Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
This is Apple. They elevated the tablet, mp3, and smartphone industry. They could do it too for the watch!

But people were using tablets(really just computers), mp3 players, and smartphones. They may not have been as popular before Apple did their thing, but they were growing areas. Watch wearing has been on the decline since people started to carry phones/mp3 players in their pockets. You could say Apple really helped to kill the watch industry.

Now Apple is going to have to revive watches, not just improve on something people use.

I am not saying Apple could not really do something with the iWatch, I am just saying this is a different game.

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
I hope it has inductive charging, I would hate to plug a cable in each night to charge like the pebble.

If induction won't work, a magsafe connector would be a second option ... anything but plugging in a physical cable please.

----------

I'd rather see Apple work on something similar to Google Glasses, that are not so fugly.

Me too, but its very hard to get decent runtime from the current batteries/chipsets.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
A cracking idea then. An iPod Nano on a watch strap. Whatever next? They'll be making a mini version of the iPad probably. That's amazing innovation isn't it? Steve would be proud if he was alive today at how Tim Cook has preserved his legacy of ground breaking innovation .....
Oh no! What am I saying?. It's just another harebrained New Apple 'idea' rehashing different versions of the old innovations and hoping no one will notice.
Steve would in fact be turning in his grave instead.
It's only a matter of time before folks wake up and realise that (whisper it) New Apple are treading water ... There's only so long you can get away with rebadging the same old stuff. Harley Davidson have been getting away with rebooting the same bike for the past 30 years but there's no such retro street cred with technology.
Please. No more waffle. Lets lead once more. It's not too late. But. Sadly it soon will be if this is the best they can come up with :mad:

I know; it's terrible what Apple has become. Remember when they tried to make an oversized iPhone that they claimed people could use to browse the web and such? I mean, with an iPhone and laptop, who would need such a thing? Total rubbish, total rehashing, total failure; did any idiots actually buy it?

ClemyNX

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Which is why there is a track-pad on the side to control the UI.
Oops I forgot ignorance is bliss.

Isn't it fascinating that people who have never watched a video of Glass, don't know how it works, or what features it has. Condemn it for no reason what so ever? They don't know anything about it, but they don't care because it wasn't made by Apple therefore.

My god look at that Grade A Logic. The logic that all Apple proponent share.

Of course I know about the trackpad. That's just a terrible way for navigating in a UI. Keep drinking the google Kool aid.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. This guy knows absolutely nothing about Glass but yet is able to make statements like this. Its baffling, Its freaking unbelievable. And yet sad because people won't ever get to enjoy and appreciate great products because of their favoritism to a particular brand.

And instead of trying to use arguments to answer, you use personal attacks. How cute!

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
But people were using tablets(really just computers), mp3 players, and smartphones. They may not have been as popular before Apple did their thing, but they were growing areas. Watch wearing has been on the decline since people started to carry phones/mp3 players in their pockets. You could say Apple really helped to kill the watch industry.

Now Apple is going to have to revive watches, not just improve on something people use.

I am not saying Apple could not really do something with the iWatch, I am just saying this is a different game.

Nothing personal, but I think you (and a lot of other people) are looking at this wrong. It's not about watches, it's about real estate. Apple lost a battle for a key piece of real estate-- the desktop-- to the PC in the 80s and 90s. In the early and mid-2000s, they warred over another piece of real estate, the pocket--from Apple's perspective, the media player had to compete with the cellphone to be the single gadget in your pocket, and Apple's side won. For the 2010s, they are defining the next real estate war to be fought over your wrist. It's a tried and true piece of real estate, even if it's not currenly in vogue, and I think Apple may have chosen well.

filmantopia

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2010
Who will care about the iWatch at the end of 2014?

Yeah, who will care about the archaic notion of wearable tech by the end of 2014? By then we'll be traversing distant galaxies, teleporting, and communicating via telepathy. Heck, it'll be the LAST thing on my mind as I'm struggling to find a buyer for my old piece of junk flying car from my sky-home in order to afford an upgrade for my sentient cyborg servant.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
I would have thought that building a phone would be a bigger challenge that creating a watch - both under the assumption your new to the market which Apple was or is in both cases. The amount of problems if true do surprise me then.

msimpson

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
Underpants Gnomes

Apple "Aggressively" Hiring people with Tiny Fingers for Smart Watch Project.

