the bottom of the page put there by ebay. D they have no shame? They charge me for my ads or the final value fee, then use the ad I place to attract potential buyers, to place other peoples ads for more greed and money. Have they no shame at all??? Greed mongers, all of them at ebay.
mellowde is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2014, 09:14 PM   #64
noobman0714
macrumors newbie

please help

http://www.crowdrise.com/ebaytrapped...r/bryceshowell
noobman0714 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2014, 09:36 PM   #65
gavinstubbs09
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to gavinstubbs09
I get roasted with 10% of whatever I sell. This last month, I sold a Mac Pro for $640+shipping. Guy didn't pay, and the second highest guy was all over it. So for him, I sold it for $600 buy it now with free shipping. I shipped it with 10.9.1 and the jackass was pissed cause he couldn't get 10.9.2 installed. When I sent it, I gave him all the proper instruction and a flash drive with Mavericks on it, and the stock GPU. When he got it I helped him for 3 days with emails/texting/calling helping him with it. A week ago he files a claim as item not as described, and when I listed it 10.9.1 was working when I left my house, and my proof is the pictures in the listing. He wanted me to pay $600 plus shipping back to myself. FFFFFFFF that. My time assisting you isn't free. I would agree to send a $350 refund and a shipping tag back to myself, but I was an idiot and sent the refund, he accepted it, and never said a message back. I had all the evidence in the world on my side, but nothing I can do. Still waiting on the ******* to respond.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 02:20 PM   #66
cyks
macrumors 68020

I generally go the craigslist route, but decided to give eBay another try last month with my 4S. A mistake I won't be making again.

36 days after selling the phone, I received the dreaded 'a case is open' email with the buyer stating that the rear facing camera doesn't work (even though I know it did before I sent it).

It sucks knowing that, pretty much no matter what I say or do, I'm going to have to repay their money and get stuck with (what now is) a broken phone.
cyks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 08:40 AM   #67
easytake123
macrumors newbie

see vendor information in user profile
Quote:
Originally Posted by foofan View Post

$44.00 - final sold price
$-3.58 - ebay commission
$-1.58 - paypal commission
$-2.97 - shipping costs

$35.87 - net profit

that means for something i sold for only $44, I lost $8.13!! What a ripoff
You could have sold it on Alipress, less commission .Why did you pay paypal commission?
easytake123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 08:50 AM   #68
blesscheese
macrumors 6502

I agree, it sucks, but it is much better than most other means of selling. Recognize that in capitalism, "survival of the fittest" means that the little guy/seller gets taken advantage of by the bigger sellers, but as long as you can eke out a profit, you are still ahead of the game.

My advice...you may want to charge actual shipping, or at least not include it in your costs, if you are selling right at the margin.

Yeah, it was a joke when ebay bought out PayPal, and kept the fees. Now they have you coming and going! Great for their business model, & shareholders, however?
blesscheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2014, 05:02 PM   #69
noodle654
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyks View Post
I generally go the craigslist route, but decided to give eBay another try last month with my 4S. A mistake I won't be making again.

36 days after selling the phone, I received the dreaded 'a case is open' email with the buyer stating that the rear facing camera doesn't work (even though I know it did before I sent it).

It sucks knowing that, pretty much no matter what I say or do, I'm going to have to repay their money and get stuck with (what now is) a broken phone.
Now that sucks, I have had similar things happen. It is ridiculous how buyer oriented eBay has become over the years to the point where people can basically buy something, use it for a month, break it, and then blame it on you. Really is such a shame and I am sorry this happened to you. Return policies on eBay are now useless. You should fight that to the end, it is the buyers responsibility to inspect the item. I had a person last year open a similar case on day 12 saying that my old iPhone 4 stopped working...odd right? Turns out the guy tried to return to me is previously broken iPhone 4 with a different serial number. It took 4 days and numerous calls to eBay for them to side with me...they even thought I was lying. Just think I am paying them fees for this?

On a side note, eBay is really a necessary evil. Where else can you post items for sale that gets as much traffic as eBay does? Craigslist is useless if you live in a crappy area (such as me in Vermont). It has gotten to the point with eBay that you have to take every possible precaution you can think of to prevent yourself from getting screwed: video packing and tendering packages, insure everything, signature required on every package...and you can still get screwed

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice