Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kingjereme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2012
I have a mid 2011 Mac Mini and I am running Final Cut 6.06 on it (actually the whole studio) About a month ago, I noticed that my exports, either 10 minutes long or 2 hours long, that the export would complete to a .mov file like requested, but the last like 20% would not be there. Completely self contained, complete video....with last 20% or so not part of it. Exporting using quicktime conversion seems to work completely, but batch export shows the same problem. There are no in and out points set. Plenty of HD space.

I could really use some ideas on this as I have many projects ready to export that I would do overnight, but batch export won't do them completely

Jereme

kingjereme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2012
Export via compressor

I will try exporting via compressor, however I have been told that FCP only takes advantage of 2 processor cores while compressor uses all available. I believe using FCP and compressor would still limit it to 2 cores

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
That's a really bizarre problem. What version of Quicktime are your running? You may also try removing Final Cut Studio completely (there's a tool for this) and reinstalling to see if the problem persists.

I will try exporting via compressor, however I have been told that FCP only takes advantage of 2 processor cores while compressor uses all available. I believe using FCP and compressor would still limit it to 2 cores

Classic FCP doesn't scale well across multiple processor cores because it's a 32-bit application.

But also understand that Compressor is also a 32-bit application. Compressor will not use all your CPU cores by default. You have to set up a virtual cluster in QMaster to do this. Essentially, QMaster tricks Compressor into running multiple instances of itself while processing a render job. There's a decent tutorial for this here.

And you'd also be correct in that Compressor won't go beyond a couple of cores if you send it a job directly from FCP (QMaster won't function that way).

Looks like a well documented issue for those affected. join the discussion here.

This discussion covers a completely different topic and it's for FCP X. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.