Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
No I didn't, but I have a macbook air, iMac, iPad and iPhone, so I know enough to manage resources and not carry every damn file with me all the time on all my devices.

That's still a personal choice not an indication of any form of knowledge.

I have a large library of music. I want immediate access to not only music I listen to often, but music I've just obtained very recently from either iTunes or soundcloud etc... and music I know I'll want to listen to. I don't want to have to sync my iPhone daily just to decide what to remove and what to keep. I want the bulk of what I know I want to listen to from my collection with me and even when I delete a few albums or a DJ Set that I haven't played in a few months', you can almost guarantee a conversation about the artist will happen and I'll reach for my iPhone only for the track to still be on my Mac because I've removed it to make room for something else.

My Mac is a pretty good example of what I mean.

I have an SSD in an optibay. It's only 60Gb but it only needs to contain the OS and any files I use regularly that take quite a lot of time to load off a conventional hard drive because of the number of small files or sustained readspeed of large ones. I also have the Mac Mini's original 320Gb drive with my iTunes Music library on it and general document, 11Gb of which I can fit on my iPhone at any given time and then a 750Gb drive externally with larger media files on like TV Shows and films.

All of this available from my Mac at the same time. I don't need to wait till I'm somewhere else, plug my Mac into a drive there and then get to the file I want, it's all there on my Mac, it's just not all in it's internal storage.

KevinN206

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2009
I don't mind this, but honestly, this whole argument and ads after ad fighting between Microsoft and Apple, over 'muti-tasking'

They do their own version, which works for them .... What's the big deal here.

Microsoft has a piddling little side-bar that looks like you can't store any useful info in, where as the iPad actually does switch (which may be in-convenient), but as least its "full screen"

take that Microsoft :p
Well lucky you. Windows 8 has both options. You can either view both sides-by-side or just with ONE finger (not 3 or 4 fingers), switch between two apps back-and-forth in fullscreen. Plus, Windows 8.1 will allow multiple resize options including 50/50, which is very useful for watching a quick episode of a show on hulu.com while simultaneously chatting. CAN'T do that on an iPad.

Switching between two apps in fullscreen with ONE finger

This is me watching a full episode of Family Guy on hulu.com while chatting on Skype (or something else). Left side is fullscreen Internet Explorer 11 and right side is Skype on Windows 8.1 RT Preview

1) Can't watch hulu.com (the free version with full episodes)
2) Can't watch hulu.com AND chat at the same time
3) Viewing two apps at the same time is not useful until Apple does it

Last edited:

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
You do know that you will be able to toggle those settings from the control center in iOS 7?

Yes, and I know that the feature should have been available in iOS 3 or 4.

There's no disputing that iOS 7 looks like a great update. I'm skeptical of the icon design but it might be better than it looks in photos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.