Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Apr 23, 2012, 05:50 PM   #1
whittallthis
macrumors newbie

Oh refreshes rumors, SSD MBP or MBA

So thanks to some extra overtime and my sister needing a new computer. I am giving her my MBA 2010. So I am now in the market for a new daily computer.

Any advice, new MDP 13' or 15' with 256 SSD or stick with another MBA fully loaded? I am up in arms about the dual vs. quad. I don't really use the optic drive, but I do have the USB superdrive.

Price isn't a huge issue, but I just want something that will be as close to bulletproof in the long run.

Thoughts would great appreciated.

whittallthis is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 08:09 PM   #2
Free Ale
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whittallthis View Post
So thanks to some extra overtime and my sister needing a new computer. I am giving her my MBA 2010. So I am now in the market for a new daily computer.

Any advice, new MDP 13' or 15' with 256 SSD or stick with another MBA fully loaded? I am up in arms about the dual vs. quad. I don't really use the optic drive, but I do have the USB superdrive.

Price isn't a huge issue, but I just want something that will be as close to bulletproof in the long run.

Thoughts would great appreciated.

A more appropriate computer could be assigned with the help of you telling us what you would use it for.
Free Ale is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 08:33 PM   #3
wahvtec
macrumors newbie

man, personally i am waiting for the 15" MBP to be updated with ivy bridge, i like that the 15 has discreet graphics (where as the 13.3 doesn't) and the 15 can be ordered with a higher def screen & antiglare. with the quad core ivy bridge, discreet graphics, and option of anti glare it seems like its worth the extra money. i tested the 2011 15" MBP and everything from opening up a bunch of applications to skyping the 15" seemed to be so snappy and fast compared to the 13.3
wahvtec is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:01 PM   #4
Medic278
macrumors 6502a

I have a MBP 13" late 2011 with a 240GB intel 520 SSD and I love it. I would highly recommend getting the 13" and either have apple install the SSD or do it yourself, you can probably getting a nicer SSD if you do it yourself and its probably cheaper. Since you don't need a quad core there is no point to pay the premium. I have the dual core i7 and its more than enough, it handles everything I throw at it and then some. I also recommend putting in 8GB of RAM, that in combination with the SSD just makes an amazing machine. It is so fast and I never get a beach ball. My SSD loads everything almost instantly its awesome, photoshop opens in less than a snap of the fingers, plus it wakes from sleep in the blink of an eye. I love my 13" MBP its the perfect size and has plenty of power, I hardly use my MBA anymore.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice