Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jul 17, 2013, 03:29 PM   #1
citivolus
macrumors 6502

New Google Maps is jerky on iPad 3

anyone notice this? This is the first app in my suite where I am actually noticing jerkiness on my iPad 3. I wonder why, as I wouldn't think it's a very graphically demanding app.
citivolus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 03:35 PM   #2
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

I didn't notice. Were you just looking at locations or getting directions?
Old Jul 17, 2013, 03:36 PM   #3
Menge
macrumors 6502a

It's jerky here, too. But not by much.

What bothers me most is the two finger swipe gesture getting in the way of the pinching half of the time.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 03:41 PM   #4
SandboxGeneral

I played with it for a shot while earlier today and it seemed fine to me; I didn't notice any problems.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 03:46 PM   #5
citivolus
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCubsGo View Post
I didn't notice. Were you just looking at locations or getting directions?
just basic scrolling around the map is jerky. zooming in and out takes half a second to update the labels, so again the impression is much less than the "smooth as butter" interface I've been used to (and certainly slower than Apple Maps).

the worst performance hit I've noticed is when tapping on the menus on the side. they stutter a fair amount when coming in and out.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 06:16 PM   #6
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

I messed with it a bit more. I see what you're saying about the side menu slide in and out. Rendering is as fast as I'd expect. I'm using wifi though. I'd say it's all quite okay but you're right, it's a bit less smooth when compared to Apple maps, but scrolling to and from, renders just as fast. I'm also using hybrid mode.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 08:02 PM   #7
ATC
macrumors 6502

It's the same for me as the OP. It stutters quite a bit when scrolling and zooming on my ipad 3. In contrast Apple Maps on the same device is buttery smooth. FWIW, the same thing happens on my iPhone 5; GMaps stutters while Apple Maps doesn't at all.
ATC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 11:30 PM   #8
Badrottie
macrumors 68020

not much on my iPad 2, I think Google might be working on old iPad 2, they didn't test on iPad 3?
Old Jul 18, 2013, 12:47 AM   #9
ihakim
macrumors member

Noticed menus are slow for the iPad 4 as well.
ihakim is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 06:36 AM   #10
iosuser
macrumors 6502

Yes it's is very choppy. It's been that way since Google maps was released as a stand alone app. Happens on all devices, iphone 5, ipad 4, mini. Looks like it's running 30fps instead of 60fps. I guess some are less picky about this than others, but it was immediately apparent to me and it's very bothersome. I guess Google wanted iOS users to have a taste of 30fps goodness since Android users have suffered from it until recently The latest Google maps on the HTC One is smooth, like running Apple maps on the iphone 5.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 10:15 PM   #11
Markdek
macrumors member

Works fine on ipad 2
Markdek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:34 PM   #12
apollo1444
macrumors 65816

google doesn't write very good software but the maps are better than apples at least the info on them is
apollo1444 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 08:57 AM   #13
iosuser
macrumors 6502

I spoke too soon about the HTC One Google maps running at 60fps. It was, until my phone received the update to the redesigned version that matches the iOS version. Now it is just as jerky as the iOS version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markdek View Post
Works fine on ipad 2
Sure it works fine, but scrolling around is very choppy. Check out this video for 30fps vs 60fps. Some may not notice it as much as others. To me it is night and day. This is what the OP is talking about, the jerkiness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollo1444 View Post
google doesn't write very good software but the maps are better than apples at least the info on them is
Based on the smoothness alone I prefer Apple's maps, plus the traffic info on Google maps is useless to me because the green/red/yellow traffic indication all look the same to me - I'm very weak on certain shades of green and red. Apple's maps uses dotted lines which is much better. The only thing missing on Apple maps is exit numbers on highway. The only time I switched over to Google maps is when I need to lookup exit numbers. Looks like it will remain so, at least when I'm using the iphone.

Last edited by SandboxGeneral; Jul 19, 2013 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Added YouTube tags
iosuser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 10:45 AM   #14
citivolus
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihakim View Post
Noticed menus are slow for the iPad 4 as well.
this is surprising, and somewhat of a relief. I really didn't want to start seeing signs of age in my iPad 3 just yet!

the older version of Google Maps works great on my iPhone 5, not stuttering at all. I don't think I'm going to update it, since I use GM on my iPhone very often.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 11:22 AM   #15
apollo1444
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by iosuser View Post
I spoke too soon about the HTC One Google maps running at 60fps. It was, until my phone received the update to the redesigned version that matches the iOS version. Now it is just as jerky as the iOS version.

Sure it works fine, but scrolling around is very choppy. Check out this video for 30fps vs 60fps. Some may not notice it as much as others. To me it is night and day. This is what the OP is talking about, the jerkiness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nU2_ERC_oE

Based on the smoothness alone I prefer Apple's maps, plus the traffic info on Google maps is useless to me because the green/red/yellow traffic indication all look the same to me - I'm very weak on certain shades of green and red. Apple's maps uses dotted lines which is much better. The only thing missing on Apple maps is exit numbers on highway. The only time I switched over to Google maps is when I need to lookup exit numbers. Looks like it will remain so, at least when I'm using the iphone.
are you colorblind? because traffic line looks perfectly normal for me.
apollo1444 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 04:36 PM   #16
SandboxGeneral

I went back and played with it again for the last 20 minutes browsing around the United States in maps mode and in satellite mode. I went in and out of the menus, traffic, bicycling, public transit and such while browsing around. I went to areas where I live and then over to the Boston, Manhattan and Long Island areas too.

Through all of that the Google Maps worked quite well and I didn't have any issues to complain about regarding performance. My iPad is a 3rd generation 16GB one too.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 06:02 PM   #17
Fruit Cake
macrumors 6502a

It's jerky on iPad 4 too!
Fruit Cake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 08:50 PM   #18
ravenvii
macrumors 604

It's definitely jerky for me.

When opening the sidebar, and when hitting the, uh, that button that takes the view to your location. Stutter City!

Either affects usage, though. But definitely noticeable.

Wait, maybe Google's just trying to show us what it's like using Android?
Old Jul 20, 2013, 03:43 PM   #19
iosuser
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollo1444 View Post
are you colorblind? because traffic line looks perfectly normal for me.
Guess I wasn't all that clear, but yes I am. In this day and age, I'm surprise these gadgets are still not more accommodating to the color blind. A bit OT here but I once got in trouble with my boss. I was the admin managing a 800 node division. One of my daily routine was making sure all servers were 100%. My boss walked by the server room and saw that one drive in a RAID array failed, the indicator is the dreaded green light that changes red to indicate a problem. Couldn't use that as an excuse though as I'm supposed to receive an alert from the management console.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenvii View Post
It's definitely jerky for me.

When opening the sidebar, and when hitting the, uh, that button that takes the view to your location. Stutter City!

Either affects usage, though. But definitely noticeable.

Wait, maybe Google's just trying to show us what it's like using Android?
Yeah In all seriousness, the current Android phones (high end ones anyway) are silky smooth. It depends on the app though to run at full 60fps, some games such as gravity guy are still extremely choppy on Android but is silky smooth on even the older iPhones, exactly the same choppiness in Google maps. I just got an HTC One and am switching between it and my iPhone 5 as I please, though I've been on the HTC a whole week now without switching back.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad