Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emsworthboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 20, 2012
Emsworth, England
I recently purchased a iMac 27 inch (late 2012) from John Lewis. When I ordered they showed "more than 10 in stock". I got an email confirming it would be delivered on my nominated date. The on-line status says "despatched for delivery on 21st December". When it did not arrive I rang customer services and they told me that there was no stock and I would not get it until sometime next year. Could my one have been diverted to another customer? I am a loyal John Lewis and Waitrose customer - I even have the christmas tree they use in their adverts - but it looks as if Christmas will pass without Santa delivering. Has anyone on the forum had a similare issue or even managed to get one from the store?

:mad:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I had several issues with JL over Apple related products and the ordering system. From my experience ( which only involved covers and a case) they showed stock, gave me a delivery date,( Nobody else Amazon included had any stock in the UK) they then emailed me the day it was due to be delivered and switched the delivery date. I hope this doesn't happen to you, but I've avoided the ever since.

emsworthboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 20, 2012
Emsworth, England
I had several issues with JL over Apple related products and the ordering system. From my experience ( which only involved covers and a case) they showed stock, gave me a delivery date,( Nobody else Amazon included had any stock in the UK) they then emailed me the day it was due to be delivered and switched the delivery date. I hope this doesn't happen to you, but I've avoided the ever since.

Looks like it except they didn't let me know, I rang after it did not arrive and was told there was no stock. The credit card company rang to make sure it was me spending the money, so something must of happened. Sounds like JL IT could do with some computers to make their systems work!

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Looks like it except they didn't let me know, I rang after it did not arrive and was told there was no stock. The credit card company rang to make sure it was me spending the money, so something must of happened. Sounds like JL IT could do with some computers to make their systems work!

I think it's more a case of sell it, then the buyer won't want the hassle of cancelling the order so we can still keep the sale...Like I said, I'm darn sure they knew that they didn't have any stock of the cases I ordered...Nobody else did either...They just thought i'd stick with them. I didn't and have never used them again. If they had told the truth initially, the price was good so they shot themselves in the foot...I would have waited the extra week. I dislike being mis-led which is why i cancelled that order.

Last edited:

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
The big advantage with John Lewis is the extra free year of warranty that they give. I had a MBP where the battery died about a year and a half after I bought it, I took the unit to the service centre, explained the problem, ordered a new battery and called me when it arrived. They then swapped the battery over.

While it sucks that the store said they had stock and they clearly let you down in this case. Unfortunately this can happen with complex warehouse systems. Sometimes the system can show stock, but due to a warehouse error the stock gets put in a different warehouse location to that which is on the system, when the warehouse staff go to pick it, it is not where it should be.

I would contact John Lewis and complain and maybe you will get some money off or a voucher or something. Their customer service is usually pretty good, but they are not infallible.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK

Maybe the stock isn't allocated until they've got clearance from the credit card company. As that took longer maybe someone else got the item allocated to them.

Annoying I know, but it's an item that's in very short supply and resellers never seem to get a decent share from Apple compared to their own stores.

emsworthboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 20, 2012
Emsworth, England
Maybe the stock isn't allocated until they've got clearance from the credit card company. As that took longer maybe someone else got the item allocated to them.

Annoying I know, but it's an item that's in very short supply and resellers never seem to get a decent share from Apple compared to their own stores.

We did have a phone call from the credit card people within minutes. It was actually a John Lewis card! So that should have been as quick a process as anyone else.

----------

The big advantage with John Lewis is the extra free year of warranty that they give. I had a MBP where the battery died about a year and a half after I bought it, I took the unit to the service centre, explained the problem, ordered a new battery and called me when it arrived. They then swapped the battery over.

While it sucks that the store said they had stock and they clearly let you down in this case. Unfortunately this can happen with complex warehouse systems. Sometimes the system can show stock, but due to a warehouse error the stock gets put in a different warehouse location to that which is on the system, when the warehouse staff go to pick it, it is not where it should be.

I would contact John Lewis and complain and maybe you will get some money off or a voucher or something. Their customer service is usually pretty good, but they are not infallible.

I agree about the year - that's why I decided to use them and not preorder from Apple on 30th November. I have exchanged email with customer service, but no voucher! As they still cannot explain why it still says on the order status "out for dispatch" I have written the the MD. I no longer expect any pleasant surprise this year.

OnceYouGoMac

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2012
In front of my Mac
Bought both my Macs from them. No problems with their service whatsoever. I also like the 3 years (was 2 when I bought my Macbook Pro) free warranty and the fact they don't try to force rubbish like AppleCare or One to One on you when you buy the Mac. It's no-nonsense in there. I bought my Macs there because it was cheaper than buying here in Ireland and the service is better. I shop in John Lewis/Waitrose every time I go over to the UK. My dad also bought his PC laptops there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.