Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dingdongbubble

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
We have services like Skype that seem cheaper to make calls from. So why haven't manufacturers made devices that have only data plans on them like tablets. Folk would make phone calls using Skype or whatever over the data network. Or is regular cellular technology still cheaper for voice calls? This way we could save at least $15-30 every month if the plans had no minutes and stuff.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Voice calls over the Internet's quality is spotty. Internet was not originally designed for live.voice. Many variables. Then of course u have to be near hotspots, not necessarily convenient for everyone.

Cellular voice actually doesnt take much bandwidth. Is those YouTube videos, Netflix, streaming that takes up the available tower's capacity.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
We have services like Skype that seem cheaper to make calls from. So why haven't manufacturers made devices that have only data plans on them like tablets. Folk would make phone calls using Skype or whatever over the data network. Or is regular cellular technology still cheaper for voice calls? This way we could save at least $15-30 every month if the plans had no minutes and stuff.

Tablets with data plans already exist.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006

You answered your own question :p

digitalhen

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006

Put a data SIM in your iphone.... win?

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY

You want a phone without phone service?
You think that the carriers would lower the price and reduce their profits if you only use data?
Carriers want to make more money not less. Come up with a plan that makes them more money and you have a winner.

GeorgieAcevedo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
New York City
Skype app isn't so good yet. Tons of crashing and not being to get a hold of the other person but I love it and I use it every night. I love how good the phone quality is. I talk with my gf every night on Skype. We hate the quality of phone calls. We never talk on the phone via our numbers. Always Skype. I just wish the app was fixed.

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
By the time the LTE networks are built out and the software side of the problem is sorted out to make VoIP a reasonable replacement for a regular cell number, the providers will move to Voice over LTE (VoLTE). They are already transitioning the offered plans for this future "all IP" scenario with the new plans including unlimited talk and text anyway.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Because it wouldn't be a phone, there are plenty of data only communications devices already, including the iPod Touch.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
Because it wouldn't be a phone, there are plenty of data only communications devices already, including the iPod Touch.

Why wouldn't it be a phone? Voice over LTE already exists. But carriers are waiting to support it. At some point traditional "voice" plans will no longer exist as the technology is being phased out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.