Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:05 AM   #1
FatPuppy
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
will ipad 3 update to ios 7 when it will be out

I just bought an ipad 3 and my main concern is that the ipad won't get the ios 7 update cause apple already descontinued,what do you think?
FatPuppy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:06 AM   #2
jsw
Moderator emeritus
 
jsw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Andover, MA
Yes, it will get the update. Guaranteed.
__________________
You'll be the one moaning for me to give you some. - THC(taken out of context)
jsw is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:34 AM   #3
nepalisherpa
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrares1996 View Post
I just bought an ipad 3 and my main concern is that the ipad won't get the ios 7 update cause apple already descontinued,what do you think?
Why are you concerned about the future when the present is working for you? Even if iOS7 is released for the current iPads, it won't have all the features anyway.
__________________
Macbook Air 11" 2013/i7/8GB RAM/250GB SSD
iPhone 6+ 64GB Space Gray
nepalisherpa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:36 AM   #4
cyks
macrumors 68020
 
cyks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Westchester County, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by nepalisherpa View Post
Why are you concerned about the future when the present is working for you? Even if iOS7 is released for the current iPads, it won't have all the features anyway.
How many features of iOS 6 is the 4S missing?
cyks is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:38 AM   #5
FlatlinerG
macrumors 6502a
 
FlatlinerG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Prince Edward Island, Canada
Just because they don't sell the 3rd gen iPad anymore, doesn't mean they are getting rid of it completely...
__________________
Late 2011 MBP 13"
2TB Time Capsule, 2nd Gen AppleTV
16GB Black iPhone 5, 32GB Black iPad 2
...and many more.
FlatlinerG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:39 AM   #6
pommie82
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: uk
i cannot see why not it wouldn't get the update just because they have stopped selling doesn't mean they wont stop supporting it straight away i should of thought that you would get a couple of operating systems out of your iPad 3 before its not supported just like they have done with iPad 1 you were able to get OS4 & OS5 on your iPad 1 before it was stopped been supported.So you should be able to get the same.
pommie82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:41 AM   #7
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000
 
r2shyyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Paris, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyks View Post
How many features of iOS 6 is the 4S missing?
I believe only one: taking still photos while shooting a video. I could be wrong, though.
__________________
"kkkkkkkk ....ok" - iphone4s16gb
r2shyyou is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:43 AM   #8
nepalisherpa
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyks View Post
How many features of iOS 6 is the 4S missing?
Do you know what iOS7 will have? Maybe it will have features that won't be supported by older devices. You can't go by the current situation.
__________________
Macbook Air 11" 2013/i7/8GB RAM/250GB SSD
iPhone 6+ 64GB Space Gray
nepalisherpa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:44 AM   #9
cyks
macrumors 68020
 
cyks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Westchester County, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by nepalisherpa View Post
Do you know what iOS7 will have? Maybe it will have features that won't be supported by older devices. You can't go by the current situation.
...and for those same reasons, you can't assume that it will be lacking features.

Yes, the iPad 3 will support iOS 7, we just don't know to what extent.
cyks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:48 AM   #10
jsw
Moderator emeritus
 
jsw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Andover, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by nepalisherpa View Post
Do you know what iOS7 will have? Maybe it will have features that won't be supported by older devices. You can't go by the current situation.
Given that the iPad 3 and iPad 4 are essentially identical aside from CPU, and given that the CPU on the iPad 3 is equivalent to that on the iPhone 5, and given that the iPhone 5 and iPad 4 will be the latest products of their respective lines when iOS 7 comes out, it seems extremely unlikely that major elements will be missing.

iOS8? Sure, because the iPhone 6 and iPad 5 (or whatever) will be out before then.

But for iOS7, it seems very unlikely that major features won't be supported, unless they have the iPhone 6 and the iPad 5 ready for the iOS 7 launch.
__________________
You'll be the one moaning for me to give you some. - THC(taken out of context)
jsw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:56 AM   #11
nepalisherpa
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyks View Post
...and for those same reasons, you can't assume that it will be lacking features.

Yes, the iPad 3 will support iOS 7, we just don't know to what extent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsw View Post
Given that the iPad 3 and iPad 4 are essentially identical aside from CPU, and given that the CPU on the iPad 3 is equivalent to that on the iPhone 5, and given that the iPhone 5 and iPad 4 will be the latest products of their respective lines when iOS 7 comes out, it seems extremely unlikely that major elements will be missing.

iOS8? Sure, because the iPhone 6 and iPad 5 (or whatever) will be out before then.

But for iOS7, it seems very unlikely that major features won't be supported, unless they have the iPhone 6 and the iPad 5 ready for the iOS 7 launch.
True. I should have mentioned both sides.
__________________
Macbook Air 11" 2013/i7/8GB RAM/250GB SSD
iPhone 6+ 64GB Space Gray
nepalisherpa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:36 AM   #12
wenghan1992
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsw View Post
Given that the iPad 3 and iPad 4 are essentially identical aside from CPU, and given that the CPU on the iPad 3 is equivalent to that on the iPhone 5, and given that the iPhone 5 and iPad 4 will be the latest products of their respective lines when iOS 7 comes out, it seems extremely unlikely that major elements will be missing.

iOS8? Sure, because the iPhone 6 and iPad 5 (or whatever) will be out before then.

But for iOS7, it seems very unlikely that major features won't be supported, unless they have the iPhone 6 and the iPad 5 ready for the iOS 7 launch.
iPad 3 have an A5X processor which in geekbench score similar to A5 in iPhone 4S because of its 2048-by-1536 resolution retina display. iPhone 5 score double in geekbench compare to iPad 3 because of its A6 chip which score similar to iPad 4's A6X.
wenghan1992 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:50 AM   #13
jsw
Moderator emeritus
 
jsw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Andover, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wenghan1992 View Post
iPad 3 have an A5X processor which in geekbench score similar to A5 in iPhone 4S because of its 2048-by-1536 resolution retina display. iPhone 5 score double in geekbench compare to iPad 3 because of its A6 chip which score similar to iPad 4's A6X.
True... but the iPad Mini argues for support of the iPad 3 (and 2) and iPhone 4S as well, since it would be surprising for Apple to not support hardware in the first OS upgrade since that hardware was announced.

I'm not saying there won't be some features not accessible to the iPad 3, but I can't believe there'd be anything significant.
__________________
You'll be the one moaning for me to give you some. - THC(taken out of context)
jsw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:09 AM   #14
takeshi74
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrares1996 View Post
I just bought an ipad 3 and my main concern is that the ipad won't get the ios 7 update cause apple already descontinued,what do you think?
No telling at this point but probably yes. Why would you think that it wouldn't? If you want an idea then look at the list of devices currently supported and devices not supported by IOS6 and draw your own conclusions.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:15 AM   #15
aziatiklover
macrumors 68020
 
aziatiklover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
iOS 7 and behond for sure!
__________________
ppleholic
aziatiklover is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:52 AM   #16
viperGTS
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsw View Post
and given that the CPU on the iPad 3 is equivalent to that on the iPhone 5...
Um, no it's not. The A6 is almost 3x faster (according to geek bench scores) than any A5/A5X device.
viperGTS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:57 AM   #17
FSMBP
macrumors 68020
 
FSMBP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatlinerG View Post
Just because they don't sell the 3rd gen iPad anymore, doesn't mean they are getting rid of it completely...
100% certain the iPad 3 will get iOS 7, but your same logic was the exact one mentioned by everyone on this board on why the iPad 1 didn't get iOS 6 (ex "Because they don't sell it anymore".)
__________________
Still don't get why I can't save a Word File from an email on my iPhone without some third-party app.
FSMBP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:19 AM   #18
OZPINHEAD
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Emerald City
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyks View Post
How many features of iOS 6 is the 4S missing?
None that I can think of. However I still don't understand why the ipad mini can have Siri but the ipad 2 can't. Other than, getting one to upgrade, except its not really.
OZPINHEAD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:27 AM   #19
AlanFord
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cro
For shure it will.
Even iOS 8, only question is what new features will be missing.
Think iOS 7 could be fully supported, since new mini is on A5 chip as well. At least it should be.
AlanFord is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:45 AM   #20
jsw
Moderator emeritus
 
jsw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Andover, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by viperGTS View Post
Um, no it's not. The A6 is almost 3x faster (according to geek bench scores) than any A5/A5X device.
Let me rephrase: "and given that the CPU on the iPad 3 is better than that on the new iPad Mini...."
__________________
You'll be the one moaning for me to give you some. - THC(taken out of context)
jsw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 02:53 PM   #21
teknikal90
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsw View Post
True... but the iPad Mini argues for support of the iPad 3 (and 2) and iPhone 4S as well, since it would be surprising for Apple to not support hardware in the first OS upgrade since that hardware was announced.

I'm not saying there won't be some features not accessible to the iPad 3, but I can't believe there'd be anything significant.
not true, by this reasoning the ipad 2 should have gotten Siri with iOS 6.
Furthermore the iPad 1 should have supported iOS 6, since the 3GS did. I think that the support for new OS is contingent upon how long ago was the device discontinued. the iPad 3 is discontinued - no longer for sale. The support of such devices wont last long - historically anyway.
__________________
Logic Pro and Mainstage 3 User. I use iOS a lot.
teknikal90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 02:59 PM   #22
FatPuppy
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Ok,so I am starting to freak out when I read the last comment,so what you say is that ipad 3 is descontinued and ios 6 is the last update.ok,now I feel aloooot better
FatPuppy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 06:50 PM   #23
bushido
macrumors 603
 
bushido's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: España y Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by teknikal90 View Post
not true, by this reasoning the ipad 2 should have gotten Siri with iOS 6.
Furthermore the iPad 1 should have supported iOS 6, since the 3GS did. I think that the support for new OS is contingent upon how long ago was the device discontinued. the iPad 3 is discontinued - no longer for sale. The support of such devices wont last long - historically anyway.
the iPad 1 could barely handle iOS5 though.

the iPad Mini however lacks behind the iPad 3 and given that the iPad Mini is still new, id say its a save bet that iPad 3 will handle iOS 7 just fine

iPad Mini - A5 + 512 mb ram
iPad 3 - A5x + 1 GB ram
__________________
¡No hables a menos que puedas mejorar el silencio!
Don't judge me by my user name - I was young and stupid xD
bushido is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:57 PM   #24
mattroman246
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Upstate NY
I almost guarantee it will be supported!
__________________
13" Macbook Pro, 2.3 GHZ i5, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD
16 GB Space Grey iPhone 6
64 GB iPad Air 2 WiFi
Game Center ID: matthewdanger
mattroman246 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gmail for iOS Gets iOS 7 Update, New Features for iPad MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 25 Nov 16, 2013 11:31 PM
Possible iPad only iOS update today? SakuraSuki iOS 7 1 Oct 22, 2013 09:13 AM
iPad: Update iPad 2 from iOS 5 to iOS 6 (want to avoid iOS 7) atb112 iPad 7 Oct 19, 2013 12:13 PM
Update iPad 3 to iOS 6.1.3? Sparky2012 iOS 6 12 May 22, 2013 01:14 PM
iPhone: I have a 5.1.1 JB iPad, should i update to IOS 6.1 ipos Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 1 Jan 28, 2013 05:03 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:22 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC