Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
for people who hate ebay I have one word craigslist!!

Oh, I've used craigslist and harmony central, but mostly ebay.
In Maine craigslist is quite hit or miss so ebay is pretty much it.
Ebay is great for buyers but not for sellers.
When you factor in the shipping you're almost at
20% to use ebay, maybe more.
hey it doesn't cost anything to complain right?:(

----------

If you're not happy with the fees you could always stop using eBay

Thanks for the helpful input.:rolleyes:

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
I havent sold on ebay in a very long time i just sold some software i didn't need. check the figures below. paypal is owned by ebay

$44.00 - final sold price
$-3.58 - ebay commission
$-1.58 - paypal commission
$-2.97 - shipping costs

$35.87 - net profit

that means for something i sold for only $44, I lost $8.13!! What a ripoff

Cost of business. You need to mark-up your item to cover the cost of transaction fees (ebay, paypal), shipping fees (UPS, FedEx, USPS), and collecting sales tax (local, state - if required by law), plus any time/expenses incurred for listing the item, and having it packaged and dropped off to the carrier.

That's why an item for $1 can cost $20

1TheDon1

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2014
Thats the price of doing business. Did you honestly expect that that eBay and PayPal would provide you the means to sell your stuff for free?

No of course not, but I did not think that they would, REAM OUT MY ******* for making a small sell on their website either!

I mean all their double dipping with their paypal fees and the cost of the actual ebay selling fees.. Its a frigging joke actually and the joke is on the people who sell on ebay.

Why does ebay have to be so high priced? Oh wait, I just found the answer to my own question floating around in my media sputzitzed mind... oh yeah, there it is, BECAUSE THEY ARE GETTING BLOODY RICH - THAT IS WHY THEY ARE WILLING TO REAM OUT OUR *******S FOR THE MONEY!

Ah, now I feel much better... But ebay still SUCKS to hell!

Should be epray instead of ebay - Epray because they pray on e-commerce sellers like a frigging molester prays on a child.

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California
No of course not, but I did not think that they would, REAM OUT MY ******* for making a small sell on their website either!

I mean all their double dipping with their paypal fees and the cost of the actual ebay selling fees.. Its a frigging joke actually and the joke is on the people who sell on ebay.

Why does ebay have to be so high priced? Oh wait, I just found the answer to my own question floating around in my media sputzitzed mind... oh yeah, there it is, BECAUSE THEY ARE GETTING BLOODY RICH - THAT IS WHY THEY ARE WILLING TO REAM OUT OUR *******S FOR THE MONEY!

Should be epray instead of ebay - Epray because they pray on e-commerce sellers like a frigging molester prays on a child.

Well that's business, and it's in their policy. 10% of price of item and shipping cost goes to them.

I've been selling on eBay for years. No complaints.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009

Did you really resurrect a 13 month old thread just to rant? Why don't you build your own eBay/paypal then? Good grief. No one likes fees but it's a part of life....

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
Ebay takes a bunch of your money but it really should be your last choice in selling.

1.) Craigslist - if you live in a decent city
2.) Amazon - takes less of a fee and usually can sell for a higher amount. Con is the shipping fees they charge customers are never enough to cover your shipping.
3.) Ebay - Always your fault for whatever a customer complains about, crazy fees then another BS fee from paypal. They do give you a 15-30% shipping discount tho that is pretty awesome.

As for my recent battle with Ebay. They actually took my side :). I got a 200 dollar gift card for Xmas to Jcrew. I sold it in January and had Jcrew send it to the buyer with delivery confirm. Jcrew and the UPS confirmed it was received. Buyer said I didn't send it. I actually WON !!! I was shocked. I showed that it was confirmed to be sent and delivered to the address provided. I don't have the code number and have no way of knowing if they used the code.

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030
You knew, or should have known, what those charges would be up front. Nobody forced you to sell on eBay. If you chose to sell that way despite the charges, it's because either (a) you're stupid or (b) you couldn't find a better way. Let's assume it's (b). That means nobody else has figured out how to do it cheaper, because if they had, they'd undercut eBay and take a lot of its business away. That's the basic message: given what they do, and what it costs to do that, their cut is reasonable.

You really had to put in a) huh?

englishman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2006
Its a monopoly (pretty much for auctions) - yes its a rip-off - that's the way free market capitalism works if unchecked.

Paypal/Gumtree/Ebay where are the competition (anti-monopoly) laws?

Street gangs and drug cartels have more competition.

cybrscot

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2010
Somewhere in Southeast Asia
Don't sell on Ebay. Paypal and Ebay are not helpful

I'm tired, I'm going to say it here first, then I'm going to social networking and other means of telling the world that ebay and paypal do a terrible job of helping their sellers. They put rule after rule, restriction after restriction on us. I use Etsy and Amazon and have never had a restriction, a block, a phone call...NOTHING!! There is currently a problem with my account that my Ebay UK funds get held for 21 days but my Ebay US funds don't. Last month on the 15th Mary Palmer at CS Ebay supposedly fixed everything and my funds were released. Then exactly 30 days later on March 15th they started getting held again. I've send about 10 emails, and the funny thing is everybody has replied that they agree my account is in good standing and my DSR's are high , my feedback is still 100% positive with an open account since 2008!! I exceed ALL the requirement that they use to hold funds. The messages I've received all indicate that I'm right, but they don't know why my funds are being held. I keep getting messages and replies from different people. Nobody has seen this issue through and actually fixed it. My funds are still held. One paypal guy actually first said that he could see my account was good and everything looked okay, then later in the email he asked me to get ebay to send me a message stating that my account was in good standing!!! WTH? I have to do the work? They are the same company. Meanwhile, ebay still hasnt' replied at all for this latest issue, all my **bleep**py replies have been from Paypal. Last month they sent me a message..."We're sorry...thank you for being a valued customer and we released all your funds".... I asked them to do it this month and they said, "no we did that once for you already". WOW!! They did me a favor? My funds are NOT supposed to be held in the first place. Everybody at paypal and ebay are trusting their system and assuming it's error free. Nobody is listening to me or reviewing the problem in depth. The latest paypal rep exp. that before they could release funds when a buyer left pos feeback but now that have a new policy....blah blah....New Policy? Just now as of March 15? No warning? No banner? No new terms and conditions? No notice to seller about this fundamental change?? Uh....that's a lie. I don't think they just changed their policy last week. Further, she sent a reply as if I'm a member wanting to know how to get my funds released and assumng that my funds are held for valid reasons. (again assuming the system is working) My question is not how to get my funds released. I am an experience seller with a proven track record who exceeds all the following as put fourth by paypal and ebay:

Why are my funds being held?

PayPal payment holds are typically placed on accounts that do not meet all of the following criteria:

90 days have passed since the first successful eBay sale.
More than 25 transactions have been completed on the site.
More than £165 has been generated in total sales.
If the account had been suspended previously and has been reinstated more than 90 days ago
The seller status on the account is Standard or above

Without any holds on the account, buyers’ payments will be available almost immediately.

jweinraub

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Sol III
charge a shipping cost.

Exactly. Why lose money on shipping? As an incentive to get someone to bid on your auction? That is poor business motives unless the product selling price was inflated to cover. Shipping and handling fees are there for a reason. And if you don't like it, start your own webstore up, pay hosting fees, credit card transaction fees, etc...

Though I don't disagree that nearly 20% is excessive, but you can certainly offset it by charging S&H!

mellowde

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2014
Other sellers on my ebay auction ads

When I look at the items I'm selling on ebay by opening one of my auctions (which really aren't auctions but rather sales ads) I see many other ads for the same or similar items displayed on the bottom of the page put there by ebay. D they have no shame? They charge me for my ads or the final value fee, then use the ad I place to attract potential buyers, to place other peoples ads for more greed and money. Have they no shame at all??? Greed mongers, all of them at ebay.

gavinstubbs09

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2013
NorCal boonies ~~~by Reno sorta
I get roasted with 10% of whatever I sell. This last month, I sold a Mac Pro for $640+shipping. Guy didn't pay, and the second highest guy was all over it. So for him, I sold it for $600 buy it now with free shipping. I shipped it with 10.9.1 and the jackass was pissed cause he couldn't get 10.9.2 installed. When I sent it, I gave him all the proper instruction and a flash drive with Mavericks on it, and the stock GPU. When he got it I helped him for 3 days with emails/texting/calling helping him with it. A week ago he files a claim as item not as described, and when I listed it 10.9.1 was working when I left my house, and my proof is the pictures in the listing. He wanted me to pay $600 plus shipping back to myself. FFFFFFFF that. My time assisting you isn't free. I would agree to send a $350 refund and a shipping tag back to myself, but I was an idiot and sent the refund, he accepted it, and never said a message back. I had all the evidence in the world on my side, but nothing I can do. Still waiting on the ******* to respond.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
I generally go the craigslist route, but decided to give eBay another try last month with my 4S. A mistake I won't be making again.

36 days after selling the phone, I received the dreaded 'a case is open' email with the buyer stating that the rear facing camera doesn't work (even though I know it did before I sent it).

