Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2007
Hi,

I'm thinking about giving android a try and am wondering if an unlocked nexus 4 would be a good device despite its age. It's certainly the right price so if I end up not liking the platform I haven't sunk 700 into it.

I'm coming from a 3GS so am used to older phones :)

Thanks.

RetepNamenots

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2009
Hi,

I'm thinking about giving android a try and am wondering if an unlocked nexus 4 would be a good device despite its age. It's certainly the right price so if I end up not liking the platform I haven't sunk 700 into it.

I'm coming from a 3GS so am used to older phones :)

Thanks.

I still think mine is great, and have recommended it to a couple more people since the recent price drop.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
I've got a Nexus4, great little phone for what it is and I would recommend for screen size/quality and overall price.

My only gripe with the phone is the back, it breaks pretty easily and I'm not that tough on phones either.

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2007
Thanks.

I'm still waiting to see what apple brings out but would like a larger screen so android is looking more and more likely.

The fact it's cheap and will do me until i see what the iphone 6 has offer is an added bonus. I'm tempted by the galaxy S4 though...love that screen.

Explicitic

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Undecided
The only downside I can see is you will be spoiled with vanilla Android and won't be able to use anything but that in any future Android devices you may purchase.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
It's a good phone, but it's almost a year old. I'd wait until the Nexus 5 comes out. It'll be cheap also (as that's one of the major goals of the Nexus program).

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2007
ok, ive been reading the 5 should be out in a month or so so i'll keep that in mind for sure.

I think i'll be quite happy with a vanilla android, i just need a phone with a larger screen, not all the gimmicks samsung throws into their phones.

even if i went for a S4, id be tempted with the google play edition rather than the samsung one.

mizaco

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2013
Absolutly. Nexus 4 will give you THE BEST Android experience. Highly recommended for the first time user.

However, today the Moto X is available. So as of today the MotoX is the best experience you can have with the Android. And the hardware is superb I tell ya.

chimpboy74

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2007
Scotland
Hi. I just ordered a nexus 4 after iPhones since the first one. I don't have any major issues with my iphone4 as a device. It's just it's dying now, I don't want to sign a new contract (got a good paygo deal) so want to buy phone upfront. I was hoping for the "lower cost" iPhone that didnt really happen (not knocking apple. I'm sure the 5c will do very well.) it's just my circumstances don't allow me to pay £469 for a new phone. I started looking around (second hand 5, 4s etc) and saw the nexus 4 for £199.

I just happened to sell an old MacBook for £200 so took it as a sign!!!!

Nervous about how I am going to get on with android after years of iOS. But I figured if I don't try I'll never know.

I even took to writing down what I use my phone for most and figured out if it can be done on android. So far, yes. My only worry is iMessage as most of my friends and family are on iPhones. I'm sure other things will come to light that I will miss but similarly I will discover features of android that I find better than iOS!

Anyway. Wish me luck.

indeyxzq

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2013
even if i went for a S4, id be tempted with the google play edition rather than the samsung one.
4.gif

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
I have also been tempted by the Nexus 4 (or 5, or whatever other Google Play Edition phones will be available to me in Canada).

We all knew what to expect from the iPhone 5S, and while I'm sure I'd be happy with it, that same $719 (unlocked 16 GB in Canada) can buy a whole lot of Android phone. I'm torn...

Failurbydesign

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2011
CA
Hi. I just ordered a nexus 4 after iPhones since the first one. I don't have any major issues with my iphone4 as a device. It's just it's dying now, I don't want to sign a new contract (got a good paygo deal) so want to buy phone upfront. I was hoping for the "lower cost" iPhone that didnt really happen (not knocking apple. I'm sure the 5c will do very well.) it's just my circumstances don't allow me to pay £469 for a new phone. I started looking around (second hand 5, 4s etc) and saw the nexus 4 for £199.

I just happened to sell an old MacBook for £200 so took it as a sign!!!!

Nervous about how I am going to get on with android after years of iOS. But I figured if I don't try I'll never know.

I even took to writing down what I use my phone for most and figured out if it can be done on android. So far, yes. My only worry is iMessage as most of my friends and family are on iPhones. I'm sure other things will come to light that I will miss but similarly I will discover features of android that I find better than iOS!

Anyway. Wish me luck.

The stock android experience is the best! I went from android phones to iOS because I was always flashing custom roms to get a better performance. Glad to see Google is offering on multiple devices now!

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I think it's an amazing phone. Had mine for almost seven months now and have been using it without a case since day one. I've never been afraid the glass will break.

It's the fastest phone I have ever used. Never any lag.

w00d

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2010
I have a Nexus 4. I prefer it over the iPhone 5 except for the camera. For the price you can't beat it. $200 USD right now straight from Google. No contract. Screen is awesome. Fast!

maxwelltech

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Irvine, CA, USA
From what I've heard the Nexus 4 had just sold out permanently on Google Play. Didn't get to catch that insane $199 off-contract price, but hopefully the Nexus 5 will be coming soon.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
I haven't used a Nexus device, but I would go with a Google device for sure, vanilla Android all the way.

I switched to Android when the Note 2 came out and within a few months I had flashed a ROM. Nothing exactly "wrong" with TouchWiz, but when you're coming from iOS where everything is just so slick and refined, things really stand out to you.

Even now I still miss iOS, and iOS 7 has pretty much won me back. Now just to wait out the contract on this Note 2...

For someone who wants to "try Android" I'd say you can't go wrong with Nexus. If it's the hardware you want, don't stress about what OS it's running and just flash the ROM you want to use. Easy fix!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.