Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
You have to extract the .tgz file to get another ZIP file which contains the boot, recovery, system, and userdata images. The bootloader image is in the .tgz archive, while the other images are in the ZIP included with the .tgz.
Extract these and follow the directions:

"1) Make sure your computer recognizes your device by typing: fastboot devices
2) Unlock your bootloader (if you have not already done so): fastboot oem unlock
3) You will see a prompt on your device. This will wipe your entire device (including the /sdcard folder). Accept. Note: you use the volume keys to change the option and the power button to accept. You cannot use the touch screen.
4) Reboot by typing: fastboot reboot-bootloader
5) Flash the bootloader: fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-mako-makoz10l.img (or whatever the name of the bootloader image that you downloaded).
6) Reboot: fastboot reboot-bootloader
7) Flash the radio: fastboot flash radio radio-mako-m9615a-cefwmazm-2.0.1700.33.img (or whatever the name is of the radio image that you downloaded).
8) Reboot: fastboot reboot-bootloader
9) Flash the system partition: fastboot flash system system.img
10) Optional (NOT optional for n00bs) -- Flash the data partition: fastboot flash userdata userdata.img Note: this command will wipe your device (including /sdcard), EVEN if your bootloader is already unlocked. See note 2 below.
11) Flash the kernel/ramdisk: fastboot flash boot boot.img
12) Optional (NOT optional for n00bs) -- Flash the recovery partition: fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
13) Erase the cache partition: fastboot erase cache
14) Reboot: fastboot reboot
15) Done! The first boot will likely take quite a bit longer than you are used to, as Android builds the Dalvik cache. "

Don't skip steps 9 and 10, though. You'll need fastboot and and the correct drivers installed.

I actually opened the .tgz to see what was in it, and I found the .zip you are talking about.

So I tried taking that whole .tgz and recompressing it as a .zip, CWM gave an error when trying that.

Then I tried just the .zip that was inside the .tgz. CWM gave another error.

Then I took the contents of the internal .zip and combined it with the rest of the contents in the .tgz and zipped them up. CWM gave another error.

Explicitic

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Undecided
I actually opened the .tgz to see what was in it, and I found the .zip you are talking about.

So I tried taking that whole .tgz and recompressing it as a .zip, CWM gave an error when trying that.

Then I tried just the .zip that was inside the .tgz. CWM gave another error.

Then I took the contents of the internal .zip and combined it with the rest of the contents in the .tgz and zipped them up. CWM gave another error.

(NOTE: I downloaded the jop40d build; your file names may be slightly different if you downloaded the other build).
You can't actually flash this with CWM. These are stock images, the images being referred to are the .img files in the archives. They are flashed with fastboot.
Download this file and extract it into a folder (name doesn't matter) - http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1506153&d=1353717141
If you haven't installed any adb/fastboot drivers for your Nexus 4, follow the instructions here to do so - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1992345
Once you have those two things, extract the files "bootloader-mako-makoz10l.img" and "radio-mako-m9615a-cefwmazm-2.0.1700.33.img" into the same folder as the one above (the one with the fastboot and adb programs). Then open the "image-occam-jop40d.zip" file and extract everything in there into the same folder.
Put your N4 in fastboot mode by powering it off then simultaneously pressing the power and volume down buttons. Open a CMD and "cd" to the folder containing all the files. Check that fastboot can detect your N4 by entering "fastboot devices". It should be pretty obvious.
Now, if you haven't unlocked your bootloader, do so by using "fastboot oem unlock." Then follow steps 4-15 in my previous post.
I'm assuming you use Windows btw...but it should work almost the same way on Mac.

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
So how do I get ROM manager or CWM to recognize the factory images?

EDIT: And all my TitaniumBackup stuff is .tar.gz or .apk.gz. No .tgz.

Sorry, I just went back through this thread. I misread the filename extension. TGZ is a factory image file. If you do have that still, you are set.

Google search for Wugs Toolkit. I believe latest version is within the last month (1.6.2 I think).
Anyway, with a Windows computer, download this toolkit and you can root, unroot, load custom roms, load stock rom (utilizing the tgz file) so you will be back to stock.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Sorry, I just went back through this thread. I misread the filename extension. TGZ is a factory image file. If you do have that still, you are set.

Google search for Wugs Toolkit. I believe latest version is within the last month (1.6.2 I think).
Anyway, with a Windows computer, download this toolkit and you can root, unroot, load custom roms, load stock rom (utilizing the tgz file) so you will be back to stock.

Awesome. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.