Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jetlagged

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
hey guys, i have an iphone 5 non-contract with verizon. i'm coming from an iphone 4.i bought it at the apple store and the employee there said i can activate it easily at home. i asked him if i needed a sim card for it, he said no. anyways i went over to verizon.com to change my device and activate my iphone 5 by typing in my MEID number. As soon as I enter it and hit the next button, it says this:

Thank you! Your new device is 4G-enabled and requires a SIM Card. You may also need a new monthly plan.
ou are requesting to change from a 3G device to a 4G device.

This device requires a SIM Card, a portable memory chip that holds account information (plan), address book, text messages, music, photos, and more.

I dont see any sim card in the iphone 5 box. where would i be able to find it? or do i have to go to verizon to get one? yeah i'm just at a lost at the moment thinking i would be able to activate it right away according to the apple store employee.

haddman

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
you will need to go to a verizon store with the phone and have them activate a SIM for it. It will not work without a SIM like the iP4 & iP4S. Be sure and take the phone, they normally will not give you a SIM to activate at home.

Are you sure it doesn't have a SIM? It should come with a sim installed in the phone. I bought my verizon iP5 from the apple store, and called verizon to activate. The sim was already installed in the SIM tray.

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
There is a sim card in the phone. Use the sim tool provided in box and take the sim card out. You will have to enter the numbers on the sim and it will activate. put the sim card back in the phone and you are good to go.

jetlagged

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
you will need to go to a verizon store with the phone and have them activate a SIM for it. It will not work without a SIM like the iP4 & iP4S. Be sure and take the phone, they normally will not give you a SIM to activate at home.

Are you sure it doesn't have a SIM? It should come with a sim installed in the phone. I bought my verizon iP5 from the apple store, and called verizon to activate. The sim was already installed in the SIM tray.

Thanks. Yeah my full price iphone 5 didnt come with a sim card and a sim card opener. i ordered a sim card on wednesday, should arrive today, but if it doesnt arrive by today or tuesday of next week i'll just drop by my local verizon store.

xlost6

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
That's weird yours didn't come with a nanoSIM card preinstalled because mines did when I purchased mines a week ago. I also bought an off contract, full price Verizon iPhone 5.

The Genuis asked me for a few signatures and I logged on My Verizon account and noticed my iPhone 4 was deactivated and the iPhone 5 was activated. All I needed to do was just turn it on and I did and everything worked out as planned.

jetlagged

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
That's weird yours didn't come with a nanoSIM card preinstalled because mines did when I purchased mines a week ago. I also bought an off contract, full price Verizon iPhone 5.

The Genuis asked me for a few signatures and I logged on My Verizon account and noticed my iPhone 4 was deactivated and the iPhone 5 was activated. All I needed to do was just turn it on and I did and everything worked out as planned.

yeah you're lucky. i should have opened up my iphone 5 at the apple store and activated it there and then. i'm still using my iphone 4 and at this time i dont mind waiting until my sim arrives.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.