Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zack Magee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
Hi

Is it possible to configure Apple Maps to read off the directions over a bluetooth connection? I want to be able to hear what Siri is saying over my car's bluetooth.

Thanks!

wharzhee

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
texas
lemme check.. *switches on bluetooth headset*

me: "direction to ..."
siri: "starting route to ...."

yup, it works on bluetooth, alright.

Zack Magee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
Siri will respond, but as you begin moving, each command such as, "in 0.4 miles, turn left onto Jerusalem Avenue", and such, will come out of the iPhone speaker.

fyrehead

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
Wondering the same thing

I posted the question on apple discussions.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4319352

I don't think it works, which is a shame.

The closest thing I found to what I need is waze, except that I need to turn off the screen while driving my motorcycle, and then the iphone stops transmitting to bluetooth, unless I push the bluetooth button on my helmet, then it leaves the connection open for about 20 seconds, but it's a pain in the ass.

Anybody have a solid solution? And I mean really solid, cuz it's dangerous when I pull out my iphone while driving my motorcycle :-(

kemsyko

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2013
I recently noticed that if I use Google Maps turn by turn directions with my Altima Coupe, the directions will play through Bluetooth. Every time a turn is announced, google maps tricks my car into thinking its making a hands free Bluetooth call. I have yet to get Bluetooth working with the Apple Maps. Maybe Apple will add this feature in iOS 6.1??

wymi

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2012
+1 on the Google maps working through the speakers. My display reads "Voicemail" while the turn by turn Google maps prompts are being played through the car speakers.

Evgenyy

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Try playing music over Bluetooth while navigating in maps. It will then establish A2DP connection (which is constant) instead of headset connection. You can then switch off the music but A2DP connection will remain. I have this working perfectly in my car via Bluetooth.

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
Like a previous poster alluded to. It won't work unless the app/phone "tricks" the bluetooth receiver in your car into thinking it is some kind of hands-free call.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.