|Jan 10, 2013, 04:54 AM||#1|
Iphone 5 Newb Questions
I am seriously considering the iphone 5 and will likely pick one up over the weekend. A few elementary questions:
1. will the service on my old phone stop immediately once I set up a contract for the iphone 5? Or, do I have to set up the iphone 5 first before the old phone stops working?
2. I am likely buying an otterbox defender case. Is there any other case with similar protection with a bit less bulk, by chance?
3. Are there any 'essential' accessories I should get, aside from a case?
4. The local apple stores are all booked up for intro workshops on the iphone. Is there a book or website that you recommend for the basics as a substitute?
Thanks, sorry for all the questions.
|Jan 10, 2013, 05:17 AM||#2|
2. Can't help you here. I personally carry my iP5 naked. However, I make my kids use the defender series. They abuse the crap out of their iPhones, and when we take them out of those cases to sell them at upgrade time, they always look brand new. I'm a big fan of otterbox cases for protection (even though I don't use cases).
3. Additional charger. I recommend a car charger (if required). It never hurts to have more than 1 charger. I have a mounted charger in my car (proclipusa makes awesome mounts). When I drive to and from work, I sync my iP5 via bluetooth to my Ford Sync (listen to Pandora, etc.). It's awesome being able to charge the iP5 at the same time so I have a topped off battery when I arrive at my destination.
Also, iTunes gift cards and/or money set aside for apps. The iPhone really shines when you add apps. Many are free, some cost a few dollars. Lots of information on apps on the internet.
4. The beauty of the iPhone is how simple it is to use. Obviously, there are some more robust options buried within the OS. However, in my opinion you've already discovered the best learning resource (Mac Rumors). Just do some searching through old threads and/or ask if you can't find the information you are looking for. There is basically a "how to" for every conceivable option the iPhone has to offer with a quick google search.
Congrats on getting an iPhone! I think you'll love it.
2011 27" 2.7GHz iMac 2012 2.5GHz 13" MBP iPhone 6 / iPhone 5S / iPhone 5 iPad Air AppleTV / AEBS 802.11ac
|Jan 10, 2013, 05:14 PM||#3|
Thanks cosmo for your reply!
I will get an IP5 hopefully at a walmart with the price discount.
What are people's experiences buying iphones at walmart? I doubt it would pose any issues? After all, it's a new sealed item and you activate and set it up yourself, just as you would anywhere else.
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|A few newb questions||ukchris||Mac Basics and Help||1||Oct 26, 2013 10:54 PM|
|Semi Newb Question Restore from iPhone 5 backup to iPhone 5S||tgi||iPhone||1||Sep 20, 2013 09:26 PM|
|Newb questions...||Ryanspowerbook||PowerPC Macs||23||Mar 5, 2013 09:29 AM|
|phones: Questions: Android & Galaxy Nexus - Newb||Supa_Fly||Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices||11||Jul 14, 2012 06:04 PM|
|Newb Time Machine Questions||markp99||MacBook Pro||7||Jul 9, 2012 01:15 PM|
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:44 PM.