Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Exvidious

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2013
Lake Grove, New York
Can anyone help me with this? I'm running on an AT&T 16GB iPhone 4S, and want to purchase an iPhone 5 for AT&T. Now, as far as I know, I cannot use an early upgrade because I'm an added line onto someone else's contract, and if I early upgrade then my contract would exceed the account holder's contract. My idea now is to purchase an unlocked iPhone 5 and either see if AT&T can activate a nano sim with my account, or if worst comes to worst buy a sim card cutting too. Does anyone else have any other ideas?

My apologies if this is in the wrong section or any other error is made, I'm new to this forum.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
^
That's right.
If you plan on ever using your iPhone4S though with this same number than you can also get your SIM modified for the iPhone5 and the outer piece used (with the cut down SIM) will allow you to pop it back into your 4S.

cheezeit

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Dallas, TX
Can anyone help me with this? I'm running on an AT&T 16GB iPhone 4S, and want to purchase an iPhone 5 for AT&T. Now, as far as I know, I cannot use an early upgrade because I'm an added line onto someone else's contract, and if I early upgrade then my contract would exceed the account holder's contract. My idea now is to purchase an unlocked iPhone 5 and either see if AT&T can activate a nano sim with my account, or if worst comes to worst buy a sim card cutting too. Does anyone else have any other ideas?

My apologies if this is in the wrong section or any other error is made, I'm new to this forum.

Doesn't need to be unlocked, it can still be ATT so you can get the LTE.

You will need the account holder to get a new SIM at ATT.

You will need the account holder to get them to activate LTE of your ATT iphone.

OR you can get a Verizon iPhone 5, trim your sim and only get HSPA without the account holder ever knowing anything happened.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Now, as far as I know, I cannot use an early upgrade because I'm an added line onto someone else's contract, and if I early upgrade then my contract would exceed the account holder's contract.
Have you actually checked on your upgrade eligibility?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.