Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Photoshopper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
Idaho
Why is it that an iMovie slideshow looks/sounds great when played back on my computer, but looks like c**p when played back on a disc authored with iDVD (both on the computer and HD tv)?

The resolution is terrible and even the sound is worse. Given that the file size goes from 800MB in a QT.mov to around 300MB in the .proj and .img files, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

What's the alternative? I'll be getting FCPX-- If I recreate projects with that, and burn it as 720p or as BD, will I be assured of seeing the original high quality?
Also, if I streamed my current QT.mov projects through an ATV, would the quality be preserved? I just want to be able to share these things and not have them look like garbage, when they didn't start out that way.

Thanks!

floh

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2011
Stuttgart, Germany
I'm sorry to tell you that there is probably no suitable alternative if you want to burn a DVD. The resolution (720x576 pixels) and compression (MPEG-2) of a DVD is pretty outdated and not made for high resolution pictures.

If you really start burning BluRays at 1080p (or even at 720p already), things will improve automatically.

The sound being not the greatest is probably fixable though. The conversion inside of iDVD is weak to say the least. If you want good quality pictures and audio, I would recommend getting Apples "Compressor" from the App Store, which is not very expensive ($50) and provides significantly better quality.

Still, be aware that even with Compressor, your images will suffer a big deal when sampled down to DVD resolution. DVDs were not invented for slideshows but for fast moving pictures on a TV with a 15 inch CRT screen back in the days... Now we have to suffer for it. ;)

Photoshopper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
Idaho
OK, that makes sense, and something I should have known. I didn't know Compressor could be used outside of Final Cut, but I'll be getting the suite anyways. Time to upgrade my software.

Thanks a lot, floh!

floh

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2011
Stuttgart, Germany
No problem.

I actually think that if you get Motion and Compressor (both can be used without FCPX) and still stick to iMovie, you get a pretty impressive suite for video production already. FCPX can then be upgraded to later. The times of the "all or nothing for $1000" bundle are over. ;)

Cheers and have fun learning the new software,

Floh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.