Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:05 AM   #1
FatPuppy
macrumors 65816

will ipad 3 update to ios 7 when it will be out

I just bought an ipad 3 and my main concern is that the ipad won't get the ios 7 update cause apple already descontinued,what do you think?
FatPuppy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:06 AM   #2
jsw
Moderator emeritus

Yes, it will get the update. Guaranteed.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:34 AM   #3
nepalisherpa
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrares1996 View Post
I just bought an ipad 3 and my main concern is that the ipad won't get the ios 7 update cause apple already descontinued,what do you think?
Why are you concerned about the future when the present is working for you? Even if iOS7 is released for the current iPads, it won't have all the features anyway.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:36 AM   #4
cyks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepalisherpa View Post
Why are you concerned about the future when the present is working for you? Even if iOS7 is released for the current iPads, it won't have all the features anyway.
How many features of iOS 6 is the 4S missing?
cyks is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:38 AM   #5
FlatlinerG
macrumors 6502a

Just because they don't sell the 3rd gen iPad anymore, doesn't mean they are getting rid of it completely...
...and many more.
FlatlinerG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:39 AM   #6
pommie82
macrumors regular

i cannot see why not it wouldn't get the update just because they have stopped selling doesn't mean they wont stop supporting it straight away i should of thought that you would get a couple of operating systems out of your iPad 3 before its not supported just like they have done with iPad 1 you were able to get OS4 & OS5 on your iPad 1 before it was stopped been supported.So you should be able to get the same.
pommie82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:41 AM   #7
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyks View Post
I believe only one: taking still photos while shooting a video. I could be wrong, though.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:43 AM   #8
nepalisherpa
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Do you know what iOS7 will have? Maybe it will have features that won't be supported by older devices. You can't go by the current situation.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:44 AM   #9
cyks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Do you know what iOS7 will have? Maybe it will have features that won't be supported by older devices. You can't go by the current situation.
...and for those same reasons, you can't assume that it will be lacking features.

Yes, the iPad 3 will support iOS 7, we just don't know to what extent.
cyks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:48 AM   #10
jsw
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Given that the iPad 3 and iPad 4 are essentially identical aside from CPU, and given that the CPU on the iPad 3 is equivalent to that on the iPhone 5, and given that the iPhone 5 and iPad 4 will be the latest products of their respective lines when iOS 7 comes out, it seems extremely unlikely that major elements will be missing.

iOS8? Sure, because the iPhone 6 and iPad 5 (or whatever) will be out before then.

But for iOS7, it seems very unlikely that major features won't be supported, unless they have the iPhone 6 and the iPad 5 ready for the iOS 7 launch.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:56 AM   #11
nepalisherpa
macrumors 68000

Quote:
...and for those same reasons, you can't assume that it will be lacking features.

Yes, the iPad 3 will support iOS 7, we just don't know to what extent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsw View Post
Given that the iPad 3 and iPad 4 are essentially identical aside from CPU, and given that the CPU on the iPad 3 is equivalent to that on the iPhone 5, and given that the iPhone 5 and iPad 4 will be the latest products of their respective lines when iOS 7 comes out, it seems extremely unlikely that major elements will be missing.

iOS8? Sure, because the iPhone 6 and iPad 5 (or whatever) will be out before then.

But for iOS7, it seems very unlikely that major features won't be supported, unless they have the iPhone 6 and the iPad 5 ready for the iOS 7 launch.
True. I should have mentioned both sides.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:36 AM   #12
wenghan1992
macrumors newbie

Quote:

iPad 3 have an A5X processor which in geekbench score similar to A5 in iPhone 4S because of its 2048-by-1536 resolution retina display. iPhone 5 score double in geekbench compare to iPad 3 because of its A6 chip which score similar to iPad 4's A6X.
wenghan1992 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:50 AM   #13
jsw
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wenghan1992 View Post
iPad 3 have an A5X processor which in geekbench score similar to A5 in iPhone 4S because of its 2048-by-1536 resolution retina display. iPhone 5 score double in geekbench compare to iPad 3 because of its A6 chip which score similar to iPad 4's A6X.
True... but the iPad Mini argues for support of the iPad 3 (and 2) and iPhone 4S as well, since it would be surprising for Apple to not support hardware in the first OS upgrade since that hardware was announced.

