Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Say you lose your phone, get a replacement, and then a few weeks later, find your old phone. Would it still be functional, or would it be blacklisted by the carrier?

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
Don't think so, no.

And nor does Comcast sell/subsidize televisions when you sign up for a plan with them. That's why the Comcast analogy doesn't work- they only sell the service, while Sprint sells both the service and the phone.

SporkLover

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
Say you lose your phone, get a replacement, and then a few weeks later, find your old phone. Would it still be functional, or would it be blacklisted by the carrier?

On a CDMA carrier, yes. You're also required to send the phone to the company if you find it, or is recovered after theft.

I used to be a consistent phone insurance buyer..... Then I just started setting that money aside to pay for repairs or replacement in case I needed it.... Amazing how much money you can save.

foodog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Or, for the $430 that plan would cost me with one replacement, I'll just go buy a new phone. Unless I plan on loosing a phone EVERY YEAR, it is a significant loss of money. BAD INVESTMENT.

Anyone here with any sort of decent financial background (or has any reference for what is or isn't financially viable) will tell you up and down that carrier plans are a *waste of money*

Never made any claim to its financial sense, just answer the question.

deathcab

macrumors regular
May 26, 2009
Seems like you can just call in, pay the deductible and get a replacement phone sent to you. Someone who has actually used the service would be able to tell you more though.

Generally, most carriers will require you to submit to them a police report documenting the theft or lost item. This prevents customers (especially on GSM networks where it is harder to blacklist phones) from simply claiming they are lost / stolen, and getting a replacement at the deductible cost. The element of a police report adds some risk to the would be scammers (though if felony insurance fraud isn't enough to scare them, I doubt misdemeanor false reporting will).

As far as the lost / stolen phone, the MEID will be blacklisted with Sprint and cannot be activated, even if it is later found and returned.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.