Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eleven7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
Japan
Anyone else noticed really high cpu usage from Safari when browsing Facebook recently?

For the past week or so, when on Facebook, I've noticed Safari spikes to 95-100% cpu usage. Not all the time, but quite often. As soon as I leave Facebook cpu usage drops back down to normal.

Anyone else?

eleven7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
Japan
As far as I can tell, it's not flash related i.e - I don't play games or use any apps. It's pretty random too. Sometimes happens browsing through photo albums, viewing the news feed etc. Other times it'll happen just when FB is open in tab in the background??

eleven7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
Japan
OK, so it's not as random as I thought. It happens every time I browse through a photo album quickly??

It's not like it's slowing things down, it just seems strange that Safari needs to run at 95% to browse through images.

Is this not happening to anyone else?

Mark Petereit

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2012
I know this is an old thread, but I was experiencing the same problem today. I finally tracked the issue down to a Safari extension -- Facebook Purity. As soon as I uninstalled it, CPU use on Safari+Facebook dropped down to less than 10%.

I'm sure I was using an older version of FB Purity and that newer versions have most likely fixed this issue.

But I would say if your CPU gets pegged only when you visit a particular site, try disabling your Safari extensions one-by-one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.