I'm not saying there won't be some features not accessible to the iPad 3, but I can't believe there'd be anything significant.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:09 AM   #14
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrares1996 View Post
No telling at this point but probably yes. Why would you think that it wouldn't? If you want an idea then look at the list of devices currently supported and devices not supported by IOS6 and draw your own conclusions.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:15 AM   #15
aziatiklover
macrumors 68020

iOS 7 and behond for sure!
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:52 AM   #16
viperGTS
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
and given that the CPU on the iPad 3 is equivalent to that on the iPhone 5...
Um, no it's not. The A6 is almost 3x faster (according to geek bench scores) than any A5/A5X device.
viperGTS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:57 AM   #17
FSMBP
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatlinerG View Post
Just because they don't sell the 3rd gen iPad anymore, doesn't mean they are getting rid of it completely...
100% certain the iPad 3 will get iOS 7, but your same logic was the exact one mentioned by everyone on this board on why the iPad 1 didn't get iOS 6 (ex "Because they don't sell it anymore".)
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:19 AM   #18
OZPINHEAD
Banned

Quote:
None that I can think of. However I still don't understand why the ipad mini can have Siri but the ipad 2 can't. Other than, getting one to upgrade, except its not really.
OZPINHEAD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:27 AM   #19
AlanFord
macrumors regular

For shure it will.
Even iOS 8, only question is what new features will be missing.
Think iOS 7 could be fully supported, since new mini is on A5 chip as well. At least it should be.
AlanFord is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:45 AM   #20
jsw
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperGTS View Post
Um, no it's not. The A6 is almost 3x faster (according to geek bench scores) than any A5/A5X device.
Let me rephrase: "and given that the CPU on the iPad 3 is better than that on the new iPad Mini...."
Old Nov 5, 2012, 02:53 PM   #21
teknikal90
macrumors 68000

Quote:
True... but the iPad Mini argues for support of the iPad 3 (and 2) and iPhone 4S as well, since it would be surprising for Apple to not support hardware in the first OS upgrade since that hardware was announced.

I'm not saying there won't be some features not accessible to the iPad 3, but I can't believe there'd be anything significant.
not true, by this reasoning the ipad 2 should have gotten Siri with iOS 6.
Furthermore the iPad 1 should have supported iOS 6, since the 3GS did. I think that the support for new OS is contingent upon how long ago was the device discontinued. the iPad 3 is discontinued - no longer for sale. The support of such devices wont last long - historically anyway.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 02:59 PM   #22
FatPuppy
macrumors 65816

Ok,so I am starting to freak out when I read the last comment,so what you say is that ipad 3 is descontinued and ios 6 is the last update.ok,now I feel aloooot better
FatPuppy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 06:50 PM   #23
bushido
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknikal90 View Post
not true, by this reasoning the ipad 2 should have gotten Siri with iOS 6.
Furthermore the iPad 1 should have supported iOS 6, since the 3GS did. I think that the support for new OS is contingent upon how long ago was the device discontinued. the iPad 3 is discontinued - no longer for sale. The support of such devices wont last long - historically anyway.
the iPad 1 could barely handle iOS5 though.

the iPad Mini however lacks behind the iPad 3 and given that the iPad Mini is still new, id say its a save bet that iPad 3 will handle iOS 7 just fine

iPad Mini - A5 + 512 mb ram
iPad 3 - A5x + 1 GB ram
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:57 PM   #24
mattroman246
macrumors 6502

I almost guarantee it will be supported!
Game Center ID: matthewdanger
mattroman246 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7