Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jan 6, 2015, 11:38 PM   #926
Huntn
macrumors G3

I listened to a report about the little girl who survived a small plane crash that killed her parents, sister, and cousin. Three of thiose interviewed attributed it as an act of God.

-God led her out.
-God has a plan for her for the greater good.
-God chose her to continue the family.

These answers are directed at the religious by the religious who want a definitive answer as opposed to luck, circumstance, roll of the dice, unknown. I sincerely believe this does no service to anyone, just reinforces the fantasy.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/02/us/kentucky-plane-crash/
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2015, 10:43 AM   #927
Huntn
macrumors G3

We've heard a lot about France and Muslims, I'm curious is there anyone who can look at a woman in a burqa and not see blatant sexist oppressions? I do (see oppression).

Click image for larger version

Name:	burka.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	524139

It's interesting that France banned the wearing of burqas in public places and a suit against the ban was brought on behalf of a French woman of Pakistani descent who wears a burqa. A European Human Rights Court upheld the ban (July 2014).

Which brings up the next question, should you be prevented from wearing a burlap sack from head to toe if you want to, or are expected to by your men folk?

My opinion is that you should be allowed, but that in certain security related situations like a airport security, you'll have to show your face and make it through without beeping.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 10:51 AM   #928
b0fh666
macrumors 6502

it should be banned (the burca) for security reasons alone.

if you want to wear one at home, fine. on the streets, nay.
b0fh666 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2015, 10:57 AM   #929
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0fh666 View Post
it should be banned (the burca) for security reasons alone.

if you want to wear one at home, fine. on the streets, nay.

Do we have to ban these too?

Old Jan 10, 2015, 10:59 AM   #930
b0fh666
macrumors 6502

if not really cold yes, definitely
b0fh666 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2015, 11:10 AM   #931
Huntn
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
Do we have to ban these too?

I've all ready said you should be allowed to wear a sack if that is what you want, emphasis on "you", but you should not be forced to, or be beaten if you don't comply. That said, the graphics you posted involve frigid temps, while burqas are frequently worn in blast furnace weather. Of note, tradional hot desert garb consisted of billowing clothing, but today more times than not, the men wear whatever they want, and the women get sacks.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 11:15 AM   #932
sodapop1
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
I listened to a report about the little girl who survived a small plane crash that killed her parents, sister, and cousin. Three of thiose interviewed attributed it as an act of God.

-God led her out.
-God has a plan for her for the greater good.
-God chose her to continue the family.

These answers are directed at the religious by the religious who want a definitive answer as opposed to luck, circumstance, roll of the dice, unknown. I sincerely believe this does no service to anyone, just reinforces the fantasy.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/02/us/kentucky-plane-crash/
The funny thing is whether or not it was an act of God should be irrelevant to all of us. It doesn't change the fact that we are here nor does it explain why we are here. I find it hard to believe that a person's faith, or lack thereof, is decided buy a single incident in one's lifetime. There are those who believe that they will be held accountable for their actions while on this Earth and those who don't. The great thing is we are all free to believe either one.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 11:34 AM   #933
Huntn
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodapop1 View Post
The funny thing is whether or not it was an act of God should be irrelevant to all of us. It doesn't change the fact that we are here nor does it explain why we are here. I find it hard to believe that a person's faith, or lack thereof, is decided buy a single incident in one's lifetime. There are those who believe that they will be held accountable for their actions while on this Earth and those who don't. The great thing is we are all free to believe either one.
I agree with your observation, however there are people who expect their religion to provide an answer for an event like this one, and who believe there is a proactive, hands-on God who keeps a ledger of who will die, but most disturbing, who gets to live based on God's pleasure or approval. We have too many cases of bad things happening to good people and good things happening to bad people to put any faith in this concert, especially survival based on heavenly merit or purpose. I prefer to believe that we are here without any guarantees of how long that will be for, subject to the chance that a physical being is exposed to living in a world of danger. And if that life is cut short, I would not be surprised if there will be more chances to experience a mortal existence.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues