Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Does it make sense that they are cashing in their stock, a stock at a relative low (down about 20% from $700), just so they can avoid a 5% increase in taxes?

I am sure a handsomely paid accountant crunched the numbers and decided now is the time to sell.

Intarweb

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2007
I wonder if he knows something is up in Cuperto. Apple was down nearly 6% earlier and is hovering down 4%.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Does it make sense that they are cashing in their stock, a stock at a relative low (down about 20% from $700), just so they can avoid a 5% increase in taxes?

Many financial experts are predicting a recession after we go over the fiscal cliff at the end of the year. All stock prices including Apple would go considerably lower. Most likely, the Apple employees who are selling their stock believe that selling now is better then paying the tax increase and hoping that the Apple stock price will go higher (in a recession it will fall).

----------

I wonder if he knows something is up in Cuperto. Apple was down nearly 6% earlier and is hovering down 4%.

I'm not sure if somethings up but many people are getting out of the market (not just Apple).

ksnell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2012
Yes, they probably want to be taxed at the current corporate gains rate now. However, to my knowledge, this just means that their unrealized gains become realized and those gains are taxed (at the lower rate). They can then repurchase the stock if they choose, at which point their stock basis essentially resets to new market value (because they were just taxed on the gains up to that amount) so there will be less future gains taxed at the new (higher) rate in the future.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Many financial experts are predicting a recession after we go over the fiscal cliff at the end of the year. All stock prices including Apple would go considerably lower. Most likely, the Apple employees who are selling their stock believe that selling now is better then paying the tax increase and hoping that the Apple stock price will go higher (in a recession it will fall).

----------

I'm not sure if somethings up but many people are getting out of the market (not just Apple).

Yes, I agree with this reasoning. Whether or not we actually go over this fiscal cliff is another story. Either way, cliff or no cliff, I don't think the economy is going to respond favorably. Those of you nearing retirement better get your portfolios in order ASAP. Those who are not, get ready for an excellent buying opportunity.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
No, they are trying to avoid possible/likely tax in creases in a couple of weeks.

Correct. The masses voted for tax & spend, so investors need to make adjustments just like we all should be doing. I'm not receiving any entitlements, so I just need to bend over and take it. Looks like the hard earned money I saved up or a new iMac will now be used to support the new redistribution of wealth society.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Correct. The masses voted for tax & spend, so investors need to make adjustments just like we all should be doing. I'm not receiving any entitlements, so I just need to bend over and take it. Looks like the hard earned money I saved up or a new iMac will now be used to support the new redistribution of wealth society.

Thank you for my new iMac Mr Hankwitz, and my new pair of $200 basketball sneakers. ;)

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004

If you try and second guess what they are up to you'll go crazy. Wait till the end of January next year, hopefully Apple will have a blowout 4th quarter and we'll see $700 again. If not, oh well. When you own 10,000 or more shares of Apple stock you "Think Different" than the rest of us. ;)

Shasterball

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
That's exactly what I was referring to.

Aha -- I thought perhaps the hammer at Apple was falling. I'm very happy their stock is under pressure. Perhaps we will see some more innovation now and less iteration.

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
Apple Senior Vice President of Internet Software and Services Eddy Cue has decided to sell off 15,000 shares of his stock for about $8.8 million, according to a recent regulatory filing. He sold off his Apple stock for about $583.99 a share.

Dear Eddy,

in case you are
a) reading this and
b) wondering how to use the money,

Please remember there are a lot of people out there who could really used things like:
- food
- medicine
- shelter
etc.

Thank you for your time, and have a nice christmas.

RGDS,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.