Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
My boss finally approved the expense of a good display to replace my crappy Dell rig for print work. I've heard the ACD is pretty color accurate right out of the box and it will free up space on my desk since the speakers are built in.

Problem is, there is a window facing the monitor and my workspace is not flexible. Since the refresh is overdue, I've been waiting to see if the Apple display gets either antiglare or retina, which is supposed to reduce glare a great deal. USB3 ports would be nice as well.

So let's say the refresh brings neither antiglare nor retina, should I just get something like this LaCie monitor instead?

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Get something with a hood to help with that glare issue. All the Lacie hooded monitors are out of stock, even at Lacie.com. The monitor in the link below is popular with photographers.

Eizo

Dale

iAppl3Fan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
I would vote for the apple display. Even if the refresh came out and it was retina, more than likely your computer/graphic card wouldn't be able to handle it in the first place.  is the way to go.

carl0sian

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2011
Thunderbolt Display is around $930 on amazon. Think the price will continue to drop?

Last edited:

designs216

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
The trend seems to be that all product lines are going retina, which would include the Apple Cinema display. Do you guys think that the ACD may get an antiglare option in the interim or is it more likely that Apple will go straight to retina?

golf1410

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA
The trend seems to be that all product lines are going retina, which would include the Apple Cinema display. Do you guys think that the ACD may get an antiglare option in the interim or is it more likely that Apple will go straight to retina?

How the graphic cards do the drive display with too many pixel? What about MacBook Air?
The technology on these days do not allow this to be happened pretty soon. It will take 2-3 years.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
The new iMac update bodes well for the TB and ACD getting "reduced" glare. I think it's just a matter of months until we see this update plus USB3 -- ie the wait was worth it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.