Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Aug 5, 2013, 07:49 PM   #1
Constancex
macrumors newbie

Should I buy a MacBook Pro with/without retina display?

I'm going to start college soon and wondering is it worth it to get the retina display? All I'm going to do on it, is use it for homework and web surfing.

Also, what printer should I get? Are all printers compatible with macs?
Constancex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 08:58 PM   #2
JoEw
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constancex View Post
I'm going to start college soon and wondering is it worth it to get the retina display? All I'm going to do on it, is use it for homework and web surfing.

If that is all you are going to use it for, perhaps a Macbook Air is more up your alley.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 09:19 PM   #3
Pharmscott
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constancex View Post
Pretty much any printer available in retail channels will work for you. If you narrow down your list to a few, you can verify Mac compatibility at the manufacturer's web site.
Pharmscott is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 02:14 AM   #4
KylePowers
macrumors 68000

MacBook Air would be fine for your uses.

But if you're really looking for an MBP, I'd suggest the one with the retina display (assuming money isn't an issue). You can scale the resolution to that higher of the standard MBP, which means more screen real estate to have windows side-by-side (browser + Word, for example), which is super ideal for college.

However! Wait until the MBPs get upgraded to Haswell before buying one, if you can. If you can't wait until then, then I'd highly suggest the new MBA.
KylePowers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 10:38 AM   #5
AXs
macrumors 6502a

No.
AXs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 01:26 PM   #6
velocityg4
macrumors 68040

I'd also say an Air would do fine. All the retina display is for most people is a want item. Their isn't much advantage. I'd put the saved money towards other upgrades or peripherals.

As far as printers go. From all my clients experiences Brother makes the absolute most reliable consumer grade printers.
HP has really let quality slip. A lot of the new HP's jam a lot, the ink is insanely expensive and difficult to get reliable third party ink and the network printers lose connection to computers often.
Canon and Epson are decent nothing remarkable.
velocityg4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 02:49 PM   #7
tgi
macrumors 6502a

Only you can answer if a retina display is worth it. To me, it is. To others it might not be.
tgi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 03:01 PM   #8
notjustjay
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocityg4 View Post
As far as printers go. From all my clients experiences Brother makes the absolute most reliable consumer grade printers.
Brothers are also great because consumable costs are lower. On their laser printers, the drum unit and toner cartridges are separate pieces, so you pay less per toner refill. The downside is eventually you do have to replace the drum unit too, but by then (depending on your print output) you might even be better off replacing the whole printer. Brother laser printers -- which include the drum unit and starter toner -- can be had extremely cheaply.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 05:42 PM   #9
magbarn
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustjay View Post
Brothers are also great because consumable costs are lower. On their laser printers, the drum unit and toner cartridges are separate pieces, so you pay less per toner refill. The downside is eventually you do have to replace the drum unit too, but by then (depending on your print output) you might even be better off replacing the whole printer. Brother laser printers -- which include the drum unit and starter toner -- can be had extremely cheaply.
I know we're going OT, but laser printer>ink jet every time except for photos. You can store a laser printer for years and bring it out and start printing again like it was yesterday. Whilst an ink jet will readily dry out it's ink in a month or two after installing it. So even if you only printed 10 pages in 3 months, you're still going to end up paying $4 per page as your $40 ink cartridge is now dried up.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 08:21 PM   #10
designs216
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustjay View Post
Brothers are also great because consumable costs are lower. ...
Knowing that HP quality has slipped, I bought the OJP 8600 for the lowest cost per print (per Consumer Reports) in addition to the fact that I had to have a color printer. The cost of color laser printers is still fairly high so despite my reservations I went with HP.

Also, get the Air.
designs216 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice