Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Catalystgrrl

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2013
If it ain't broke

I bought the original iPhone the day it came out. It was upwards of $600. Guess what? I'm still using it. It's 2013 and there's not a damn scratch on it.

It's unlocked and I only pay $40/month for the entire unlimited data plan. Honestly, except for the few apps that are 4.0+, everything runs great.

I'm not a luddite, I have a brand new macbook pro, but I don't see any need to spend hundreds of more dollars for some features I really don't need anyway.

I think the people on here with egos about it really need to take a closer look at themselves.

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
I bought the original iPhone the day it came out. It was upwards of $600. Guess what? I'm still using it. It's 2013 and there's not a damn scratch on it.

It's unlocked and I only pay $40/month for the entire unlimited data plan. Honestly, except for the few apps that are 4.0+, everything runs great.

I'm not a luddite, I have a brand new macbook pro, but I don't see any need to spend hundreds of more dollars for some features I really don't need anyway.

I think the people on here with egos about it really need to take a closer look at themselves.
Indeed so nice to see there are people like you out there. All the best!

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008

Agreed, I've used mine recently and the only things I really missed were capacity (8GB model doesn't accommodate 60GB of music well) and 3G speed. People are generally too concerned with what's new rather than what works, the tech in my house spans 10 years with all of it being used on a fairly regular basis.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Simple. New ones don't justify the additional cost. I looked into it, many times. To get a similar plan for the iPhone4, it would cost me ~ $90 per month after taxes. That is $1080/year.

Now my original iPhone, which does everything I want it to (weather, maps, camera, photos, email, facebook, WRC app, ebay, craigslist, shazam, etc), but only costs ~$60 month to use. $720/year.

That's an extra $360 in my pocket, per year. That can buy a set of nice race tires, decent tool chest, etc. And it adds up. If I had upgraded to a 3GS in 2009 I'd have paid an extra $720 just to have slightly faster speeds, a higher res screen, and a better camera. No offense to newer users, but I haven't been impressed with the speeds it takes to download things, it still seems slow so I don't care if I wait a few more seconds if it already takes a few to begin with.

This.

As someone who kep his original 16GB 2G I can honestly say there are times that my 3GS/4/4S and now 5 feel "wasteful". The 2G is my favorite phone of all time (tied with the v3i razr... which is still an downright awesome phone even if it's a lame at being a computer).

If my budget was tight I would have no issue at all just using a pre-paid 2G, although I would probably swing for at least a 3GS if it was going to be my daily driver.

Good for all of you folks that choose to stick with what works. As long as it works for you that's all that matters.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
3 year old thread....

I'll play though. There is nothing wrong with using what works for you. I'm going to be keeping my current phone until it is no longer useable. I don't look down on anyone who uses older tech. If anything, I admire them. Use work works for you. If that means use a 5 year old phone then so be it.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
like this? :D

Attachments

• IMG_4278.jpg
    IMG_4278.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 123
  • IMG_4277.jpg
    IMG_4277.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 127

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012

Wow, nice to see people still using the 2G. What 3rd-party apps do you still have?

like this? :D

Oh, now you're just showing off... :D

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012

Whats the point of unlimited data when you only have EDGE? Thats like having unlimited data on a dialup connection.

R.Stoychev

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2012
Why to buy new iphone when you don't need the new functions. That's why there are people that are still using their 2g's :D .

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Whats the point of unlimited data when you only have EDGE? Thats like having unlimited data on a dialup connection.

Haha true. For unlimited Edge data they could just go to T-Mobile and get the $50 prepaid plan. The Edge data is unlimited on that plan.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza

Hahaha wow, ignorance. EDGE is slow yes, but it has a maximum of 256Kb/s theoretical. In real world on AT&Ts (now much deserted) 2G network, you can easily achieve half that at minimum. Now, then, on the throttled 3G unlimited plans, AT&T places you on a speed tier much slower than 256Kb/s, I measured it... AT&T throttles you down to 128Kb/s. Now, EDGE gives you that at minimum, but generally you look at more.

Hence, EDGE is still relevant if you have it. Also, don't laugh at it. I brought up the whole 3G throttling issue because even though you get throttled, you can still do several things. Yes, viewing a Youtube video might be harder. But all the basics (like web pages, emails, facebook, tweeting and simple iMessage) all still work on EDGE. The only true issue is not being able to Call + Data.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Isn't AT&T shutting down its EDGE service soon? Would users of the original iPhone be confined to just WiFi?

Yes, its starting doing that sometime in 2015/14 timeline... that new reallocated spectrum is going to LTE services (current 3G frequency allocation will stay).

By January 2017 all 2G services will be shut down.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Yes, its starting doing that sometime in 2015/14 timeline... that new reallocated spectrum is going to LTE services (current 3G frequency allocation will stay).

By January 2017 all 2G services will be shut down.

That's a long time.

If anyone is still using the iPhone 2G in 2017, he would have been using that phone for 10 years!! :eek:

Ste Nova

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2012
LL22, UK
That's a long time.

If anyone is still using the iPhone 2G in 2017, he would have been using that phone for 10 years!! :eek:

i was still using my 10 year old nokia 8310 when i upgraded to ip4 :)
my work nokia 6230i is 8 this year,

both are/were still on orignal battery!

SONiC5

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
U.S.

I have a 4S with unlimited 3G on Sprint and it's comparable to EDGE. It's annoyingly slow but it's useable for most tasks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.