Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Old Mar 8, 2011, 03:50 PM   #1
joni123
macrumors newbie

Fujitsu Siemens Product Recovery CD-ROM SP2 ???

I have Macbook Pro 13" 2011 and its a beast. I just wanted to try out some old(ish) games like Oblivion I have and to do that I needed to separate my Mac in partitions.

My question is: Do I have the right Windows installation CD?
It was in this green box with Windows XP Home Edition label on it. Its an old box, since I already have that same Windows installed in my older computer.
The CD is called Fujitsu Siemens Product Recovery CD-ROM Service Pack 2
Is that the right CD to install Windows with? Im not sure if its just a Recovery CD, or is it also Windows install CD since it also says that its SP2. I once formatted and re-installed Windows OS with this CD though, so it should have all the necessary data to do succesfull Windows OS installation?

What happens if it really just is a recovery CD and I cant install Windows with it? Will I be screwed and my Mac wrecked?

PS: For what I can remember, there wasnt any other CDs in that green Windows Home Edition - box. Just this Fujitsu Siemens´ Recovery CD ROM.
Is this all I need to install Windows?

thanks
joni123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2011, 04:02 PM   #2
old-wiz
macrumors 604

The recovery disks cannot install Windows on another machine; they are specific to the machine they ship with.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:58 PM   #3
Dantai
macrumors newbie

joni123, do you think I could buy that disc off you?
Dantai is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:27 PM   #4
murphychris
macrumors 6502a

Just make sure you have a solid backup first. The forums are littered with people experiencing data loss as a result of going even slightly off the rails with Boot Camp. By slightly I mean doing things like creating just one more partition than is allows (yet undocumented, and Disk Utility won't prevent you from doing it) - poof, loss of all Windows data. No warning.

Windows XP isn't supported except with older Apple hardware and OS's, it's been Windows 7 or greater for some time, so the current Boot Camp Assistant won't help you. It will only resize your disk when it's first given a Windows 7 install DVD.

Etc.
murphychris is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac