Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Patrick Michael

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2013
It appears that the Facebook app for some scenarios is hosting Safari and showing a "chromeless' webpage so that it looks better.

Does anyone know the URL or other trick to make this happen?

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
If I'm following your question correctly, it's not actually the browser opening.

Native iOS apps can open a "web view" in the app itself, with very specific control presentation (and make the web view appear chromeless).

Basically when you call native web content, but you want the user to experience it seamlessly in the app (very common, Twitter, most news/feed apps, etc.)

Patrick Michael

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2013
Yes, I wasn't clear.

The content within the "Web View" has the "Facebook Chrome" stripped out of it. This must becoming from either a different URL or some other flag that the Facebook website knows to remove certain content (such as Chat).

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Yes, I wasn't clear.

The content within the "Web View" has the "Facebook Chrome" stripped out of it. This must becoming from either a different URL or some other flag that the Facebook website knows to remove certain content (such as Chat).

OK, yes, that's what I said above.

When you're in an app, and the app opens some "regular" web content without switching over to Safari, it does it through a UIWebView ... that's basically like an embedded browser, but minus all the browser chrome/controls/nav/etc.

It's handy for displaying web content while controlling the UX and keeping the user "in" the original app (and you can display some custom menu options).

Patrick Michael

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2013
Thanks again for responding.

You are right, and what that hosted webcontrol is doing is sending a different URL than the regular facebook URL, or an added query string to have the facebook website return *different* HTML to the iPad app.

I think this requires URL sniffing at the router level. That's the URL I am looking for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.