|Feb 1, 2013, 03:50 AM||#1|
Ram help with different CAS Latency
What I am planning on doing is upgrading my 2012 Mac mini base model it has 4gb (2x2gb) I want to upgrade it to 16gb eventually.
1. What I am planning on doing is buying 2 8gb sticks one at a time and installing them into the Mac mini. Can I install them into the mini one at a time and leave the 2gb stick in there as well meaning I will have a 8gb 1600mhz 10-10-10-27 this one. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820233264
And the stock 2gb 1600mhz ddr3 the stock apple ram. Will this work?
2. Will I have any problems with the CAS Latency not matching? The stock I believe is 11 and the one I am buying is 10?
3. If you would suggest different ram that will work better please let me know thank you.
2013 MacBook Pro Retina 13" 2.5GHz/i5/8GB/256GB SSD
2013 iPhone 5s 1.2GHz/A7/1GB/32GB
2013 Mac Mini 2.5GHz/i5/16GB/120GB SSD+500GB HD
|Feb 1, 2013, 07:13 AM||#3|
1. No, but as stated you will lose dual channel memory which could affect overall performance by as much as 10% until you get the second matching stick in.
2. No. The Corsair Vengeance is known to work just fine in Mini's.
3. The fastest known working in the 2012's is the Kingston HyperX with a Cas latency of 9 (as already stated). However, at best you are probably looking at 3-5% increase in overall performance by going with lower latency RAM, so the question is whether it is worth it to you.
rMBP 11,2 15" 2.0Ghz w/ 256GB SSD
MBA 6,2 13" 1.7Ghz w/ 256GB SSD
Mac Mini 7,1 2.6GHZ w/ 250GB SSD
2xMac Mini 6,2 2.3ghz w/ 250GB SSD
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|CAS Latency and RAM on MacPro||RAMtheSSD||Mac Pro||3||Mar 29, 2013 06:10 PM|
|Mac mini (late 2012): low latency/voltage RAM recommendations||BigMa||Mac mini||5||Jan 10, 2013 09:20 PM|
|RAM voltage and cas latency?||d4m1r||MacBook Pro||14||Dec 4, 2012 05:48 PM|
|CAS Latency 9 vs 10||Hexley||iMac||2||Nov 28, 2012 01:34 PM|
|MBP RAM Latency timings||Kooda||MacBook Pro||4||Jun 6, 2012 05:49 PM|
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:59 AM.