Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac2004

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Well I purchased a new black iPhone 5 last night at Best Buy ($50 off deal so it was $149). I went with Verizon (hope I made the right decision there).

I have 2 questions......

Do I purchase Best Buy's insurance coverage plan or do I get AppleCare? If so, how do I get AppleCare on a phone I purchased at best Buy and how much does it cost?

What is the best iPhone case out there for the iPhone. I like something with a good grip (perhaps rubber like material). I mostly want to protect the back against scratches.

The guy at Best Buy told me they can put a clear coat on the screen to protect it? Has anyone done that?

I got the 16GB model but he said I have 30 days to determine if that's the right model or not in case I change my mind and want the 32GB instead. They said the 16GB was the most popular selling model.

fryrice

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2012
Boston, MA
i dont believe apple care covers stolen/lost or broken iphones, as for the best buy insurance i think it covers all of the above. but of course if you get bb insurnace you need to go through bb for the warranty stuff.

correct me if i am wrong. :p

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
The best buy geek squad protection ran either 12.99 or 14.99, I'm not fully sure, but even at 12.99 per month, this is $155.88. For a two year agreement, you'll be spending $311.76 in total to insure your phone.

To me, this is just too much. Especially considering that your first year with the phone you have a substantial warranty already baked into the device through apple. I've already had a good experience going to a genius and explaining an 'issue' I have with my phone, ipad or nano and them being very lax about just switching it out for a new one instead of taking your device and attempting to fix your issue. Best Buy, I dunno what they'll do, but you pay a hell of allot more for their protection.

Step up to $99.00 for AppleCare+ and you extend your year warranty to two years which includes full phone support and up to two $49 accident forgiveness (ie. water damage, drops, cracks, etc) replacement phones during this period. To me, this is a better deal than Geek Squad offers for around $300.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Just purchase Applecare+ through Apple. If you go into the accessories section you will find tons of threads on cases to choose from.

Kyle2123

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2012
SquareTrade was running a deal a few days ago for a 2 year iPhone 5 warranty with accidental damage protection for $59. Accidental damage has a $50 deductible, but they waive it if you take the phone in to the Apple Store. Not going to find a better deal than that.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Well I purchased a new black iPhone 5 last night at Best Buy ($50 off deal so it was $149). I went with Verizon (hope I made the right decision there).

I have 2 questions......

Do I purchase Best Buy's insurance coverage plan or do I get AppleCare? If so, how do I get AppleCare on a phone I purchased at best Buy and how much does it cost?

What is the best iPhone case out there for the iPhone. I like something with a good grip (perhaps rubber like material). I mostly want to protect the back against scratches.

The guy at Best Buy told me they can put a clear coat on the screen to protect it? Has anyone done that?

I got the 16GB model but he said I have 30 days to determine if that's the right model or not in case I change my mind and want the 32GB instead. They said the 16GB was the most popular selling model.

I just picked up a couple of 32GB iPhone 5s (one white, one black) from BB, same savings, $50 discount ($249 sub'ed with a two year contract).

I also went with Verizon, having been on AT&T for several years. So far, it's been the right choice. We can now use our phones at our house, so we're dropping most of our land-line services, and up in town, when the LTE kicks in full strength, I'm getting 26Mbps/10Mbps (down/up). We went with the 4GB, shared, so 4GB data across the two phones, unlimited text and talk, hotspots on both, FaceTime ... and that's $30/month cheaper.

Would like to have had the option to buy a 64GB, not 100% sure, but for us, the 16GB devices just get filled up to quickly with our core apps and typical music/picture content.

Step up to $99.00 for AppleCare+ and you extend your year warranty to two years which includes full phone support and up to two $49 accident forgiveness (ie. water damage, drops, cracks, etc) replacement phones during this period. To me, this is a better deal than Geek Squad offers for around $300.

Yeah, if I was going with an extended service plan, it would be with Apple (I do have AC on my MBP).

FWIW, you can get AppleCare+ up to 30 days after purchase, you just have to visit an Apple store to confirm the device is OK (i.e., they don't want you to break it first, then purchase it after-the-fact).

adeedew

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2005
squaretrade or applecare+, both about same, SQ cheaper a bit or if you happen to get a coupon cheaper by a lot

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
SquareTrade was running a deal a few days ago for a 2 year iPhone 5 warranty with accidental damage protection for $59. Accidental damage has a $50 deductible, but they waive it if you take the phone in to the Apple Store. Not going to find a better deal than that.

squaretrade or applecare+, both about same, SQ cheaper a bit or if you happen to get a coupon cheaper by a lot

I'd agree with both of these posts -- warranty wise, SquareTrade is probably the best option. Hopefully they'll offer more deals like they did last week as Christmas gets closer.

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
I work at Geek Squad, the way the warranties work is actually pretty nice IMO

You can either pay $14.99 a month for 2 years, or by it outright (I don't know that amount off the top of my head most get the monthly). It covers cracks, drops, spills and general defects. (Technically it doesn't cover submersion, but as long as you don't mention that they can't turn you done.)

The process is that you bring you phone in, they send it out. Within a half hour of making the order to send yours out they have another one in process to already be sent to store. Usually 2-4 business days to get your phones. It is refurbished, but they are directly from foxconn like apples refurbs.

There is no limit or additional costs. No deductibles.

I have used it myself multiple time. Best buy also has loaner phones for yours while its gone.

B.A.T

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2009
Idaho
Since you are on Verizon can you buy insurance through them? I believe it is around $9 a month from what a coworker told me.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Buy Applecare+.

It covers Accidental Damage.

It is a one time purchase.

Deductible is $50 per accidental damage incident.

Buying 'insurance' from the provider is a forever investment.

Even at $9/month that is $216 0ver the life of a two year contract.

Then you have to call to file a claim and wait for the replacement phone to arrive.

From what I recall the providers do not cover the phones, they just act as an agent for an insurance company. The name ASURION comest to my mind as the insurer.

With Applecare+ - take the broke phone to the Apple store and walk out with a replacement.

ant the ninja

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2012
I went with the geek squad protection and not the provider insurance.

It covers absolutely everything and it comes with unlimited free replacements. I rarely ever break my phone but accidents do happen. I like to know that I am fully covered no matter what.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.