Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pixelsinthesky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2012
I made sure to search the forums beforehand, but I couldn't find it anywhere. Do I lose the AppleCare if I give the Mac to someone else (ie. is it vinculated to the computer's serial number or to my Apple ID?)? Furthermore, if I reinstall the OS, do I lose it? I'll receive a lightly used MBA from a relative and I would like to restore the Mac to factory settings, but I won't do so with that means I'll lose the coverage.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I made sure to search the forums beforehand, but I couldn't find it anywhere. Do I lose the AppleCare if I give the Mac to someone else (ie. is it vinculated to the computer's serial number or to my Apple ID?)? Furthermore, if I reinstall the OS, do I lose it? I'll receive a lightly used MBA from a relative and I would like to restore the Mac to factory settings, but I won't do so with that means I'll lose the coverage.

AppleCare follows the device, not the owner.

AppleCare
AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac or Apple Display

• You can buy AppleCare any time during the first year warranty period, so you don't have to buy it at time of purchase.
  • You can check your remaining warranty and/or AppleCare coverage here
  • AppleCare will extend the 1 year warranty for an additional 2 years, for a total of 3 years coverage from the date of your Mac purchase.
    It also extends telephone support from 90 days, which is included with your original warranty, to a total of 3 years.
  • You cannot buy AppleCare again or renew it once it expires.
  • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover damage from accidents, spills, etc. They only cover manufacturing defects.
  • AppleCare+ provides some coverage for accidental damage, but is only available for the iPad and iPhone, not for Apple computers.
  • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover batteries that have worn out. They only cover defective batteries.
  • You can buy AppleCare from Apple or from other sources, such as Amazon, B&H Photo Video, L.A. Computer Company and others. Exercise caution when buying from sites such as eBay, as some AppleCare offers have been scams.
  • For more detailed questions, read the AppleCare Protection Plan (pdf) agreement.

Orange Crane

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
You can reformat and reinstall the os as much as youd like, it will not affect your AppleCare coverage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.