Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AMWL

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
I have been on Apple/Support/Communities and was redirected here with my Address Book issue which we have determined was created when I upgraded to Lion. Here's where we are at . . .
Initial question . . . I have a MacBook with Lion and cannot edit, search, or add to my Address Book within my Address Book. Help!
MacBook (13-inch Early 2008), Mac OS X (10.7.4)
Reply . . . Try using Disk Utility to do a Disk Repair, as shown in this link, while booted up on your install disk for OS 10.6.8 and under. If you are running 10.7 or 10.8 run Disk Repair from Disk Utility on your Recovery System. It shows you how in the link.
You could have some directory corruption. Let us know what errors Disk Repair reports and if DU was able to repair them. This could just be a start in repairs and you may need a better utility to finish the job.
Response to instructions . . . Thanks for the info, but the link took me to . . .
Resolve startup issues and perform disk maintenance with Disk Utility and fsck
Products Affected
Mac OS X 10.1, Mac OS X 10.2, Mac OS X 10.3, Mac OS X 10.4, Mac OS X 10.5, Mac OS X 10.6,OS X Lion, OS X Mountain Lion
So I clicked on OS X Lion and it took me to . . . Apple/support/lion.
Do I click on Installation and Recovery from there?
More instructions . . . No...you navigate around the disk maintenance stuff in my link. I'll put it together for you here.
Start from your recovery system. OS X Lion or OS X Mountain Lion includes a built in set of utilities in the Recovery System. Restart your Mac and hold down the Command key and the R key (Command-R), and keep holding them until the Apple icon appears, indicating that your Mac is starting up. After the Recovery System is finished starting up, you should see a desktop with a OS X menu bar and a "Mac OS X Utilities" application window. Note: If you see a login window or your own desktop and icons, it is possible that you didn't hold Command-R early enough. Restart and try again.
When your computer finishes starting up, choose Disk Utility from the Utilities window.
Click the First Aid tab. Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions. Select your OS X volume. Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.
My response . . . All went well until Disk Utility opened and there was no First Aid Tab to click on.
What I did find (on the left) was the following . . .
250.06 GB Hitachi HTS. . . Media
when I clicked on this, the First Aid tab appeared and repair was possible
MacIntosh HD
when I clicked on this, the First Aid tab appeared and repair was possible
Super Drive
when I clicked on this, no First Aid tab appeared
Below the line appeared . . .
Disk
when I clicked on this, the First Aid tab appeared but Repair was grayed out
Mac OS X Base System
when I clicked on this, the First Aid tab appeared but Repair was grayed out
There was no disclosure triangle to the left of the harddrive icon so I could not proceed as you suggested.
The final answer . . . Do you have a backup?
My final response . . . Yes, all my files are also on my external hard drive. Should I also do a backup on the computer of my Address Book, etc? How do I do that - did it once but the info has run out my ear!

Sorry this is so long. As you can see nothing has been resolved! Help!
AMWL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.