Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iDap

Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
I have encountered a problem with my jailbroken ipad 2 yesterday...

I was browsing some of my files through iFile, hadn't made any changes, then suddenly the app froze, closed it, and saw the battery has no numbers and the percentage logo (even though the battery was almost half full), and the SBS toggles/info in the notification center are all gone, then suddenly screen went black only showing the loading indicator, took some time, then the apple logo appeared and keeps rebooting...

using absinthe jailbroken iOS 5.0.1

is there any way to fix this without losing data? or at least recover my files?

EDIT: just noticed now there's a progress bar under the logo, but not moving.

EDIT2: after leaving it for a while with the logo and progress bar, it changed to the loading indicator screen, but the indicator was not moving.

Last edited:

iDap

Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
do some reading first on this forum and google on restoring your iPad and SHSH's

well i searched, and the solutions i found will erase all of the files. If you know a solution for not getting the files deleted, can you point me to that thread/site?

you have any idea what makes this happen? why it is not starting?

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Erase all settings will make it go into a loop anyway, that can't be done on a JBen idevice

Search some more

Did you try a hard reset, holding home and power for upto a minute?

It looks like you'll have to restore, that takes some steps, you'll need to read up on that before we can help.

iDap

Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Erase all settings will make it go into a loop anyway, that can't be done on a JBen idevice

Search some more

Did you try a hard reset, holding home and power for upto a minute?

It looks like you'll have to restore, that takes some steps, you'll need to read up on that before we can help.

Maybe you misunderstood my problem...

My ipad is not starting up, it stays on the apple logo.

So I can't reset settings or do a hard reset.

Also like I said, I don't want my files deleted, even if it won't fix it to start, I just want to recover my files..

sorry but this is really upsetting me, I was using the ipad normally like always, hadn't made any changes, it didn't fall or anything, and then suddenly your not able to access or recover the files.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
No i did not misunderstand you, you mentioned erase all settings, just pointed out that it can't be done on a jben phone.

'hard reset' does not get rid of your files, it just restarts it a different way.

Did you try to use ifunbox, you can get into the file structure from a pc or mac and retrieve the important files.

Also you can try kicking it out of recovery using TinyUmbrella or redsn0w.

Jailbreaking can be a challenge sometimes, it has some downsides, please educate yourself.

iDap

Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
No i did not misunderstand you, you mentioned erase all settings, just pointed out that it can't be done on a jben phone.

'hard reset' does not get rid of your files, it just restarts it a different way.

Did you try to use ifunbox, you can get into the file structure from a pc or mac and retrieve the important files.

Also you can try kicking it out of recovery using TinyUmbrella or redsn0w.

Jailbreaking can be a challenge sometimes, it has some downsides, please educate yourself.

Ah alright, maybe I wasn't clear enough, but I didn't want to erase settings, but no problem.

Yeah I know hard reset doesn't delete files, I tried doing it of course, but doesn't do anything. I thought maybe because the device is not actually starting so there's no reason to reset it.

But doesn't iFunBox only works if the iPad is working? I will give it a try anyway.

Yeah I tried kicking it out of recovery with redsn0w, keeps saying it doesn't support iPad 2, but didn't try with TinyUmbrella, I'll give it a shot.

Yeah I know that Jailbreak can give you a big slap in the face, but I didn't install any app from cydia or anything that would make sense, I was just browsing with iFile without changing any setting.

iDap

Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Didn't work with iFunBox (No Device connected)

Didn't work with TinyUmbrella (Clicked on "Fix Recovery", nothing happened)

LOG:
12/07/2012 22:21:38.298 Loaded History... 12/07/2012 22:21:41.271 Caching shsh files... 12/07/2012 22:21:41.273 Found [0] shsh files to cache... 12/07/2012 22:21:41.276 Cached [0] shsh files 12/07/2012 22:21:41.278 You are using the current version of TinyUmbrella. 12/07/2012 22:21:43.238 DFU Device connected 12/07/2012 22:21:46.657 Attempting to fix recovery... 12/07/2012 22:21:46.885 Starting fix recovery sequence... 12/07/2012 22:21:46.888 Fix Recovery has finished. Allow device to reboot! 12/07/2012 22:22:13.253 DFU Device disconnected

:(

EDIT:

I managed to to get the SHSH numbers, but I don't know what are they for.

I also noticed that iFunBox now shows my device with my files, not sure if they are all displayed, but I can only recover the files in less than 1 minute, then the device reboots until it gets connected again.

Of course all of this is happening with the apple logo stuck on the iPad.

Last edited:

iDap

Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
I guess there's no way to fix this...

If only it won't restart every minute, it would be a lot easier to recover the files then do a full restore.

Last edited:

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
I guess there's no way to fix this...

If only it won't restart every minute, it would be a lot easier to recover the files then do a full restore.

This recently just happened to me on an Iphone I was trying to fix, I tried everything and every suggestion and nothing seemed to work. Eventually I had to give back to the owner and they just sent it to Apple for a new one.

Only difference I think was the one I was working on wasn't j/b

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.