Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:16 AM   #1
nebulight
macrumors member

Readynas to AppleTV?

I'm new to Apple TV. I am coming from the Boxee Box where I just put all my content on my readynas and put the share into Boxee and it found all my content. However now that I've switched to Apple TV, it seems like I have to have a computer with iTunes open all the time to "host" the media with Home Sharing even though all the content is on the nas. Is this the only way for this to work?

Thanks!
nebulight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:34 AM   #2
mic j
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulight View Post
I'm new to Apple TV. I am coming from the Boxee Box where I just put all my content on my readynas and put the share into Boxee and it found all my content. However now that I've switched to Apple TV, it seems like I have to have a computer with iTunes open all the time to "host" the media with Home Sharing even though all the content is on the nas. Is this the only way for this to work?

Thanks!
Yes. iTunes must be running.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:44 PM   #3
troy14
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Thanks!
Not sure which ReadyNAS you have, or if it even matters... But I have a ReadyNAS Ultra 2 with 2 2tb disks....

http://i.imgur.com/sr7qI.png

Should be able to set it up that way. I don't have my computer on all the time.
troy14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:05 AM   #4
blevins321
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy14 View Post
Not sure which ReadyNAS you have, or if it even matters... But I have a ReadyNAS Ultra 2 with 2 2tb disks....

http://i.imgur.com/sr7qI.png

Should be able to set it up that way. I don't have my computer on all the time.
That iTunes server option uses a cracked version of the old audio airplay protocol. It won't work at all for any video content unfortunately (or DRM audio for that matter either). There isn't a way around having iTunes running unless you have a jail breakable ATV.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:46 PM   #5
troy14
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by blevins321 View Post
That iTunes server option uses a cracked version of the old audio airplay protocol. It won't work at all for any video content unfortunately (or DRM audio for that matter either). There isn't a way around having iTunes running unless you have a jail breakable ATV.
Oh really? I just discovered it myself. I tested it on my laptop and it was able to connect and stream video from the iTunes share.... so it won't work with an Apple TV though?
troy14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:30 PM   #6
blevins321
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy14 View Post
Oh really? I just discovered it myself. I tested it on my laptop and it was able to connect and stream video from the iTunes share.... so it won't work with an Apple TV though?
Sorry, nope. ATV can only receive that data via AirPlay or Home Sharing. Not the older iTunes Library Sharing protocol.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:39 PM   #7
nebulight
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blevins321 View Post
Sorry, nope. ATV can only receive that data via AirPlay or Home Sharing. Not the older iTunes Library Sharing protocol.
I have an older mac mini that I've setup so that's okay, but I have to physically add all my content to iTunes even though I'm not adding the content to the mac mini since it all resides on the readynas. I haven't figured out how to use that "Automatically Add to iTunes" folder where it doesn't copy the contents to the local drive.
nebulight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:43 PM   #8
blevins321
macrumors 68030

Quote:
I have an older mac mini that I've setup so that's okay, but I have to physically add all my content to iTunes even though I'm not adding the content to the mac mini since it all resides on the readynas. I haven't figured out how to use that "Automatically Add to iTunes" folder where it doesn't copy the contents to the local drive.
If thats all you're using your iTunes library for, you can copy the entire iTunes folder to your NAS. Then hold the Option key and open iTunes. Choose the new library location as your library. Then everything will go to there and it'll be your new default location. There should be the Automatically Add folder in the new place that you can use.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater