Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 4, 2013, 05:26 PM   #1
sdilley14
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Help me understand... ["iWatch" hype]

Please help me understand all of this sudden "iWatch" hype. I just don't get it. Like anyone else, I am excited at the prospect of pretty much ANY new Apple product. And I'm sure if they do come out with some type of watch device, it is going to be pretty damn sharp. (Assuming this isn't just speculation at this point) But I don't understand why they are going into this segment.

By and large, Apple's motto has been one of "making products people want before they ever realize they have a desire for it". Or something along those lines anyways. It seems so "un-Apple" to take an existing product and just jump into that market. It makes sense to me with an Apple TV because of the obvious tie-ins and implications with the existing Apple ecosystem, iTunes, etc. That makes a lot more sense to me. But this just doesn't make sense to me.

I may be biased because I don't wear a watch and I have no desire to wear one. I just can't quite picture how this is going to be a device I would integrate into my life. If it is going to be used to get notifications from your phone, you would likely have to have your phone on you as well and keep it linked with BT (draining your phone's battery). It doesn't seem practical to text on a watch sized screen. You could use Siri to dictate messages, but I don't like the idea of reading my messages out loud. Running a headphone cable up my arm to listen to music doesn't seem practical. I can see it being useful as a pedometer and heart rate monitor and other applications like that. Maybe it will have NFC (or some type of similar technology) built in as well? I don't know. Of course this is all speculation, but I just don't see how this fits in with the Apple we have come to know. Maybe I am looking at it all wrong?
sdilley14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 08:31 PM   #2
phoenixsan
macrumors 65816
 
phoenixsan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
From....

the original deployment of the iPod, an idea came to my mind: Is Apple making forays in segments to improve the experience and build a dominance? iPod, iPhone, iPad.....I think we can see a trend here. Same logic to be applied to the future (maybe) iTV and iWatch. But in the core origin of Apple, the first thing was take some dull and boring (PCs with commands to do things) and do that dull things better.

No particular fond of the i-Items, because I have another needs better served with other products/brands. And seems to me, too many i-Items users use them as fashion/status declarations. And for toying. Not saying that serious work or things can not be done. In fact, in another of my posts here, I stated that many people have covered their computing needs with an iPhone and iPad. And we have to be realistic, Apple is a very sucessful company and the focus of so much speculation/hype. If in some moment Apple develops the i-Toilet, be sure that will be hype yet.

Bottom line: an i-Watch dont make sense to me. But I had told in this post part of the reasoning where I can get some logic in this hype/rumor/product development

__________________
Mac Pro 2012 3.06 Westmere version, 12 Core 64 GB RAM, 4 TB , iPhone 5 (black), Moto G 8 GB (black)
phoenixsan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 10:44 PM   #3
boss.king
macrumors 68040
 
boss.king's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Im with you OP, I don't know what the point of it is. Im sure if they spent lots of money on it they must have a vision for it. Personally I didn't think see the point of the iPad until the Mini (which finally made the iPad a properly portable tablet), so maybe im not their target market. I think it might be one of those things that wild be nice addition to a fully fledged Apple collection, to manage your phone, computer etc. I don't see it doing much more than what the iPhone already does better, so I'll probably pass.
boss.king is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 09:20 AM   #4
sdilley14
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wisconsin
I should also add this: I have no problem with Apple making a watch device if they are in fact going to do it. Any time Apple is rumored to be making a new device, I get as interested and excited about it as any. However, I do think that this whole "watch" thing should be approached more like the current Apple TV offering...a "second tier" product (in relation to Apple's product portfolio), a "hobby", supplemental to existing products and the Apple ecosystem as a whole...not a "flagship", "next big thing", segment defining/changing, "game changing" product, like everyone has come to expect at this point. The only problem with that, however, is that I don't know if Apple can develop any type of product now without the expectation of it creating an entirely new category or entirely redefining an existing category. A wearable time piece/pedometer/heart rate reader/external iPhone notification hub/whatever else...just feels like more of an "accessory" to me rather than a full fledged, flagship product as a whole.
sdilley14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 09:44 AM   #5
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603
 
Jessica Lares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Near Dallas, Texas, USA
It's going to be an accessory. Sorta like the socks, the loop, and Smart Cover. But it's going to be in the same category as the Apple TV - A hobby.

I think Apple is mainly doing it because there is a lot of interest, but nobody is getting it right. Most people who end up with the Pebble will probably get rid of it within six months. LiveView was a complete failure, and the Sony Smartwatch is right behind it.

I personally can't wait to see all the nice bands I can get for it!
__________________
Have You Hugged Your Mac Today?
Daily Expressions | iMac G4 | Late 2011 13" MacBook Pro | iPod Nano (7G) | iPad Mini | iPod Touch (5G) | iPhone 5S
Jessica Lares is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:07 AM   #6
sdilley14
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
It's going to be an accessory. Sorta like the socks, the loop, and Smart Cover. But it's going to be in the same category as the Apple TV - A hobby.

I think Apple is mainly doing it because there is a lot of interest, but nobody is getting it right. Most people who end up with the Pebble will probably get rid of it within six months. LiveView was a complete failure, and the Sony Smartwatch is right behind it.

I personally can't wait to see all the nice bands I can get for it!
If it is marketed like this from day one, I think it would be a great idea. I work out a lot and I like the implications of an accessory like this. Something like a Nike FuelBand (or whatever it is) on steroids.

My fear is that they will come out with this, it won't be an Earth shattering product like "experts/analysts/industry insiders" expect, and the stock will take a hit as a result.
sdilley14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:09 AM   #7
snberk103
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: An Island in the Salish Sea
I think you are missing the point. I doubt that this is a 'watch' at all. I think it is an interface to whatever iDevice you have/are using. It may sit on your wrist like a watch, but that is as far it will go.

Instead of pulling out your iPod to adjust volume or start a new track, you just tap your watch. Your iPod stays in your pocket.

Instead of pulling out your iPhone to read text messages, you can read the messages on your watch. Simple questions can get the 'Siri' treatment - and the watch will offer you a way to tap on a couple of programmed choices so you can make a quick reply.

Still with the iPhone, the watch can 'buzz' you (no one else will notice) to let you know your phone is ringing. Different buzz patterns can be set for different types of calls or callers. You can leave your phone in your pocket except for the call you need to take. The caller's number can display on the watch face as well.

Your iPhone/iPad is giving you navigation directions while you walk. One buzz, turn left.... two buzzes, turn right. Else... go straight.

You have set a rendezvous with a friend or a lover, and are meeting in crowded place. Your watches will figure out where you are in relation to each other and help you meet.

It can display QR codes.... so it can act as a boarding pass. And do all the other things that we use QR codes for.

Basically, it can display all the little messages and text that we use our iDevices for. It may not have a good input function... but it will be great as a notification system.

Oh, and it can tell the time too... if you want it to.
__________________
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton
snberk103 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:12 AM   #8
blueroom
macrumors 603
 
blueroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada
A Bluetooth linked iWatch with an OLED or eInk display would be handy for notifications and telling the time without pulling out your phone. Less dropped and shattered phones as a side bonus.

Add speaker & mic would be awesome. NFC too please.

Doesn't need video or WiFi.
__________________
My iOS devices are not jailbroken.
Bill
My Blog
blueroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:17 AM   #9
sdilley14
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by snberk103 View Post
I think you are missing the point. I doubt that this is a 'watch' at all. I think it is an interface to whatever iDevice you have/are using. It may sit on your wrist like a watch, but that is as far it will go.

Instead of pulling out your iPod to adjust volume or start a new track, you just tap your watch. Your iPod stays in your pocket.

Instead of pulling out your iPhone to read text messages, you can read the messages on your watch. Simple questions can get the 'Siri' treatment - and the watch will offer you a way to tap on a couple of programmed choices so you can make a quick reply.

Still with the iPhone, the watch can 'buzz' you (no one else will notice) to let you know your phone is ringing. Different buzz patterns can be set for different types of calls or callers. You can leave your phone in your pocket except for the call you need to take. The caller's number can display on the watch face as well.

Your iPhone/iPad is giving you navigation directions while you walk. One buzz, turn left.... two buzzes, turn right. Else... go straight.

You have set a rendezvous with a friend or a lover, and are meeting in crowded place. Your watches will figure out where you are in relation to each other and help you meet.

It can display QR codes.... so it can act as a boarding pass. And do all the other things that we use QR codes for.

Basically, it can display all the little messages and text that we use our iDevices for. It may not have a good input function... but it will be great as a notification system.

Oh, and it can tell the time too... if you want it to.
An elegantly designed product that offers those functions does sound great.

I guess my point is more of a "no good deed goes unpunished" point of view. I can see them making a pretty great little product like this...but still getting clobbered by industry "experts" and stock analysts because they gave us a "watch" instead of a TV. They gave us an evolution of an existing device rather than an entirely new, "un thought of" device all together.
sdilley14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:26 AM   #10
snberk103
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: An Island in the Salish Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdilley14 View Post
An elegantly designed product that offers those functions does sound great.

I guess my point is more of a "no good deed goes unpunished" point of view. I can see them making a pretty great little product like this...but still getting clobbered by industry "experts" and stock analysts because they gave us a "watch" instead of a TV. They gave us an evolution of an existing device rather than an entirely new, "un thought of" device all together.
It could be a cool product, eh? One of the clues that this is not a watch is that Apple is struggling with the prototypes to get the times between power charges up to, IIRC, something close to a week. A watch goes about year on a battery, so this is obviously something more than a watch.

As to the rest - well - I have no AAPL stock so I don't care what the stock analysts say, and Apple has always shown no regard for what the industry experts say....

But as usual, I think this is a well orchestrated Apple leaked PR campaign to get some buzz going. There may or may not be watch coming soon. They may just be feeling some sales slowdowns and wanted a little media love.
__________________
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton
snberk103 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:39 AM   #11
sdilley14
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by snberk103 View Post
It could be a cool product, eh? One of the clues that this is not a watch is that Apple is struggling with the prototypes to get the times between power charges up to, IIRC, something close to a week. A watch goes about year on a battery, so this is obviously something more than a watch.
I should clarify that I am using the term "watch" as a broad term. It's easier to say/type than "wrist device", "wearable notification system", etc. Of course I don't think they would put any time in developing some type of simple "watch". I know, if they are making this, it is going to be MUCH more than a watch.

I don't own any Apple stock either...but I still hate seeing them get beat up because they aren't releasing the products or hitting the (ridiculous) target numbers "analysts/experts" expect them to. But I do agree, they have never been the type of company to do things to quickly prop up their stock price or satisfy analysts, and I hope it will stay that way.
sdilley14 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:46 AM   #12
SpyderBite
macrumors 65816
 
SpyderBite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Xanadu
I've purchased 3 different BT watches for my iPhone in the past year via Kickstarter and I love the functionality they offer.

If I wasn't concerned about pulling my phone out to check for an email, text or call I was expecting in the middle of a meeting, date, or any other awkward situation; then I would also feel like most of you about connected watches.

However, it has been a much better experience when I look at my watch for an incoming call or text instead of yanking my iPhone out of my pocket during many conversations.
__________________
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock
SpyderBite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:48 AM   #13
NT1440
macrumors G3
 
NT1440's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hartford, CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdilley14 View Post
My fear is that they will come out with this, it won't be an Earth shattering product like "experts/analysts/industry insiders" expect, and the stock will take a hit as a result.
That's been the reaction on Wall Street after the introduction of every apple product from the iphone, to the ipod touch, to the ipad. Analysts don't know **** about what will be a big hit.
NT1440 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 11:06 AM   #14
Tomorrow
macrumors 603
 
Tomorrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Always a day away
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdilley14 View Post
I can see them making a pretty great little product like this...but still getting clobbered by industry "experts" and stock analysts because they gave us a "watch" instead of a TV. They gave us an evolution of an existing device rather than an entirely new, "un thought of" device all together.
I completely disagree.

First off, I use my watch a LOT more than I use my TV. I wear it daily and check the time several times a day. I don't use my TV every day.

Secondly, aside from its ability to display the time (which is by far its simplest rumored function), it IS an entirely new, "un-thought of device all together." I don't know about anyone else here, but the only function my watch serves (other than being ornamental) is to display the time. The rumored iWatch seems to go so far beyond that it's not even in the same category anymore.

I think snberk103 has it right; people are going to want this, not because it's a watch but because it's a notification device (and possibly more). I wasn't impressed with Apple TV (because it couldn't record TV programs) or the iPad (because of its locked-down nature with regard to software) when they came out, but in time I decided to give them a try, and I'm glad I did.
__________________
I would scream just to be heard, as if yelling at the stars - I was bleeding just to feel.
You would never say a word, kept me reaching in the dark - always something to conceal.
Tomorrow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 11:25 AM   #15
sdilley14
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomorrow View Post
I completely disagree.

First off, I use my watch a LOT more than I use my TV. I wear it daily and check the time several times a day. I don't use my TV every day.

Secondly, aside from its ability to display the time (which is by far its simplest rumored function), it IS an entirely new, "un-thought of device all together." I don't know about anyone else here, but the only function my watch serves (other than being ornamental) is to display the time. The rumored iWatch seems to go so far beyond that it's not even in the same category anymore.

I think snberk103 has it right; people are going to want this, not because it's a watch but because it's a notification device (and possibly more). I wasn't impressed with Apple TV (because it couldn't record TV programs) or the iPad (because of its locked-down nature with regard to software) when they came out, but in time I decided to give them a try, and I'm glad I did.
I used the TV as an example because of all the hype the (possible) upcoming Apple TV has garnered. The Apple TV is widely expected to be Apple's "next big hit", and I feel that if they come out with ANY other "new" product before the Apple TV, it is going to be looked at as a let down because everyone has been anticipating a new Apple TV so much. I didn't mean to literally compare an Apple TV and a watch/wearable device when I made that last statement.

I think there are people that will want whatever this new device is going to be...but I think it is going to be much more of a niche market than other more recent Apple products. I can see 65 year old people using an iPhone, an iPad, an Apple TV, etc...but I have a hard time seeing them using a wearable notification device. I don't see the mass appeal in it. Not that I particularly care...I'm a gadget nerd and I would likely scoop up this new Apple wrist device in a heartbeat.
sdilley14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 01:48 PM   #16
Tomorrow
macrumors 603
 
Tomorrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Always a day away
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdilley14 View Post
I used the TV as an example because of all the hype the (possible) upcoming Apple TV has garnered. The Apple TV is widely expected to be Apple's "next big hit", and I feel that if they come out with ANY other "new" product before the Apple TV, it is going to be looked at as a let down because everyone has been anticipating a new Apple TV so much. I didn't mean to literally compare an Apple TV and a watch/wearable device when I made that last statement.
You completely missed my point. My point is that not "everyone has been anticipating a new Apple TV so much." My point is that there are many people who would be much more impacted by the introduction of an iWatch. Someone who doesn't watch a lot of TV isn't going to be inclined to drop a lot of cash on a new one just because it has some new features their current TV doesn't; that, to me, was the point of an Apple TV; to add that functionality without having to replace my TV.

(See what I just did there? You probably disagree completely with my statements above; but then, you're someone who stands to benefit more from the introduction of a new TV product than the introduction of a new watch product. But not everyone fits so neatly into the same box, you see.)

Quote:
I think there are people that will want whatever this new device is going to be...but I think it is going to be much more of a niche market than other more recent Apple products. I can see 65 year old people using an iPhone, an iPad, an Apple TV, etc...but I have a hard time seeing them using a wearable notification device. I don't see the mass appeal in it.
Just as I don't see the mass appeal of a new TV set. A few months ago I dropped $600 on a new TV; I'm not about to buy a new one, especially one made by Apple (whose monitors can push a thousand dollars, with no connectivity or internal functions at all), when I don't need one. But replacing my watch for, say, $200 or so? Much easier to swallow that pill, IMO.

Again, my comparison of the two products is not that they're competing with each other for buyers, but that they'll appeal to different buyers. Just because you fall into one camp doesn't invalidate the other camp.
__________________
I would scream just to be heard, as if yelling at the stars - I was bleeding just to feel.
You would never say a word, kept me reaching in the dark - always something to conceal.
Tomorrow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 02:36 PM   #17
sdilley14
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomorrow View Post
You completely missed my point. My point is that not "everyone has been anticipating a new Apple TV so much." My point is that there are many people who would be much more impacted by the introduction of an iWatch. Someone who doesn't watch a lot of TV isn't going to be inclined to drop a lot of cash on a new one just because it has some new features their current TV doesn't; that, to me, was the point of an Apple TV; to add that functionality without having to replace my TV.

(See what I just did there? You probably disagree completely with my statements above; but then, you're someone who stands to benefit more from the introduction of a new TV product than the introduction of a new watch product. But not everyone fits so neatly into the same box, you see.)



Just as I don't see the mass appeal of a new TV set. A few months ago I dropped $600 on a new TV; I'm not about to buy a new one, especially one made by Apple (whose monitors can push a thousand dollars, with no connectivity or internal functions at all), when I don't need one. But replacing my watch for, say, $200 or so? Much easier to swallow that pill, IMO.

Again, my comparison of the two products is not that they're competing with each other for buyers, but that they'll appeal to different buyers. Just because you fall into one camp doesn't invalidate the other camp.
I can see your point there. They are two different target audiences, more or less. I don't know that there are more people who would be impacted by a new watch device as opposed to more people being impacted by an Apple TV, or vice versa, but I understand what you're getting at.

Last edited by sdilley14; Mar 5, 2013 at 02:47 PM.
sdilley14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone: Help me understand the error "The iPhone is synced with another iTunes library". vols iOS 7 5 Jan 31, 2014 01:01 PM
Apple registers trademark "iWatch" in Russia kot Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion 2 Jun 5, 2013 09:20 PM
iOS/connectivity problems saved into backups? Trying to understand "restore" chishifu iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 2 Mar 6, 2013 12:52 PM
My iMac G4 and "iWatch" Jessica Lares Design and Graphics 2 Feb 13, 2013 08:04 PM
Unable to understand behavior of "significant-change location service" Narendar Singh iPhone/iPad Programming 3 Aug 8, 2012 03:52 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:03 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC