Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:23 AM   #26
sbojevets
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Australia
olloclip or photojojo
sbojevets is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:27 AM   #27
D.T.
macrumors 68020
 
D.T.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Vilano Beach, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
I agree with the poster above, a nice zoom lens using the same sort of packaging would be outstanding. Seems like an obvious product too[?] Even is was as big as a pack of Lifesavers or so, it would still be highly portable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbojevets View Post
olloclip or photojojo
Thanks, looks like they have just what I was asking about:

http://photojojo.com/store/awesomene...elephoto-lens/

Cheap too!
D.T. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:15 AM   #28
MacRetina
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
Thanks, looks like they have just what I was asking about:

http://photojojo.com/store/awesomene...elephoto-lens/

Cheap too!
Don't forget to use $5 coupon: CYBER-MONDAY-KCLDJ
__________________
15" MacBook Pro with Retina Display
iPhone 5
█ iPad 2
MacRetina is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:45 AM   #29
Laird Knox
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk Edsel View Post
What's needed is an optical zoom. A wider angle is nice, but fish eye? Increased macro? That's the icing, not the cake.
The cake is a lie.
Laird Knox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:59 AM   #30
ncaissie
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
Thanks, looks like they have just what I was asking about:

http://photojojo.com/store/awesomene...elephoto-lens/

Cheap too!
They have some really cool products. I don't find them cheap though. But I may order something anyway.

Thanks
__________________
2011 MacBook Pro iPod touch 2G iFone 5! iPad 2 ATV 2G
ncaissie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:05 AM   #31
D.T.
macrumors 68020
 
D.T.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Vilano Beach, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaissie View Post
They have some really cool products. I don't find them cheap though. But I may order something anyway.

Thanks
It was actually sbojevets that mentioned the name, but you're welcome

Also, I just tried the coupon code that MacRetina posted,:

CYBER-MONDAY-KCLDJ

Still works! I see the $5 discount in my cart ... side note: this company has the most ridiculously cute cart system ever (add an item, watch carefully )
D.T. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:38 AM   #32
darkslide29
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Francisco, California
guys guys guys!!
you guys missed the must-have will.i.am photo accessory kit on the front page!
You are all wasting your time with this olloclip photojojo nonsense!

/sarcasm
__________________
iPhone 5 32GB iPad Mini with Retina Mac Mini (2011) 256gb SSD 16gb ram Apple TV 3
darkslide29 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:50 AM   #33
darkslide29
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Francisco, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
It was actually sbojevets that mentioned the name, but you're welcome

Also, I just tried the coupon code that MacRetina posted,:

CYBER-MONDAY-KCLDJ

Still works! I see the $5 discount in my cart ... side note: this company has the most ridiculously cute cart system ever (add an item, watch carefully )
I noticed that at $50 they offer free shipping. Their 3-piece lens kit is $49, just need to add $1 more to save the $6 on shipping. Did you happen to find any filler items?

Sales tax too for CA
__________________
iPhone 5 32GB iPad Mini with Retina Mac Mini (2011) 256gb SSD 16gb ram Apple TV 3
darkslide29 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:28 PM   #34
MacRetina
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkslide29 View Post
I noticed that at $50 they offer free shipping. Their 3-piece lens kit is $49, just need to add $1 more to save the $6 on shipping. Did you happen to find any filler items?

Sales tax too for CA
The cheapest I found is this for $6:
http://photojojo.com/store/awesomene...-camera-decal/
__________________
15" MacBook Pro with Retina Display
iPhone 5
█ iPad 2
MacRetina is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:53 PM   #35
Keebler
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolMacGuy View Post
Looking at the example images on their site it appears they hardly do anything. The macro isn't much better than the standard camera can do. The wide-angle you're hard pressed to tell is even wide-angle. The fishbowl is just barely fish-bowled. You could do most all of this with a free app and not have to carry anything around with you.
You have to try one. I find all 3 lenses definitely add to my photographs. Especially the wide. It easily grabs more than the regular lens. Macro does what it should as well. I don't use the fisheye as much, but it works as described.

Cheers,
Keebler
Keebler is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:02 PM   #36
xxnemoxx
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
this is alot smaller, more useful, & overall cheaper than the will.i.am add-on
xxnemoxx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:57 PM   #37
OldSchoolMacGuy
macrumors 6502a
 
OldSchoolMacGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaissie View Post
Will this thing work with a case on your phone? Doesn’t everyone use a case?
It won't work with a case on.

No, not everyone does. Most of my friend's don't. We treat it like the $300 device it is and have no problems. I haven't had a case on my phones since 1999 and have had hundreds of phones with no issues. Never had a case on any of my iPhones since the original. Apple worked hard to create a nice looking phone. Why cover it up with an ugly case.
OldSchoolMacGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:36 AM   #38
JGRE
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dutch Mountains
Help my iPhone has a pimple......
__________________
iPhone 5, 2008 iMac 20", iPod Nano, 2011 MBP 13", ATV3, iPad Mini.
JGRE is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:07 AM   #39
ncaissie
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolMacGuy View Post
It won't work with a case on.

No, not everyone does. Most of my friend's don't. We treat it like the $300 device it is and have no problems. I haven't had a case on my phones since 1999 and have had hundreds of phones with no issues. Never had a case on any of my iPhones since the original. Apple worked hard to create a nice looking phone. Why cover it up with an ugly case.
I know what you mean about covering it up. And cases add a lot of weight to it. But no matter how hard you try to be careful **** always happens. I can't even count how many times my phone slipped out of my hand or I forgot it was on my lap and stood up. I have hardwood and ceramic floors and they are brutal. I don't recall ever seeing anyone without a case on their phone. And I take the bus for 30-40 min each way and see a lot of people playing on their phones.

I would love to go without a case but I need to keep it on my belt. Anyone who keeps them in their pocket is just asking for it to bend or scratch from other things in their pockets.
__________________
2011 MacBook Pro iPod touch 2G iFone 5! iPad 2 ATV 2G
ncaissie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:17 PM   #40
OldSchoolMacGuy
macrumors 6502a
 
OldSchoolMacGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaissie View Post
I know what you mean about covering it up. And cases add a lot of weight to it. But no matter how hard you try to be careful **** always happens. I can't even count how many times my phone slipped out of my hand or I forgot it was on my lap and stood up. I have hardwood and ceramic floors and they are brutal. I don't recall ever seeing anyone without a case on their phone. And I take the bus for 30-40 min each way and see a lot of people playing on their phones.

I would love to go without a case but I need to keep it on my belt. Anyone who keeps them in their pocket is just asking for it to bend or scratch from other things in their pockets.
I guess some of us are just more careful than others. My iPhone 4 is in brand new shape after 2 years of use (reminds me I should sell it since its just sitting now).

For many, they also realize that by the time the phone does get a bit banged up, they're buying a new one and moving on anyways so it doesn't matter.
OldSchoolMacGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:29 PM   #41
The Tuck
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by duneriderltr450 View Post
The macro lens is only for close-ups. It starts to get blurry about 3 or 4 inches out.
It can be used for a nice "bokeh" effect if it's dark and there are a bunch of lights.

Tuck
The Tuck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 05:02 PM   #42
BHP41
macrumors 6502a
 
BHP41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: United States of America
So my in-laws bought me a telephoto lens for my birthday. I haven't had any time to go anywhere and snap any good shots but I took this one of my cats.

The quality isn't that bad but I would love to see this market explode so we could get some nice lenses with some quality glass.

It's edited in CS6.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-12X...item257886f335

What I like about it is that it has a case that allows the lens to be screwed on. I'm trying to find some other lenses that will work with it also.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5433-1.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	348.0 KB
ID:	382544  
BHP41 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 05:28 PM   #43
rtdunham
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: St. Petersburg, FL, Northern KY
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHP41 View Post
...It's edited in CS6.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-12X...item257886f335

What I like about it ...
So is it a zoom, or is it a fixed focus 12x telephoto?

The ad calls it a "zoom magnifier" but the specs describe it simply as "magnification 12x" and I didn't see anything else referring to any zoom capacity. if it's a zoom it'd be a handy cheap tool to keep around.

And since you've got one, if it IS a zoom, does it start at the same focal length as the camera-without-a-lens? And is the zoom function push-pull, or rotate?
rtdunham is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 06:44 PM   #44
BHP41
macrumors 6502a
 
BHP41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtdunham View Post
So is it a zoom, or is it a fixed focus 12x telephoto?

The ad calls it a "zoom magnifier" but the specs describe it simply as "magnification 12x" and I didn't see anything else referring to any zoom capacity. if it's a zoom it'd be a handy cheap tool to keep around.

And since you've got one, if it IS a zoom, does it start at the same focal length as the camera-without-a-lens? And is the zoom function push-pull, or rotate?
Just a fixed 12x. The part with the rubber on it rotates to bring you into focus. It's a nice piece for the price but I too am still on the lookout for a actual zoom lens. If I find one I'll post it here.
BHP41 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 07:01 PM   #45
rtdunham
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: St. Petersburg, FL, Northern KY
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHP41 View Post
Just a fixed 12x. The part with the rubber on it rotates to bring you into focus. It's a nice piece for the price but I too am still on the lookout for a actual zoom lens. If I find one I'll post it here.
Thanks. I'd bought an 8x (which works ok, btw) so I'll pass on this. But boy, talk about mis-naming a product!

I'm 1000 miles from home and don't have that 8x with me, but if i'm not mistaken, the olloclip lenses match the threads on the case mounting, which makes for some convenience. Now, if someone would bring out a circular polarizer that would fit...
rtdunham is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:36 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC