Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ckny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
I'm having a problem with Google Music Manager on my Mac Mini and can't seem to find an answer anywhere.

I've had the program installed for a while. Last I checked, it was running fine under Lion and uploading my music in the background. I went to look at it today because I finally got around to using Google Music and noticed some recent music wasn't uploaded. I should say that I upgraded to Mountain Lion over the summer but never noticed if Music Manager worked before/after the install.

I can't find the icon in my menu bar. I went to the system preferences and when I click the Music Manager icon, the screen briefly flashes the settings and then goes to a screen that says Google Play and "Music Manager is not currently running". I can click a button that says "Start Music Manager", but nothing happens after that. I opened Activity Monitor and see it running. If I quit the process and then click the button again, it shows in Activity monitor again. But nothing else changes. The window doesn't change and nothing shows in the menu bar.

I tried (twice) to uninstall and reinstall as per the directions from google. No dice. Anyone else ever experience anything like this? I can install fine on another Mac running Mountain Lion. However, I can't install it under a test account that I create on the original Mac Mini - same problem. I'm thinking there's a file somewhere thats corrupting something but can't find any answers or suggestions.

Here's the instructions I used to do a manual uninstall:
Mac
In the Finder, choose 'Go' > 'Go to Folder'
Type in ~/Library/PreferencePanes and click 'Go'
Locate 'MusicManager.prefPane' and drag it to the Trash
In the Finder, choose 'Go' > 'Applications'
Locate 'Music Manager' and drag it to the Trash
If you'd also like to delete remaining music files associated with Google Play, please follow the instructions below:

In the Finder, choose 'Go' > 'Go to Folder'
Type in ~/Library/Application Support/Google and click Go.
Locate the MusicManager folder and drag it to the Trash.
Choose 'Go' > 'Go to Folder'
Type in ~/Library/Preferences and click Go
Locate the preference file ~/Library/Preferences/com.google.musicmanager.plist and drag it to the Trash

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
If you install it after you delete everything from the Library, Applications and Preferences folders and you click on the icon on the application folder to launch it, do you get the little headphone icon on the menu bar?

If you do click on it and then on Preferences to bring the Music Manager preference pane. Sometimes when the Google Music Manager is not uploading new songs from your iTunes Library a way to fix it is to:

1- Open the Music Manager preference pane under system preferences
2- Click on the Advanced tab and click on "Change" on the location of my music collection.
3- Click continue and then link again Music Manager with your iTunes library. It should start uploading any new songs again.

ckny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
Thanks for the reply. After I double click the Music Manager app after removing the prior one, it doesn't put the headphone icon in my menu bar. It only seems to reinstall the preference pane which, when clicked, takes me back through the "Music Manager is not currently running" process.

danireef

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2012
Thanks for the reply. After I double click the Music Manager app after removing the prior one, it doesn't put the headphone icon in my menu bar. It only seems to reinstall the preference pane which, when clicked, takes me back through the "Music Manager is not currently running" process.

In my macbook pro with mountain lion is exactly the same.
I've tried to install... but nothing happen... only I see the service "music manager" in activity monitor, but nothing more, and I can't use it.

Any clues?

Thanks

Danilo

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
There seems to be a bug with the app that occurs in some computers. I recommended Google Music to two friends, both of which have the same MacBook Pro model and one of them was able to sign up and upload all his music without problem but the other is experiencing the same problem you both are having.

It is odd, maybe it will be fixed when they update the app. You could start a thread here and post the problem:

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!categories/apps/the-cloud-lounge

Maybe someone knows how to solve it, if not it will at least serve as a kind of bug report.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.