Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

utekineir

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2008
**** it.

Just keep the expensive one, and please finance it.

If you don't have any idea what you need in a top of the line computer for casual use how the hell should we know?

Thank you for supporting the economy.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
If you're worried about the investment, how attached are you is the idea of a retina? I ask because, a non retina MBP with a 512GB SSD and 16GB of RAM can be had for around $1700 if you do the upgrades yourself. (13", add about $500 for the 15")

Personally, I like having 16GB because I feel like, in 5 years, I'll still have enough RAM. Dunno if I'll wait that long to upgrade, but I might! On a classic MBP though, it's easy to upgrade. Retina it's not obviously!

frocco

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 27, 2009
Another option is to buy the 2.6/16/512 and this would save about 700.00US.
I have until tomorrow.

lightz39

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2012
I had the same thought. Then I shook my head and went "WTF bud you love this thing" and didn't. (Cool story right)

frocco

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 27, 2009
I had the same thought. Then I shook my head and went "WTF bud you love this thing" and didn't. (Cool story right)

That's great, did you have to choose between rMBP and iMac?
I am finding it kinda nice to sit on my couch and use the rMBP.

Maybe I should just forget about the iMac and just buy a larger screen.

frocco

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 27, 2009
Well, I returned it and now have no computer. The guy at the apple store told me he had the iMac with the 680mx in stock and when I got there, they had none. I complained about driving 100 miles round trip and was told "sorry"

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Well, I returned it and now have no computer. The guy at the apple store told me he had the iMac with the 680mx in stock and when I got there, they had none. I complained about driving 100 miles round trip and was told "sorry"

Don't know what to say except that stores sometimes sell things out before you have a chance to get there. Did they offer to order one for you? You can try online. Did you order the cheaper rMPB? If so, which one?

frocco

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 27, 2009
I called apple retention to complain about the store. He said he will call them Monday , but asked me to keep bugging them. I have not yet ordered online, but am considering 2.6/16/512 if the iMac ends up being a long wait. I have no other computer.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I called apple retention to complain about the store. He said he will call them Monday , but asked me to keep bugging them. I have not yet ordered online, but am considering 2.6/16/512 if the iMac ends up being a long wait. I have no other computer.

Did the store sell it before you arrived, or did they just not have it in the first place? Did the manager confirm it was in stock and say he would hold it aside for you?

frocco

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 27, 2009
I think they never had it. Manager was not on duty, I think the sales person was incompetent.

NewishMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2007
**** it.

Just keep the expensive one, and please finance it.

If you don't have any idea what you need in a top of the line computer for casual use how the hell should we know?

Thank you for supporting the economy.

Hopefully this is sarcastic.

Financing it is a terrible idea unless you will earn more specifically by having the computer (versus one that you don't have to finance) than you spend on the interest payments.

Spending money doesn't help an economy more than saving, as a healthy economy relies on savings to finance innovation and productivity growth with real market interest rates as corporate investment signals rather than the printing of money and the resultant artificially low interest rates that lead to mal-investment and inefficiently distributed productivity gains.

You will probably not miss the extra 8GB unless you run VMs, where it comes in very handy.

__

utekineir

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2008
Hopefully this is sarcastic.

Financing it is a terrible idea unless you will earn more specifically by having the computer (versus one that you don't have to finance) than you spend on the interest payments.

Are you ******** me? Every single person here has to explain out every bit of detail in every single post, and take every little thing literally with a response in essay form.

This forum has more downs in it than a little yellow bus. Between the 30 new threads a day asking the same questions and the responses taking each one as seriously and comprehensively as the last.

Its absolutely asburd the number of posters here who want to be spoon fed every bit of info for any product and the people ready to hop in and say, hey sir i took time out of my day so you did not have to run a 3 item google search. I'm sorry but the internet doesnt give gold stars. Maybe some sticky threads would help?

Sticky: Do you need a maxed out rmbp?

Answer: If you are asking the question then no, no you do not and you do not know what your needs are.

That post you quoted was after several helpful attempts of essay writing for the op since I own a base rmbp and have the same sort of non professional needs and have been 110% happy with it despite the majority of people that say you must invest another 10%-30% into the machine spec wise. Between that and everyone elses posts the op was still back at square one with 0 idea of what he needed in a computer like he hadn't even bothered to think about his uses or attempt to read any of the responses. Textbook example of more money than brains.

How the hell are we supposed to help him when he has no idea what he wants himself?

Last edited:

frocco

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 27, 2009
I am just looking for opinions on how others decided on their purchase.

I must say you are sounding a bit rude in your post (brains). I was asking for advise on purchase, if that bothers you, you not have replied.

I just did not feel that 4k for a laptop was worth it for me and wanted advise on other configs.

Yes, it is a hassle now to have to wait.

stevelam

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2010
Obviously will vary based on your intended usage, but I've had my 2.6/8/512 for about a week and I think the 8 GB feels slightly more constrained than I expected (generally running about 1.5-2.5 gigs free under pretty light usage; definitely plenty for now, but I wonder what that will feel like under 10.9/10.10?) and I can't even conceive how I'll get close to filling up the 512 GB. Not saying I feel like I should have opted for the 16/256 and I'm very happy with the machine overall, but my impression at this point is slightly different from what I expected going in.

people need to learn that ram is MEANT TO BE USED. just because you 'only' have 1.5-2.5 gigs under 'pretty light usage' means absolutely nothing. if you had 16gb of ram, it'll get eaten up during 'pretty light usage' as well. thats what memory management is for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.