It sucks knowing that, pretty much no matter what I say or do, I'm going to have to repay their money and get stuck with (what now is) a broken phone.

easytake123

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2014
China
$44.00 - final sold price
$-3.58 - ebay commission
$-1.58 - paypal commission
$-2.97 - shipping costs

$35.87 - net profit

that means for something i sold for only $44, I lost $8.13!! What a ripoff

You could have sold it on Alipress, less commission .Why did you pay paypal commission?

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
I agree, it sucks, but it is much better than most other means of selling. Recognize that in capitalism, "survival of the fittest" means that the little guy/seller gets taken advantage of by the bigger sellers, but as long as you can eke out a profit, you are still ahead of the game.

My advice...you may want to charge actual shipping, or at least not include it in your costs, if you are selling right at the margin.

Yeah, it was a joke when ebay bought out PayPal, and kept the fees. Now they have you coming and going! Great for their business model, & shareholders, however?

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
I generally go the craigslist route, but decided to give eBay another try last month with my 4S. A mistake I won't be making again.

36 days after selling the phone, I received the dreaded 'a case is open' email with the buyer stating that the rear facing camera doesn't work (even though I know it did before I sent it).

It sucks knowing that, pretty much no matter what I say or do, I'm going to have to repay their money and get stuck with (what now is) a broken phone.

Now that sucks, I have had similar things happen. It is ridiculous how buyer oriented eBay has become over the years to the point where people can basically buy something, use it for a month, break it, and then blame it on you. Really is such a shame and I am sorry this happened to you. Return policies on eBay are now useless. You should fight that to the end, it is the buyers responsibility to inspect the item. I had a person last year open a similar case on day 12 saying that my old iPhone 4 stopped working...odd right? Turns out the guy tried to return to me is previously broken iPhone 4 with a different serial number. It took 4 days and numerous calls to eBay for them to side with me...they even thought I was lying. Just think I am paying them fees for this?

On a side note, eBay is really a necessary evil. Where else can you post items for sale that gets as much traffic as eBay does? Craigslist is useless if you live in a crappy area (such as me in Vermont). It has gotten to the point with eBay that you have to take every possible precaution you can think of to prevent yourself from getting screwed: video packing and tendering packages, insure everything, signature required on every package...and you can still get screwed :rolleyes:

cscosta1

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2014
This is why in a nutshell

Previously, on EBay:

The buyer would simply email the seller and inquire as to a question regarding the whereabouts of their item, or any confusion over the item not being as described by the seller.

The seller would simply respond to the buyer and this would, in about 95% of the cases, be the end of it. Buyer satisfied, Seller satisfied - no case, no harm, no foul.

The seller would respond swiftly and delicately as to preserve the buyer's satisfaction and therefore a good feedback score - both of which would result in the seller maintaining his / her Top Rated Seller (TRS) status and his / her 20% TRS discount off of the bill at the end of the month.

This system encouraged sellers to offer superb customer service to the buyers - all was well.

Now, on EBay:

A buyer wants to know where the package is, the same as before; however now they are forced by EBay to immediately open a case against the seller for "Item Not Received."

The seller responds to the buyer, but now it is too late and the seller has received a "defect" point on his / her ratings.

--or--

The buyer wants to know about a point of confusion regarding an item's description, the same as before; however, now they are forced by EBay to immediately open a case against the seller for "Item Not As Described."

The seller responds to the buyer, but now it is too late and the seller has received a "defect" point on his / her ratings.

And these are only the scrupulous or otherwise honest buyers with honest questions. There are those few buyers who use the system to force the seller to conform to their wishes. An example of this would be when a buyer changes his / her mind about wanting the product and opens a "Item Not As Described" case to force the seller to pay the return shipping charges on the item. Or, let's say the buyer does not read the measurements in the listing and is expecting something larger or smaller than they receive. They simply open an "Item Not As Described" case against the seller and the return of the item, paid for by the seller, is forced upon the seller - this even though the item is exactly as described.

Now, the buyer gets to window shop on the sellers dime and the seller receives a "defect" point on his / her ratings.

Each of these points counts towards a total allowable percentage of defects called the "defect buffer." Once this "buffer" has been used, the points total to cause the seller to lose his or her TRS status and the 20% TRS discount which comes off of the bill at the end of the month.

The result:

Sellers are losing their TRS hand over fist and are now referred to as "Above Standard" - giving the buyer the impression that they are not worthy of the TRS title and badge.

Sellers are losing 20% of their sales volume each month by way of discounts no longer earned.

Sellers are overwhelmingly losing their incentive to respond to buyers, cater to buyer's wishes, or cooperate with buyers in order to preserve their status. The old system forced sellers to cooperate or risk losing this status - not anymore, since we will be losing this status regardless of how swiftly, politely, or completely respond and cater to customers.

