Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dan5.5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
Hi Everyone!

Apple has agreed to replace my machine due to multiple repairs at the same store and every-time there was another issue. So they are replacing my late 2009 27 iMac i7 for a 2012 27 iMac with the i7. I paid for the fusion drive upgrade but i decided to pass on the upgraded graphics card and now I am having second thoughts.

I don't game on the iMac, I have a PS3 for that. Should I have paid the extra $150?

This is my main machine that I used for photo editing and some video editing and some DVD ripping.

I don't think i will benefit from the upgrade, but wanted another opinion.

luminouslight

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2012
Orlando FL
Hi Everyone!

Apple has agreed to replace my machine due to multiple repairs at the same store and every-time there was another issue. So they are replacing my late 2009 27 iMac i7 for a 2012 27 iMac with the i7. I paid for the fusion drive upgrade but i decided to pass on the upgraded graphics card and now I am having second thoughts.

I don't game on the iMac, I have a PS3 for that. Should I have paid the extra $150?

This is my main machine that I used for photo editing and some video editing and some DVD ripping.

You said you won't game on it but maybe you should reconsider. It's a beast with the 680mx. And the display is so gorgeous, I'd say go for the 680mx. You can always sell it later.

iF34R

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina
I do game on the PC, and now iMac, so I would have surely at least gotten the 675MX, but definitely the 680MX for me.

dan5.5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
I do game on the PC, and now iMac, so I would have surely at least gotten the 675MX, but definitely the 680MX for me.

The i7 comes with 675mx. For day to day usage, I don't think I will see a difference.

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
Hi Everyone!

I HAD THE EXACT SITUATION AS YOU! I also had the same 2009 i7...They offered me a new machine too! They gave me the$1999 iMac i5. I decided to return it and pay out of pocket the extra to get the i7,680mx,fusion...after a week i realized it wasnt worth the $650 out of pocket. I brought it back, pocketed $650 and ABSOLUTELY LOVE MY i5, 675mx...I game, photoshop, everything lighting quick...FOR FREE!!! :)

dan5.5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
I HAD THE EXACT SITUATION AS YOU! I also had the same 2009 i7...They offered me a new machine too! They gave me the$1999 iMac i5. I decided to return it and pay out of pocket the extra to get the i7,680mx,fusion...after a week i realized it wasnt worth the $650 out of pocket. I brought it back, pocketed $650 and ABSOLUTELY LOVE MY i5, 675mx...I game, photoshop, everything lighting quick...FOR FREE!!! :)

Thanks! I think I will be pretty happy with the i7 plus a fusion drive

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011

Its a top of the line iMac and the 675mx is a new and very capable v-card! If you got the 660 id say def upgrade, but you're all good with the 675...in fact people are finding out its really faster than a 675mx and closer to a 680m in performance (its been overclocked for the iMac)

Last edited:

luminouslight

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2012
Orlando FL

You'll be happy regardless which one you get, the new iMacs are fast, silent, and a beauty to look at! Sounds like the 675mx meets your needs so go for that one. Either way enjoy your new imac!

kensic

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2013
Hi Everyone!

look at the picture, and ask yourself if its worth the extra 300 points on the benchmark> (its only about 7%faster)

to me, it's not worth it. probably help with 1-3fps, but then again you dont even play game on it. so no use. 150$ of gas money!

Attachments

• video.PNG
    video.PNG
    54 KB · Views: 147

dan5.5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
Which brand ram has been popular with this generation of iMacs? OWC? Crucial?

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
UK
Which brand ram has been popular with this generation of iMacs? OWC? Crucial?

Crucial
Kingston
Transcend
Corsair

OWC is overpriced and uses the same Micron/Hynix/Samsung memory that every other manufacturer is using.

Don't support a company like OWC, they are the reason that such massive price differences exist for the Mac equivalent of PC parts. Don't get me wrong, companies like Crucial often try it on too with 'Mac Memory' that costs more for the 'Mac' naming but at least they know they're cheeky and have other options. OWC are just waiting for you to bend over.

anisatam

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2011
Hi Everyone!

These two links should answer your question.
http://www.barefeats.com/imac12g4.html
http://www.barefeats.com/imac12g6.html

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.