Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlphaVictor87

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2011
Saint Louis, MO
(if this needs to be in the iPhone forum then please move it, thanks)

Ever since the iOS 6.0.1 update my 4s has really having problems differentiating between a single vs a double click. This happens on a daily basis but i can't exactly re-create it.

I know with how fast paced everyone is going sometimes that you can sometimes double click the home button when you mean to single click, and vice versa but i've been keeping track of when this happens and make sure i'm not rushing through anything.

Basically i get situations where i want to open the multi tasking bar while inside an app, but it thinks i single clicked and goes to the home screen. Or i'm in an app and wanted to close it and it instead acts like i double clicked and opens up the multi tasking tray.

My "favorite" is when i single click to get out of an app and it acts like i did two slow single clicks so i end up on the spotlight search page.

I just took a second and tested out some situations and one just happened where i very distinctly hit the home button twice (heard and felt two clicks) on the home page to open up multi task tray and instead it just acted like a single click and went to the spotlight search page.

I'm really hoping others have experienced this, otherwise i can see a lot of "user error" posts coming.

If not any suggestions? And yes i've re-started it... many times.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
(if this needs to be in the iPhone forum then please move it, thanks)

Ever since the iOS 6.0.1 update my 4s has really having problems differentiating between a single vs a double click. This happens on a daily basis but i can't exactly re-create it.

I know with how fast paced everyone is going sometimes that you can sometimes double click the home button when you mean to single click, and vice versa but i've been keeping track of when this happens and make sure i'm not rushing through anything.

Basically i get situations where i want to open the multi tasking bar while inside an app, but it thinks i single clicked and goes to the home screen. Or i'm in an app and wanted to close it and it instead acts like i double clicked and opens up the multi tasking tray.

My "favorite" is when i single click to get out of an app and it acts like i did two slow single clicks so i end up on the spotlight search page.

I just took a second and tested out some situations and one just happened where i very distinctly hit the home button twice (heard and felt two clicks) on the home page to open up multi task tray and instead it just acted like a single click and went to the spotlight search page.

I'm really hoping others have experienced this, otherwise i can see a lot of "user error" posts coming.

If not any suggestions? And yes i've re-started it... many times.

Sounds more like a hardware problem. Doubt it has anything to do with 6.0.1 but who knows! You could always try a restore as a last resort.

AlphaVictor87

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2011
Saint Louis, MO
Although this might be more of a placebo effect type of thing, and YMMV, but you can try "recalibrating" your home button using the procedure described at http://snapguide.com/guides/calibrate-your-home-button/.

Ha yah i remember doing this on my 3GS. And i agree, not sure if its a placebo effect or what. Curious why it does quit out of the app you are in if you use that combination of buttons.

I tried it just for the hell of it. Guess i'll see what happens.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
This problem will affect iOS for as long as the home button is overloaded with so much that it lags.......single click, double click, triple click, long press, etc. It's a design flaw.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Ha yah i remember doing this on my 3GS. And i agree, not sure if its a placebo effect or what. Curious why it does quit out of the app you are in if you use that combination of buttons.

I tried it just for the hell of it. Guess i'll see what happens.
That's actually the method to force quit an application...it's just that some/most have observed that if you force quit a stock application (one that is included by Apple by default on the phone and can't be deleted) somehow it seems to make the home button (at least appear to be) somewhat more "snappier", for lack of a better word. ;-)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.