Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fSHAD

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
UAE
Ive been using apple products, iPod 4 Gen, iPhone 4S, iPad 2 and a Mac Mini !
first I purchased the iPod then I was amazed by it and bought an iPhone then a Mac Mini for iOS App development and last and iPad ! (Also I am a PC Win7 USER)

Now what I think is apple should allow more freedom in the iPad series cuz as Apple CEO Tim Cook highlighted in a keynote "We live in a Post PC ERA" its "Tablets ERA"

I feel that now days tablet should enable us to do what we did in using a PC, but Stock iOS iPad's arent a substitute for my mac mini, I don't wanna develop apps using iPad but what about downloads, browser choice, browser plugins ?

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011
Ive been using apple products, iPod 4 Gen, iPhone 4S, iPad 2 and a Mac Mini !
first I purchased the iPod then I was amazed by it and bought an iPhone then a Mac Mini for iOS App development and last and iPad ! (Also I am a PC Win7 USER)

Now what I think is apple should allow more freedom in the iPad series cuz as Apple CEO Tim Cook highlighted in a keynote "We live in a Post PC ERA" its "Tablets ERA"

I feel that now days tablet should enable us to do what we did in using a PC, but Stock iOS iPad's arent a substitute for my mac mini, I don't wanna develop apps using iPad but what about downloads, browser choice, browser plugins ?

Whatever Tim Cook or anyone says, we don't yet live entirely in a post PC era.. I believe the % of folks that have JUST a iPad or tablet as their only device is very very low. These devices are another category. iPad is not a very efficient productivity device.. It's a content consumption device.

As far as iPads doing what a PC does, it all depends. iOS works because it's very lightweight requiring minimal hardware to give a good user experience. Minimal hardware equates to portability. When you allow a user to start bloating it with plug-ins and shoddy apps, that experience is compromised. This basically what I experienced when my JB'd iPhone was heavily modified. With that said, I would love to see more freedom in iOS...

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
It's a fine balance to have.

Not allowing users to choose a default browser means Apple can offer a consistant experience for everybody.

But allowing users freedom to chose can enhance the capability of the device for some people.

I think over time, we will see it become more flexible, but never quite as fexible as a PC.

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011
I would like to see Mac OSX on the iPad

I think everyone would, however everyone would cry if the battery life was shortened, the device enlarged, or price increased due to keep it at a reasonable size.

The MS Surface is actually impressive given that it (will) run a full OS. Although since the Pro isn't available, the jury is out.

flight

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
It's a content consumption device.

Please stop saying that. While it's not quite a supercomputer, there are many people creating content on the iPad, myself included. I made a cartoon animation--written, drawn, voiced, animated, and exported to YouTube--using only the iPad and without any experience. Yes, it sucks, but I couldn't do better if I had better hardware. I only spent $10 in apps and created some of it while sitting on the toilet.

j.benj

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2012
Please stop saying that. While it's not quite a supercomputer, there are many people creating content on the iPad, myself included. I made a cartoon animation--written, drawn, voiced, animated, and exported to YouTube--using only the iPad and without any experience. Yes, it sucks, but I couldn't do better if I had better hardware. I only spent $10 in apps and created some of it while sitting on the toilet.

Amen to that! I create pixel art with Sprite Something, I'm working on writing a screenplay, and make silly short videos with clips shot on my iPhone on my iPad mini. I can be quite productive with it and its a pleasure to use while kicking back in my easy chair.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
Sorry Tim--I couldn't live without my laptop--and I am an ipad fan.And good luck with that virtual keyboard! The real genius of apple is to imagine a multi-device world. In this sense--apple is the antithesis of the win 8 vision of hybridization. A consumer can have a mini + air for about $1500. Thats an incredible value.

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011

That's great. What I said is that the PC is more efficient in some tasks. I've tried, but I've never been able to do work as quickly or as effectively on the ipad as I do on a PC.

I can start a fire rubbing a couple of sticks together, but I'd be much more efficient if I used a match. Sorry bad metaphor but it does fit. I do love my ipad but when it comes to serious work, it sits on my desk.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'd take anything Cook says during a keynote with a grain of salt. He's pushing the post pc era when promoting iPads because he wants consumers to buy them intead of [windows] PCs. When promoting his MBP/iMacs he says nothing about post pc eras because he's wanting people to buy apple computers :)

While the tablet can replace many simple tasks of a computer it cannot fully replace one. Its great at content consumption but creation is where it falls down. Other tasks that require mice, keyboards or the need to run multiple apps at the same time (in a windowed view) are also issues with tablets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.