Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Old Dec 3, 2012, 03:30 PM   #1
Dorfdad
macrumors 6502

Any way to get itunes to not download matched streaming songs?

So i bought iTunes match to make a backup of my collection and to get higher quality songs and so far loving it. However i thought that the way it worked was that I could stream my itunes collection from the cloud on my ipad and or iphone without having to download all the songs and take up space on my device.

However it seems when I pick a song to stream over the cloud it will doanload that song locally. This isn't what I wanted as I want the songs to always 24/7 stream from the cloud like google music or MOG / Spotify does.

Is this possible or did I just waste $25.00?
Old Dec 3, 2012, 03:35 PM   #2
Stuke00
macrumors 6502a

I turned mine on and played 3 songs and under my usage Music still says "No Data"
Stuke00 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 09:19 AM   #3
Dorfdad
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuke00 View Post
I turned mine on and played 3 songs and under my usage Music still says "No Data"
How did you setup the iphone or ipad? When I play a song it downloads it to the device I have 300megs of songs now on the device from streaming them?
Old Dec 4, 2012, 09:21 AM   #4
Stuke00
macrumors 6502a

Not sure if I did anything different. I generally don't leave it on so it may be different after an extended period of time. I am sure it has to cache some of the songs.
Stuke00 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 09:23 AM   #5
apunkrockmonk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfdad View Post
So i bought iTunes match to make a backup of my collection and to get higher quality songs and so far loving it. However i thought that the way it worked was that I could stream my itunes collection from the cloud on my ipad and or iphone without having to download all the songs and take up space on my device.

However it seems when I pick a song to stream over the cloud it will doanload that song locally. This isn't what I wanted as I want the songs to always 24/7 stream from the cloud like google music or MOG / Spotify does.

If I'm not mistaken this functionality has been added in the 6.1 betas. I haven't used 6.1 personally yet to confirm however.

I can confirm that on iOS devices, since inception there has been no way to stream an iTunes Match song without downloading, except in some of the iOS 5 betas that came out before iTunes Match actually launched.
MacBook Pro 13" i5 2.4GHz|8GB|256GB
apunkrockmonk is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 01:51 PM   #6
absurdamerica
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfdad View Post

Oh good, I want to ask you a question about this. Why do you want it to work that way??

I've never understood all of the people complaining that it streams the first play and stores the song locally. You're getting an instant play (upside of streaming) and saving on your data plan by having the song locally rather than needing to download it each time(downside of streaming).

It's the best of both worlds, so why do you care that it isn't streaming each time???
absurdamerica is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 01:53 PM   #7
MozMan68
macrumors 65816

It's not the best of both worlds if you don't have any room to store the songs...
MozMan68 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 01:58 PM   #8
ZeRoLiMiT
macrumors 6502

I am on iPhone 5 and with iOS 6.1 and iTunes match.

it does stream music once song is played its removed from the phone. I think this is awesome!!!
ZeRoLiMiT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 02:34 PM   #9
Defender2010
macrumors 68000

People, this has been discussed numerous times.....it DOES download the tracks played and does NOT stream. Only iTunes and Apple TV stream using iTunes Match.
If your music says 'no data', it's a bug where the music appears in 'other' instead! Ypu can also see this in iTunes on the coloured usage bar. Play a song and go to settings-general-about-songs. The song count goes up here after each play. I can confirm on iOS 6.1 beta 3, the music still downloads and not stream only, but you can delete individual songs after played (downloaded or 'locally cached' - whatever spin you want to put on it!)
To the thread starter, you should have read the details of iTunes Match a little closer. Streaming is not stated anywhere. Some pre-purchase reading would have been beneficial before you signed up to the service.
I too wish there was a true 'stream only' aspect to iTunes Match. Maybe they will do this in time.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeRoLiMiT View Post
I am on iPhone 5 and with iOS 6.1 and iTunes match.

it does stream music once song is played its removed from the phone. I think this is awesome!!!
It is not removed from the phone. Incorrect!
Old Dec 4, 2012, 03:27 PM   #10
ZeRoLiMiT
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender2010 View Post
People, this has been discussed numerous times.....it DOES download the tracks played and does NOT stream. Only iTunes and Apple TV stream using iTunes Match.
If your music says 'no data', it's a bug where the music appears in 'other' instead! Ypu can also see this in iTunes on the coloured usage bar. Play a song and go to settings-general-about-songs. The song count goes up here after each play. I can confirm on iOS 6.1 beta 3, the music still downloads and not stream only, but you can delete individual songs after played (downloaded or 'locally cached' - whatever spin you want to put on it!)
To the thread starter, you should have read the details of iTunes Match a little closer. Streaming is not stated anywhere. Some pre-purchase reading would have been beneficial before you signed up to the service.
I too wish there was a true 'stream only' aspect to iTunes Match. Maybe they will do this in time.

----------

It is not removed from the phone. Incorrect!
I just played a song that i haven't downloaded and then when it finished I play a different song that i did download and it shows the little square box for me to download the song. It doesn't stay on the phone.
ZeRoLiMiT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 03:41 PM   #11
Defender2010
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeRoLiMiT View Post
I just played a song that i haven't downloaded and then when it finished I play a different song that i did download and it shows the little square box for me to download the song. It doesn't stay on the phone.
The download arrow is a bug, it remains even if the song is played and downloaded in the background. Sometimes too, if you press this arrow to download a not previously played song, it downloads (you can see it) and then the arrow reappears.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 03:54 PM   #12
Dorfdad
macrumors 6502

Yeah the reason I stated was I have over 20 gigs of music I wanted access to all of them all the time and I have an almost full iphone So instead I guess I need a MOG or Spotify account to do this I guess currently.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:18 PM   #13
tangrets
macrumors newbie

Smile

i have no idea what you guys are all on about I have iTunes Match, and iPhone 5 running iOS 6.0.1 and I am able to stream all of my music from iCloud there is no music on my phone at all except the music I purchased via my iPhone all of my other music purchased on my computer doesn't download to my phone unless I turn off use iTunes Match in my general;music;iTunes Match is set to off and go into iTunes & app stores and turn off auto downloads of music and you should be fine.
tangrets is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6