Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:41 AM   #1
memin2013
macrumors newbie

iPhone Hard or Silicone Case, which is better?

I'm getting an iPhone case but is there anyone who knows whether a silicone case is better or a hard case? Will the hard case protect the iPhone if it drops? Or will silicone be better. Also does silicone catch lint and dirt more easily than the hard plastic case? Let me know through your experience or preference which would be better. I'm thinking either one of below

memin2013 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:03 AM   #2
koigirl
macrumors 6502

I personally like the semi-rigid TPU cases best. They seem to stay cleaner, are easy to put on/ take off, provide decent drop protection, and don't stretch/discolor like silicone. The hard cases are okay if they have foam or rubber lining inside to provide some shock protection when/if you drop your phone. Hard cases are inherently prone to tiny surface scratches which may or may not bother you. The cases with a front lip protect the glass front of your phone better in a drop/fall. Hope this helps.
koigirl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:57 AM   #3
TyPod
macrumors 68000

I broke two screens on my 4 with a hard case on. Seems to not do much other than crack the screen and crack the case. If you're looking for some good protection, I definitely think a silicon case is the way to go. I feel they absorb the shock of the fall better.
TyPod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:23 PM   #4
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Define better. Provide your specific criteria. Every option always comes with pros and cons. You have to provide us with info on assessing which suits you better if you want recommendations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by memin2013 View Post
Will the hard case protect the iPhone if it drops?
Depends on the case. Depends on the drop. No case is going to fully protect the device in every possible situation. Hardness != impact resistance. Hard objects tend to transfer more impact. That said, many hard cases are lined with padding of some sort.

Quote:
Also does silicone catch lint and dirt more easily than the hard plastic case?
Generally speaking, yes.
takeshi74 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:34 PM   #5
Menel
macrumors 68040

Quote:
I'm getting an iPhone case but is there anyone who knows whether a silicone case is better or a hard case? Will the hard case protect the iPhone if it drops? Or will silicone be better. Also does silicone catch lint and dirt more easily than the hard plastic case? Let me know through your experience or preference which would be better. I'm thinking either one of below

ImageImage
Softer, impact absorbing material will protect from drops better.
It's also more porous, and will discolor easier.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:13 PM   #6
mysterydate
macrumors regular

see vendor information in user profile
Silicone and rubber cases stretch out and collect lint and dog hair and dirt and the paint comes off and smell weird and stick in your pocket and lead to broken hopes and dreams.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:26 PM   #7
theautopilot
macrumors 6502a

TPU is by far the best case material IMO. I would never go for silicone, hate the stuff. Some hard cases are OK I guess.
theautopilot is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories