Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msans

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
I received my new Mac mini with fusion drive yesterday. When I check the size under "get info" on the drive icon I get:

Capacity: 34.62 GB
Available: 18.33 GB

Called Apple and tech support said it's supposed to do that. Can someone else check to see what you get? Doesn't seem right to me. Thanks.

StevenT42

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2010
I received my new Mac mini with fusion drive yesterday. When I check the size under "get info" on the drive icon I get:

Called Apple and tech support said it's supposed to do that. Can someone else check to see what you get? Doesn't seem right to me. Thanks.

Mine from Get Info

Capacity 1.12 TB
Available 916.1GB
Used 199.76 GB

From Disk Utility

Capacity : 1.12 TB (1,120,333,979,648 Bytes)

pcmkservice

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2012
Today i had the same problem

Hallo everybody. I com from Germany and read about the problem with the Fusion Drive. My new Mac Mini today arrived and told the same about the free space. I have repair it by the HDD repair programm. New Start under recovery and then goes to teh repair programm. After this all is fine. But is is unbelivible what Apple gives for 1280€... I hope i could help, soor for my bad English. Best Regards from Germany to all of you.:)

GaiusBaltar

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2010
Have you tried a clean install?

boot from recovery partition, wipe disk with disk utility, reinstall mountain lion

pcmkservice

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2012
Thinking ?

Hy Guys, did you think that Apple is knowing about the problem with the Fusion Drive? Or did you think it is a`Factory error? Here in Germany comes every Day bad news with the reported size. My Mini works now very fine after i had repair over the recovery hdd repair tools. I'm curious when apple takes on the position error.:mad:

timberg

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2012
Same thing for me today, almost exact same specs shown. 90 mins on phone with Apple, attempted to repair, rebuild, repartition. Pronounced it DOA so will exchange out.

stellan0r

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2012
Hey, just received my Mini, and I've got the same problem! It says I have onle 34.62 GB Capacity on my 1.12 TB drive.. Did you get any other solution than getting a replacement?

msans

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
A complete reformat and then an OS X reinstall from the Internet recovery boot screen solved it. No problems after that.

stellan0r

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2012
this doesn't sound good, as I'm going to order an iMac with Fusion :(

actually, after calling the apple support, deleting the macintosh hd partition in recovery mode (entered with pressing alt+cmd+r while restarting) did create the correct partition size! I'm now installing the OS again.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
A complete reformat and then an OS X reinstall from the Internet recovery boot screen solved it. No problems after that.

That's not the point though is it.

You shouldn't have to re-install an OS before you have even used the computer. As for quality control, that went out of the window a long time ago.

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
Do you also only have 18.33GB of storage?. As in can you put more than 18.44GB of files onto the drive? Has it completely lost all the rest of the space or is it just a false report.

stellan0r

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2012
Oh god, something else I'll be able to worry about. :eek:

seems to be a very rare problem ;)
But I got them all: Faulty 16 GB Corsair Vengeance RAM (Kernel Panic), incorrect Fusion Drive setup and yesterday a hickup while trying to wake up my screens from sleep while I was copying 2 TB of files from an external drive to another. f.lux and iStat Menues were running in the background and the screens would not show any picture except a black screen (backlight on) with the mousecursor for the moment when I was pressing a button. Screens went out after that again. Needed to reboot with the power button... Maybe f.lux caused that problem, after deactivating it is working now. Will test that in 9 hours ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.