Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
Bimmi,

I assume you were looking for Leopard 10.5 for Single User. that's $200 on amazon.com.

but the 5 user family pack is around $150, and the box set with iLife and iWork '09 is the same.

That is a great deal if it is Leopard + iLife + iWork. I think just iLife and iWork by themselves is $80 each? If you need/want these programs, that would be the best bet!

Bimmi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
Holy cow, the prices seem to be going up by the hour. Some places are charging over $200 for a single-user box. Madness!

The best prices I can still find are TechRestore for single-user and Trinity Software Distribution for the family pack. I don't suppose anyone here has ever dealt with these guys?

Bimmi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
Today's search turned up a number of resellers offering 10.5 boxes for some pretty stunning discounts. I went ahead and ordered this, though the cynic in me is wondering what the catch is. I'm willing to take the chance for thirty bux, though.

edit: out of stock (expletive deleted)

edit edit: bought the second-to-last Leopard box in town for full price... so, The End I guess!

norskd

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2010
Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if they discounted the software. They often sell old machines at a discount to make way for new stock. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Then again, if I were you I'd just stick with Tiger. I always thought it was a much more stable OS than Leopard, and actually downgraded from Leopard to Tiger on my iBook.

There are too many programs and apps that won't run on tiger. How do if my system will accept leopard? I currently have 10.3.9.

Eric S.

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
There are too many programs and apps that won't run on tiger. How do if my system will accept leopard? I currently have 10.3.9.

Did you mean to say "How do I know if my system will accept leopard"? You need a G5, or else a G4 that's at least 876MHz, to install Leopard (although there are workarounds to the installation limitation for slower G4s). Additionally you need at least 512MB RAM, although I would recommend at least 1GB.

When you say "too many programs and apps that won't run on tiger" do you mean ones that you can't upgrade from 10.3.9? Or do you mean ones that require Leopard as a minimum? Which apps would those be?

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Did you mean to say "How do I know if my system will accept leopard"? You need a G5, or else a G4 that's at least 876MHz, to install Leopard (although there are workarounds to the installation limitation for slower G4s). Additionally you need at least 512MB RAM, although I would recommend at least 1GB.

When you say "too many programs and apps that won't run on tiger" do you mean ones that you can't upgrade from 10.3.9? Or do you mean ones that require Leopard as a minimum? Which apps would those be?

iTunes

Mugwumper

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
Temecula, CA
My $0.02 . . .

I'm pretty much resigned to another year with Ye Olde G5, and I'd like to get it properly set up with Leopard. Most of the retailers I've checked are sold out, however, and I'm seeing some nasty pricetags on the few that are left.

So, anyone know where I could get a single-user 10.5 install at a reasonable price?

I wish I had seen your post sooner - and these comments are from someone
who used both Tiger and Leopard on a G5, as well as observations from a
friend who has the same G5 and Tiger. Both systems were used for a variety
of tasks - web, iPhoto, iTunes, office apps, etc.

Basically, my experience was that Leopard really made my fans work
overtime, while my friend's Tiger G5 never had the problem. Both systems
were maxed out with 2GB RAM. And my Leopard G5 was slower in some
ways than his Tiger G5.

I see that you've gone ahead and bought Leopard, so you're "committed".
But you may decide to go back to Tiger, so keep your disks and 10.4.x
update files . . . ;^)

Good luck!

norskd

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2010

Yes, I meant to say, "How do I know if my system will accept Leopard?" I have a PowerBook G4, 1.5 GHz, 512 MB DDR SDRAM. I was trying to download a program from pdanet to enable me to tether my droid to my computer and use it for wireless internet. However, the program requires a minimum of os x 10.6; I currently have 10.3.9. Also, I've been unable to update Flash and other programs because my system is too old. I'm not tech savvy, so I need simple solutions. Upgrading the system seems easiest at this point. I just don't want to spend the money only to discover that my computer cannot run Leopard.
Thanks!

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Yes, I meant to say, "How do I know if my system will accept Leopard?" I have a PowerBook G4, 1.5 GHz, 512 MB DDR SDRAM. I was trying to download a program from pdanet to enable me to tether my droid to my computer and use it for wireless internet. However, the program requires a minimum of os x 10.6; I currently have 10.3.9. Also, I've been unable to update Flash and other programs because my system is too old. I'm not tech savvy, so I need simple solutions. Upgrading the system seems easiest at this point. I just don't want to spend the money only to discover that my computer cannot run Leopard.
Thanks!

Your system will accept Leopard, though don't even consider it without upgrading RAM first. However, if the software you need requires 10.6, you're out of luck anyways. 10.6 is Snow Leopard, which is incompatible with the PPC processors; you'd have to purchase a new machine instead.

jW

norskd

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2010
Your system will accept Leopard, though don't even consider it without upgrading RAM first. However, if the software you need requires 10.6, you're out of luck anyways. 10.6 is Snow Leopard, which is incompatible with the PPC processors; you'd have to purchase a new machine instead.

jW

Just rechecked the requirements for the program I want to download and 10.5 is the minimum, so Leopard will work. Is it difficult to install more RAM? It may be more cost effective at this point to buy a new computer.

nickthebubble

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2011
any idea of apple stores in dublin? ebay prices are ridiculous for this 10.5 disk????

im starting to really hate apple

stroked

Suspended
May 3, 2010
I wanted Leopard for my iBook and looked on ebay, they were around $50. I just waited for a PPC Mac on Craigslist with a fresh install of Leopard. I bought a Powermac 933 MHz for $50, and with firewire and CCC, I now have Leopard instead of Tiger.

I was going to resale the Powermac, but I'm getting attached to it.

iLucas

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2011
Indiana
most posts here are old but
Has anyone found a place to buy leopard for less than 150?
im looking for a copy as well to use on my powermac g5

mmisbin

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2011
I wanted Leopard for my iBook and looked on ebay, they were around $50. I just waited for a PPC Mac on Craigslist with a fresh install of Leopard. I bought a Powermac 933 MHz for $50, and with firewire and CCC, I now have Leopard instead of Tiger.

I was going to resale the Powermac, but I'm getting attached to it.

Hi, could you explain your post? How did you get the Leopard operating system from the powermac 933 to your iBook with firewire and CCC? What is CCC?

MacAttack444

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2013
Leopard 10.5 replacement DVD for sale

I just needed one for my old eMac. It's a PPC and Leopard is the newest that can install on it. I bought one from this website. http://leopardosx.webs.com/

It arrived in 2 days :D I did a fresh install, did combo updates afterwards. Way better than $200 on Amazon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.