Bravo EBay, you have managed to completely screw both buyer and seller in one move intended to increase your bottom line. Was the 20% gain from sellers bills worth it? I think not. Only time will tell. If both buyers and sellers are dissatisfied with the way each is performing, what do you think the result will be in the long run? Hmmmm? Okay, can I just tell you? The result is that both parties stop using your service and seek alternatives.

Ever hear of a little company called Bonanza? Well, I'm sure you have. They are 13 million members strong, consisting of both buyers and sellers. I have imported every one of my EBay items on to their site and have made significant sells since I have. Oh, and they are not only 4.5% cheaper on the Final Value Fee, but they don't charge to post and the posts remain until the item is sold or is removed by the seller.

Then there is that other little company called Etsy. They are 33 million strong and growing daily. Not only does it cost a mere 5 cents per month to post (twenty cents to post and posting lasts 4 months), but they don't charge for the "benefit" of a store-front, that's free. Also, they charge only a straight 3.5% Final Value Fee.

If you think you can just storm around making rules that hurt your customers - both buyers and sellers; rules that are designed to help only you and your bottom line - and not feel any consequences, then you are fools and your business model is foolish for we will seek out, find, and help to grow competitors to your empire.

ianj1972

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2011
http://irj972.co.uk
Just to add my 2p worth, the currency conversion rates are terrible too plus they now offer customs clearing for items ordered from overseas which not only incurs a handling fee but also more currency conversion fees! Ebay really are pushing their luck these days and I'll be looking at the alternatives posted above.
/rant

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I stopped using ebay years ago. When I moved to iPhone and sold my Blackberry on ebay, they had the nerve to make me wait for my money until the seller left + feedback but they insisted I transfer money in to my ebay account from paypal to pay their stinking fees. If I had to wait for my money, why couldn't they wait for their fees? Of course this caused a ripple of complications because paypal wasn't properly set up to receive transfers of money and I couldn't conveniently add money to my paypal account so what should have been a pleasant little transaction really sucked. I finally got my money released and the buyer and I were always on good terms but I haven't logged in to ebay in close to 4 years now. If I have something I want to get rid of I put it in the car, drive over to either Salvation Army and get a donation receipt or I give it directly to somebody that needs it. Ebay should have become my garage sale of choice. Now, it's simply another thing for me to ignore. And the same is true for buying on ebay. What I value is time, not a few cents. I bought an alleged 4GB memory stick from ebay and when it arrived, it was a 256gb memory stick formatted to 4GB so that as soon as I copied 257 mb of files to the thing I started getting errors. Ebay and paypal quickly refunded my money but I could have had a working usb stick in minutes rather than days. Compare this with Amazon. Amazon prices including prime shipping aren't always the absolute lowest but the idea I can click on something and have it show up on my front porch brand new in working order with no ambiguity about its authenticity drives the final nail in ebay's coffin as far as I'm concerned. I have an account with 100+ feedback and 100% positive and I never care to log in again.

Goodbye ebay. It was sort of nice until it sort of sucked.

Jayfosters

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2014
selling on ebay

Selling is getting harder because more competetion and less people with expendable bank accounts. Supply and demand. I am trying to sell my S5 that is in mint condition and at an excellent price, but no one has bought it yet at BIN. I think I will give it a few days and then pull it if it does not sell, my price is already BMV.

I plan on getting an Iphone 5!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
I think the fees are a tad too high. I stopped selling things on eBay because of this, as well as all the favoritism towards a buyer (like the whole change in feedback).

The last item I sold was an Acer laptop. The winning bidder took over 2 weeks to finally purchase, and then wouldn't stop asking me to send to a non-Paypal registered address. I finally got him/her to agree to just let me ship it to the Paypal address.

THE NEXT DAY he/she complains it's not there. This person was on the other side of the country. They opened up a case and I had to jump through hoops just to explain that things take longer than 24 hours to ship. Eventually the laptop was received, and that was that. I was done after that. I hate Craigslist, but I'd rather deal with that as opposed to eBay.

Macist

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2009
I sell on eBay as a last resort if I just want shot of an item and don't care at that point about the gouging fees. The good thing about eBay is it's a national or international marketplace so if your item is a bit specialist it's more likely to find a buyer there.

But I'll try Gumtree (like Craigslist), buy/sell sections of specialist forums, Facebook trading groups, etc. first.

Also eBay is full of people looking for very cheap items. I sometimes deal in vintage bicycles and quality used musical instruments. BIN items that are a perfectly fairly priced tend not to sell as people seem to want yardsale bargains.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.