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
Tim Cook is too busy wasting his time doing nothing but defending iPhone's screen size.

Let's face it, Tim Cook is not CEO material -- certainly not for a company like Apple.

No matter how you slice and dice it, he just does not cut it as Apple CEO. What innovative product has he launched?

By the time 2014 comes around, we would be lucky if Apple is still in business.

Apple's Board of Directors needs to be decisive and replace Tim Cook with someone who actually has vision and charisma.

That you...Einhorn?

msimpson

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
Looking forward to..

Here's what you need to know about Glass: You look like an idiot wearing them. And if you come anywhere near me, you will take them off. Or I will take them off. :D

I am looking forward expectantly to all the Google Glass videos that get posted of a fist smashing into the glasses, and then ending.

wingsabre

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
Well that is a little like saying who needs a computer when we have typewriters?

I'm personally quite skeptical as to the success of anything like an iWatch but I won't put it down just yet.

I always thought having something like a Pipboy from Fallout would be quite cool though.

I disagree. The clear demarcation between type writers and computers is permanence. You don't need whiteout with a computer. Additionally computers eventually took over typewriters as a fundamental technology for business and productivity.

Watches are something that is already becoming a niche market. It is not fundamental for productivity or everyday living. You could add further function to watches like pedometers, temperature, nfc, etc... however it just becomes a high end watch that competes with other high end watches. It's not going to cannibalize another market.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
I disagree. The clear demarcation between type writers and computers is permanence. You don't need whiteout with a computer. Additionally computers eventually took over typewriters as a fundamental technology for business and productivity.

Watches are something that is already becoming a niche market. It is not fundamental for productivity or everyday living. You could add further function to watches like pedometers, temperature, nfc, etc... however it just becomes a high end watch that competes with other high end watches. It's not going to cannibalize another market.

Yes I can see what you mean. Watches are already declining as they are surpassed by smartphones, whereas typewriters were king before computers.

jimmynitcher

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2012
Wonder what it will look like

Can't wait to see what Jonathon Ive comes up with - a rectangle with rounded corners?? Genius!!! How DOES he think of these things!

Elit3

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
And still 4 or 3 years behind Sony :\ Apple are going down, you know they are worth less that Google now (yes, they have more in the bank), but Google ARE WORTH MORE :\ Pick up your bloody game Apple, Samsung, Google, MS, Sony (already deving the 3rd smartwatch), and more have been developing for a while, a long with Google Glass, so you are far behind. :mad:

CountryBobs

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2013
Call me a skeptic, but I really don't see Apple basically telling the world they plan on making a watch and then giving their competitors a couple years to set the bar impossibly low.

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
Nothing personal, but I think you (and a lot of other people) are looking at this wrong. It's not about watches, it's about real estate. Apple lost a battle for a key piece of real estate-- the desktop-- to the PC in the 80s and 90s. In the early and mid-2000s, they warred over another piece of real estate, the pocket--from Apple's perspective, the media player had to compete with the cellphone to be the single gadget in your pocket, and Apple's side won. For the 2010s, they are defining the next real estate war to be fought over your wrist. It's a tried and true piece of real estate, even if it's not currenly in vogue, and I think Apple may have chosen well.

There is a lot of other unused real estate that they could go for: The back of the hand, the inside of your elbow, the rest of the arm, the ankle, the foot, etc.

I know it is not about watches, if Apple just makes a device that sits on your wrist to tell the time, no one would really care. A device that links to your phone is a bit more interesting, but is not going to set the world on fire (Why would people want 2nd device that does the same thing, a few would, but most would not, especially if the screen is too small to do anything outside of tell time and read your texts.)

You have a good point, Apple could really do something with the watch area which is now going unused for many of us. They will need to really come up with something to wow us to win the war for the wrist...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.