Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I'm trying a good balance and comprise for my next iMac. Photography editing (RAW files of a D800 and soon an X-Pro 1) is my main hobby, followed by iTunes (music listening and streaming content to my Apple TV), and finally a bit of gaming (Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 and Portal 2, mostly). I may boot camp to Windows for some other games, but I'm not TOO big of a gamer like I used to be.

The iMac's I'm looking at are the same in CPU, RAM, and Fusion Drive, but the difference is the GPU (650M on the 21.5, and 660M on the 27).

There's an $80 difference in the two. Is the 660M worth the extra $80.

Also, I prefer the 21.5 size, but wouldn't mind the 27 if it's worth the 660M GPU.

Thoughts?

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
As you prefer the 21.5 size, get that.

There's a negligible difference between the 650 & 660. If you are in no immediate rush I would hold out for the refresh which would be around September. I would expect to see 7xx GPU's in the new models.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Difference might be up to 15% in games. If you're worried you could always wait for the next. It won't make a noticeable difference with your photo editing. Even integrated graphics would be fine there. X-1 pro sounds cool. I would like to know how it compares to the D800. I read that they weren't using an AA filter. Medium format did away with that years ago. Mirrorless tends to allow for better lens design. An example would be that you can build a wide angle lens that isn't a reverse mounted telephoto. I may eventually be tempted toward something like that due to travel weight.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
As you prefer the 21.5 size, get that.

There's a negligible difference between the 650 & 660. If you are in no immediate rush I would hold out for the refresh which would be around September. I would expect to see 7xx GPU's in the new models.

I've been weighing that too. It'll be the 2nd gen of putting this slim desktops together, plus I'm hoping for 7xx series GPU's or at least higher end 6xx series in the 21.5's as well as going back to 7200RPM drives in the 21.5's. I hope they have better SSD options and have it like the new Macbook's so that it's much faster. I actually prefer to have an all SSD setup.

In the end, I can wait. I'm in no rush. I'm finding with these current configurations, I'm having to make too many compromises. The good GPU's and the faster drives are in the 27's.

The 21.5's seem over priced since you can't upgrade and are forced to pay an extra $200 for another 8 gigs (and I need the full 16 gigs for photo editing). Frankly, that's too much.

Even with the much needed fusion drive, that's another $200, since Apple decided to go with slow 5400rpm drives, which is a problem when I go to game on boot camp. Combine that with the gimped VRAM on the GPU's, I'm not getting that much power for the price. A $1499 computer suddenly becomes a $2000 computer because Apple gimps the baseline and forces you to the overpriced upgrades.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
I have the current 21.5" iMac and it's fantastic. However, if I was in your position (i.e. in no rush) I think waiting a few months to get a better machine for your money makes perfect sense.

Of course Apple being Apple could screw people over and remove a discrete GPU entirely and replace with Intel's 5xxx integrated solution. This is of course highly unlikely but Apple have done many dumb things like this in the past...

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
Given the resolution difference, I believe the 650M drives the 21" better than the 660M drives the 27".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.