Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
In other words, the iPod Touch equivalent of the Nexus 4. Does it exist, or is my only option the Galaxy Player?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Since you buy it off contract just get the phone. However there is nothing less expensive. In that case I'd get a nexus 7 wifi only. If you just want a music player apple is probably a better choice.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Since you buy it off contract just get the phone. However there is nothing less expensive. In that case I'd get a nexus 7 wifi only. If you just want a music player apple is probably a better choice.

Agreed. Nothing beats the iPod app on iOS devices. Music on Android devices just isn't the same IMO.

sixteen12

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2011
I never really liked Poweramp. Maybe it has more features but the iPod app is more user-friendly.

Yeah PowerAmp has a pretty bad UI. I never got the love of that app.

iPod has simple controls and works really well. Its missing a few things but its still the best music app on any mobile OS.

Xikum

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2011
iPod touch comes to mind... Same reason kids want iPod touches, great apps + content over wifi, no cellular bills.

Then why not get an iPod Touch? Or an Android version? Why would you ever want to buy a whole phone (for a higher price than a media player)...to not use it as a phone?

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
There's tons of good great music apps on android. Many android phones actually have superior sound quality as well. The galaxy siii and galaxy note ii as well as the galaxy tab line and galaxy players all use wolfson chips which are vastly superior to the cirrus chip apple uses. The nexus 10 also uses the Wolfson chip.

Sincci

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2011
Finland
There's tons of good great music apps on android. Many android phones actually have superior sound quality as well. The galaxy siii and galaxy note ii as well as the galaxy tab line and galaxy players all use wolfson chips which are vastly superior to the cirrus chip apple uses. The nexus 10 also uses the Wolfson chip.

Well, not all of them since the US version of galaxy S3 doesn't use wolfson audio chip.

bmt134

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
Yeah PowerAmp has a pretty bad UI. I never got the love of that app.

iPod has simple controls and works really well. Its missing a few things but its still the best music app on any mobile OS.

What is bad about Power amp's UI. It's screened gestures trounces any UI elements the stock iPhone app has.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Pretty much the ipod touch equivalent will be vanilla Nexus 7, wonder if they will release a smaller option but i doubt it; i dont think theres really a market for it in regards of people that will pick android.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Well, not all of them since the US version of galaxy S3 doesn't use wolfson audio chip.

The us version actually does have the Wolfson chip. The rumors that it didn't turned out to be false.

Last edited:

sixteen12

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2011
What is bad about Power amp's UI. It's screened gestures trounces any UI elements the stock iPhone app has.

It looks like a slightly altered Winamp from the XP days. Its very functional but very ugly. My caveat is I haven't touched PowerAmp since July, so if its changed much, my apologies.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I think that's one thing that will get revamped in Key Lime (Android's next OS) is the media player. It's sooooo difficult to organize music.

bmt134

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
Can someone explain to me how this is a horrifically ugly UI?

Screenshots_2012-12-14-13-24-42-1.jpg

:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.